• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bottle calves

Help Support Ranchers.net:

webfoot

Reaction score
With this old cow one and done deal I have going on this year a person ends up with a few bottle calves. I had two this year. One from a cow that died and one from a cow who didn't have milk. Of course you keep them in case you need a graft calf. Well the cows went to the hills on Tuesday. No more need for graft calves. So I posted an ad on Craigslist. I was planning on taking them to the sale next Wednesday but I figured what the heck. Put a big price on them, Craigslist is free. People came and bought them today. Sold them for $350 apiece cash. I am shaking my head. The wife is amazed. Got to love it when a plan comes together.

Our daughter who is a rancher at heart, only doesn't have a ranch......got 2 bottle calves last spring. True to form, one died. It had been kicked in the head by the momma cow and never did amount to much. So later, she got another one. These were from a lady who raises Herefords and she raises some really good Herefords. Our daughter put a lot of time, effort and money (milk replacer, grain and mineral) into these 2 heifers, thinking she would have 2 heifers to breed. They really are good looking heifers. So now she found out the oldest one, and the biggest one, is a twin to a bull........so now what?

I doubt she can eat her, she might wind up being a yard ornament for years.

A couple of the neighbors offered me calves to sell. They told me to give them $250 after the calf sells and that I should keep the extra $100. The other side of that coin the wife is happy that she has no calves to feed every morning and evening. In the mean time I have two kill cows and a failed graft calf left here in the pens. They go to the sale on Wedneday. I am going to have to start irrigating pretty soon.

Latest posts