• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Black Friend Defends Zimmerman

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
Chicago Tribune
Daniel Trotta

2:18 p.m. CDT, March 25, 2012

SANFORD, Florida (Reuters) - George Zimmerman cried for days in remorse after shooting dead a black Florida teenager, a family friend of Zimmerman said on Sunday, offering a sympathetic portrayal of the man at the focal point of a national uproar.

Zimmerman, 28, a white Hispanic, shot Trayvon Martin, 17, in what he said was self defense during an altercation in the gated community Zimmerman was watching on February 26 in Sanford, Florida. After barely going noticed for weeks, the case has triggered protests and renewed a national discussion about race.

"He couldn't stop crying. He's a caring human being," Joe Oliver, 53, a former television news reporter and anchor in Orlando who has known Zimmerman for several years, told Reuters in a telephone interview.

"I mean, he took a man's life and he has no idea what to do about it. He's extremely remorseful about it," Oliver said, relating stories told to his mother-in-law, a close friend of Zimmerman's wife.

Oliver's account counters the withering criticism Zimmerman has sustained from demonstrators across the country who have demanded his arrest and accused him of racial bias in targeting Martin. Celebrities have taken up the cause of justice for Trayvon, and President Barack Obama said "all of us have to do some soul-searching" as a result of the tragedy.

"I'm a black male and all that I know is that George has never given me any reason whatsoever to believe he has anything against people of color," Oliver said.

Sanford police did not arrest Zimmerman, saying the evidence could not disprove his account of self-defense, though the case is under review by a state special prosecutor and the U.S. Justice Department.

Zimmerman dropped out of public view shortly after the shooting and his whereabouts were unknown. The New Black Panther Party, an African American organization taking its name from the radical group of the 1960s, has placed a $10,000 bounty on Zimmerman.

"All these people who are threatening George, what makes them any better than the person they think he is?" Oliver said. "You've got all these people wanting to lynch the man and they don't know the whole story. There are huge gaps that are being filled in and interpreted without evidence."

Oliver tried to reach Zimmerman after the shooting but he had not spoken with him until Saturday in a conversation arranged by Zimmerman's lawyer.

As a black man, he said he understands how minorities are often unfairly treated, but he believed Zimmerman was simply doing his job by growing suspicious over an unfamiliar person walking through a neighborhood that had suffered some break-ins. Martin lived in Miami but was with his father on a visit to his father's fiancée's home inside the gated community.

"I understand how they're able to leap to the conclusion. You have a dead teenager. This guy is white so it must be a hate crime. There's going to be evidence to come out that basically will justify George's concern," Oliver said.

"He (Zimmerman) confirmed for me that he was not the aggressor. But I did not go into details as to how it got to that aggressive point," Oliver said.

At one point Oliver became choked up with emotion talking about his friend but said he was coming forward freely even though it may expose him to reprisals.

"I just have to do what's right, not just for my friend but for everyone involved," Oliver said. "His mother in law lost her job for this. He's in hiding. His mother in law can't see her own daughter because she fears for their lives."

As more facts come out, it is easier to see how the police came to the decision not to pursue charges..

Witness accounts
Another witness, Mary Cutcher, believes "there was no punching, no hitting going on at the time, no wrestling" just prior to the shooting, though she neither saw the shooting nor the preceding altercation.[66],... The police say she gave an official account to them that agreed with Zimmerman's story.

and that they demanded that the police retract that incorrect statement.

this is one of the witnesses that the media is quoting over and over, despite factual evidence that shows Mary Cutcher didn't see the altercation and has changed her story..

maybe she could explain how Zimmerman had lacerations on the back of his head and a broken nose? ,... if there was no punching, no hitting, no wrestling before the shooting she didn't see?

and maybe the media can explain why they haven't even asked basic questions.. instead of taking her version as gospel..

Trayvon's supension from school was because the school found marijuana in this poor little innocent child's backpack. Of course the media has his mom and dad out bad mouthing the police that they are tarnishing their son's reputation by leaking the information. I guess we are not to know this 6 foot 2 inch gangster looking football player did drugs and was sitting on top of a guy that was out protecting his neighborhood and bashing his head into the ground, which was why he was shot. There is nothing more deceitful than the media continuing to use the OLD innocent looking pictures of this young man. They are pushing the chance of violence by making this kid out to be something he plainly wasn't by the evidence now coming out. :x
What happen to the days when you could trust the media to tell the true?

:x

They are saying that his past is not relevant but they certainly used Zimmerman's past against him,

and his (Travon's) Mother seems to believe that her son having been caught with stolen jewelry is of no concern, she referred to the school record of it as rumor. It's not rumor it was filed at the time he was suspended for graffiti, while looking for the marker he used for graffiti they discovered 12 items of women's jewelry. I would like to know where the jewelry came from and did the police search the residence of his Father, it's too late now but there might have been other stolen property in that residence.

as more facts come out on the internet... the media is forced to deal with them..

hopefully it isn't to late to stop the rioting...

Trayvon's, or NO_LIMIT_NIGGA, as he liked to call himself, history definitely has an impact on this story.

Who would have guessed that someone that has previously be found with drug baggies and stolen property would be acting like a crook and on drugs :???:

And another stupid question: If Zimmerman was following him and Martin was wearing a hoodie, how did Zimmerman determine that he was black?

Here's my opinion.

There had been quite a few thefts and one murder in the area, in the previous year.

And there was an unknown kid in the neighborhood, that was noticed by Zimmerman.

Trayvon was in a "hood" he didn't know, and didn't know the "players". Zimmerman pulls up checking for suspicious activity (just doing his job)

Trayvon doesn't know if this latino looking guy is going to rob him or not, so makes a break for it.

Zimmerman follows but cannot catch the quick kid, so walks back to his truck to meet the police and Trayvon sees his opportunity to attackk before he is attacked, as he thought was going on.

Trayvon gets the best of Zimmerman and "Z" fears for his life and draws.

Unfortunately Trayvon is killed and now the "race pimps" use a tragic event to further their agenda, which also corresponds with the media's goals.

If Zimmerman's car had of been "marked", would it have made a difference? Not sure, but it would have given Trayvon the chance to explain himself and Zimmerman also.

Big Muddy rancher said:
He was also shot in the front not the back.

the story I read was the gun did not chamber another shell, meaning that someone might have had their hand on the slide action, to prevent it from doing so.

Too many unknown details to know what happened after "contact" was made.

We have to trust the police that were first on scene and the investigators that questioned witnesses and Zimmerman afterwards.

If there is any racial aspect to this, it was by the police afterwards, in not charging Zimmerman, IMO I don't think Zimmerman was racially profiling

Latest posts