• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Boehner blows up debt ceiling talks

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
House Speaker John Boehner, under pressure from the right and facing resistance from his own deputies, backed away Saturday from a bold $4 trillion deficit-reduction package that he once hoped would resolve the August debt ceiling crisis and give a shot in the arm to a lagging economy.

Tax policy disputes were at the center of the collapse, including differences with the White House over President Barack Obama's demand that future tax reforms must maintain or increase the progressivity of the tax code. But for days Boehner has been under relentless pressure from conservatives to step away from the deal, which Saturday's Wall Street Journal editorial writers dubbed "Boehner's Obama Gamble."

The White House signaled it will continue to make its case for the plan in a meeting Sunday evening with congressional leaders, including Boehner. But without the speaker's support, it has no chance of being implemented, and the focus is expected to turn toward a smaller package more in the range of $2.4 trillion.

Boehner spoke with the president prior to making his announcement Saturday evening and continues to demand that the deficit reduction match dollar-for-dollar whatever debt ceiling is agreed to prior to the August 2 deadline set by Treasury.

(from Vision To America.org)

All the repubs need to do is say No and let the Dems deal with it. They claim to have all the answers so tell them "let's see how well you can do without a blank check."
We will not default unless the Dems decide to. The law says they may not. The debt must be serviced first before any other spending.
The Repubs should refuse to attend any meeting until Obama comes back with a signed agreement for a balanced budget amendment combined with the GDP clause, cuts representing trillions, and cuts in taxes.

cutterone said:
All the repubs need to do is say No and let the Dems deal with it. They claim to have all the answers so tell them "let's see how well you can do without a blank check."
We will not default unless the Dems decide to. The law says they may not. The debt must be serviced first before any other spending.
The Repubs should refuse to attend any meeting until Obama comes back with a signed agreement for a balanced budget amendment combined with the GDP clause, cuts representing trillions, and cuts in taxes.

cutterone,

how did you feel when bush gave away $800 billion to wall street for their bailout?

hopalong said:
cutterone, did you get any wind up your way???

Hop, you're not intelligent enough to understand that you need to eat your peas and worry about the NFL getting back to work.

"If we think it's hard now, imagine how these guys are going to be thinking six months from now in the middle of election season where they're all up. It's not going to get easier. It's going to get harder. So we might as well do it now -- pull off the Band-Aid; eat our peas. Now is the time to do it," Obama told reporters during an update on the debt negotiations.

"We are not out here trying to use this as a means of doing all these really tough political things. I would rather be talking about stuff that everybody welcomes like new programs or the NFL season getting resolved.

Well, let me distinguish between professional politicians and the public at large. The public is not paying close attention to the ins and outs of how a Treasury option goes. They shouldn't. They're worrying about their family; they're worrying about their jobs; they're worrying about their neighborhood. They've got a lot of other things on their plate. We're paid to worry about it.

Obama's Problem is he is in denial because the Public is paying attention and they do not like what they see, hence the TEA PARTY RALLIES. The more they pay attention the more they worry and the lower Obama goes in the polls.

Well, let me distinguish between professional politicians and the public at large.

the real difference is that the "public at large" would be able to find plenty to cut...

in fact instead of agonizing over SS and medicare.. we would be able to see the real bloat and cut it.. and I really doubt after we got done there would be any real pain or sacrifice outside DC... :shock:

to start the Professionals could just google Wasteful government programs..

About 3,080,000 results (0.16 seconds)

Congressional budget-cutters spared the $440,000 spent annually to have attendants push buttons on the fully automated Capitol Hill elevators used by Representatives and Senators.

sure it is only a fraction of a penny when compared to the size budget.

but when all the small stupid ... ok utterly stupid programs are scrapped.. then a person could start working on the ones in the not really a good use of money category..
For example, the Social Security Administration's $25 billion a year Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program. Almost 250,000 children qualify for SSI checks because they can't participate in "age appropriate activities." Worse, thousands of prisoners get SSI checks relating to their alleged disabilities—costing taxpayers about $20 million a year.

An estimated 79,000 alcoholics and drug addicts are believed to spend SSI checks—some $360 million annually—on their habits.

ok.. I agree,.. this one is in still in the utterly stupid column..

the point is.. these programs need to be stopped........ and the professional politicians can't seem to even see them... let alone vote to cut them..

1.6 million farm subsidy checks for $1.3 billion, mailed to urban zip codes during the past decade. New York City "farmers" pocketed $7 million during the past decade, Washington, D.C., "farmers" $10 million, Los Angeles "farmers" $10.7 million, Minneapolis "farmers" $48 million, Miami "farmers" $54.5 million, and Phoenix "farmers" $71.5 million. Among those on the take, to the tune of $1.3 million: 47 "farmers" in Beverly Hills, California—one of America's wealthiest cities.

and in DC all they can talk about is upping the retirement age.. :?

they just don't get it...

I thought about all this a lot over the weekend. I have and I'll bet that most of us on here have been doing the same thing for weeks now on how to make the math work for us in our operations. For most of us our banks will most likely not raise our personal debt ceiling and we can't just print more money for our bank account so we deal with it. We do without, we cull and cut, and we look for the best bang for our bucks so for the life of me I can't understand why it is so difficult for them. When I saw the pictures of them setting around that table for discussion the first thought was if there were people setting around that table with jeans and work shirts on instead of bobble heads with ties something might get accomplished.
I was also thinking about subsities. I wonder how many individuals have been getting food stamps, subsidised housing, farm subsidies, free lunches, healthcare,and the like not for just months or a year or two but for maybe 10 years. We have unemployment checks for over two years now and that's disgracefull but just how long will we allow people to be on the dole? When is it long enough for them to step up to the plate and "share the sacrifice"? When is it time for those in the lower 40% that don't pay any taxes to "share the sacrifice"?

cutterone said:
I thought about all this a lot over the weekend. I have and I'll bet that most of us on here have been doing the same thing for weeks now on how to make the math work for us in our operations. For most of us our banks will most likely not raise our personal debt ceiling and we can't just print more money for our bank account so we deal with it. We do without, we cull and cut, and we look for the best bang for our bucks so for the life of me I can't understand why it is so difficult for them. When I saw the pictures of them setting around that table for discussion the first thought was if there were people setting around that table with jeans and work shirts on instead of bobble heads with ties something might get accomplished.
I was also thinking about subsities. I wonder how many individuals have been getting food stamps, subsidised housing, farm subsidies, free lunches, healthcare,and the like not for just months or a year or two but for maybe 10 years. We have unemployment checks for over two years now and that's disgracefull but just how long will we allow people to be on the dole? When is it long enough for them to step up to the plate and "share the sacrifice"? When is it time for those in the lower 40% that don't pay any taxes to "share the sacrifice"?

Very good points. You need to run for public office.

Thanks but I don't know how to be politicaly correct :lol:

There was a time when we sent people to DC who were farmers, businessmen, and inventors. Now we send the "prettiest" bobble heads who can only talk the talk.

cutterone said:

Cutterone- like they follow our Constitution now????????
Do you really want these jokers messing around in our Constitution?
Plus I do believe debt to be acceptable but only in times of war. That is a legal War as defined by our Constitution and declared by Congress not by one Tyrant! If the ones pushing for a balanced budget ammendment would make just as much noise demanding that our currant Constitution be followed there would be no spending problem. The House holds the purse strings, quit funding unconstitutional spending = problem solved!
We don't need an ammendment for that, just guts enough to demand that our current Constitution be followed by those whom have taken an oath to do so. These elected people have placed their hands upon a Bible and sworn an oath to God to support, protect, and defend our Constitution. Every time they make and unconstutional law or fund an unconstitutional agency they are mocking God, mocking our Constitution, and mocking US.

How much longer are we going to sit idly by and take this?

Latest posts