• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Blue heeler removing horse's tails and injuring goats- help?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Horse chasin tail-swinging dog???????? 45 slug.......
FH, I'm sorry to hear about your dixie. I had a male and female beagle, and they were always in trouble. Both spayed and neutered. Seperate they were little angles, but together they were hell on wheels. Maybe a more of a companion type lap dog for yours....

I too have a blue healer he is now a 1 1/2 y/o. I had a problem with him chasing my horses, and our goat. I beat the snot out of him( i know its mean), but he hasn't messed with the goats since. As for the horses healers are ment to heal its their natural instinct, and don't get another dog it'll just make it worse you'll have 2 doing it. To stop my healer from chasing the horses I of course yelled at him, but I started going on jogs and walks with him in the woods, and started letting the neighbor kids play with him and bought all kinds of tug and squeaker toys. Hope it helps. Geri

Well it's a terrible trait to have and one you can't tolerate-yu could bear spray him when he does it that will take his mind off the horses heels forever. Ty tried his spray out inthe bush last night-the wind blew some his way -pretty nasty stuff but easier on the dog than a rifle bullet.

I learned most of my dog handling from Jim Roberson at Higgins Tx so what I say, he said. A dog should be kenneled when not being trained/played with/used. Don't let your dog run loose and expect to have much use of him. I think heelers for sure need to be kenneled and handled daily. I'd have to have need for a heeler or I wouldn't want one as they require alot of work. I use Border Collies (I don't fight much brush), but they need work also.

Dogs are like horses, if mishandled they'll prove little value, if well handled the're irreplacable.

Latest posts