• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bow hunting bug already

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cert

Reaction score
I've got the bug really early this year. I like to shoot year round but can't find anyone that will shoot 3-D with me right now so I was playing with the bows.

I was fidling with my old crossbow. It is old and loud.
I think even the groundhogs jump the string on it now. The more shots that go thru it the louder it gets.
Everything appears to be in good working order. The strings, limbs...all good and maintained well for the past several years, since I've had the bow.

Is there a quick and easy way to dampen the noise on a crossbow or is it a lost cause and I should quit playing with old equipment?

What do you all do when the bow hunting bug gets you and all the chores are done and season doesn't open for 3 more months? I sound like a little kid with deer fever.
:roll:

I son't know much about crossbows Cert but I do know somethinga bout loud bows as I ahve messed with ONeidas from time to time and actually enjoy the heck out of them... If the crossbow is a recurve type some of these tips might help you.. Otherwise, sorry.... If the string is several years old it has probably stretched. This will lower the brace height and cuse a lot more string vibration and contact with the limb tips.. Often the easiest way to get one a bit more quiet.. If it is still string vibration that is making the noise put some cat whiskers on the string, will help take out some noise (Will cost you about 5-7 fps I think) but this depends on if the noise is string caused or if it is the creaking that NR was talking about...

Last but not least put some simms on the limbs if you don't have them.. Might absorb some of the vibration for you in the limbs.. A few other things are possible.. You can even put some thick moleskin at the point the string touches the recurve part of the limb if it is a recurve crossbow.. If it is a compound one I would just try the simms and whiskers for now.

Rubber limbsaver noise dampeners, they have an adhiesive back just stick a couple on and it will tame er down a bit.

Latest posts