• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Body count

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Disagreeable

Reaction score
When the US invaded Iraq, Tommy Franks said "we don't do body count" for good reason. Experience from Vietnam showed (a) units lied about the numbers; (b) it didn't mean anything. If you're fighting an unconventional force, with no idea of how many there are, then killing 100 doesn't mean anything. But with the pressure of falling public support, our military is starting to un-learn the lessons from Vietnam. It's a sad thing that Bush has put them in this position.

Link below; my empahsis.

"THE US military has revived the discredited "bodycount" method of measuring success in Iraq to counter bad publicity over mounting American casualties, now approaching 2000 dead."

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/49465.html

What is it about round numbers that is so significant? How is the loss of 1,993 soldiers any less significant or tragic than 2,000? I seriously don't think this indicates the situation has changed.

There is something disturbing about the media coverage of the 2000th death. Superficially, it seems they're lamenting the deaths, but it's hard not to detect a certain amount of schadenfreude, as if the number held some sort of special significance they believe will further alienate support for Bush.

I have a friend who lost a son in Iraq and he supports Bush. He is incensed that the media is making a deal over 2000, he says it makes his son seem inconsequential(sp) No.1 or no. 2000 they are all contributors to the effort.

I don't think the number is mention to discredit anyone by any mean....but if you will remember we, the citizens of the US, were told by Cheney that the "people of Iraq would be tossing flowers in welcome" at us as we entered Iraq.

Little did we know that we'd be tossing flowers......on over 2000+ graves of our own.

kolanuraven said:
I don't think the number is mention to discredit anyone by any mean....but if you will remember we, the citizens of the US, were told by Cheney that the "people of Iraq would be tossing flowers in welcome" at us as we entered Iraq.

Little did we know that we'd be tossing flowers......on over 2000+ graves of our own.

How clever, kolanuraven. Do I detect a bit of schadenfreude in your tone as well?

Latest posts