• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Branding photos from Saturday

Help Support Ranchers.net:

theHiredMansWife

Reaction score
Low sixties, sunny and a slight breeze. Perfect day to brand.

Ground crew all set:
GroundCrewBranding.jpg

Ropers picking out a good one:
CalfPenBranding.jpg

Friend of ours waiting to drop the NorthFork (some years we use these, some years we don't. Depends on how many people we have). I don't know if you can see very well, but the boots he's wearing have baby pink tops. At a local WRCA a couple years ago, he came bucking out of the chute on his saddle bronc and the announcer made the point that it takes a real man to wear pink boots. :wink:
NorthFork.jpg

They'd trade out here and there, but we had about five ropers going at a time.
Ropers.jpg

My Marlboro Man driving another nail in his coffin:
LightaSmoke.jpg

And training our oldest (it came out a bit blotchy :wink: ):
JBrand.jpg

Putting it back in the stove:
JCleanIron.jpg

The kids keeping themselves occupied (blue and pink are ours, black belongs to a good friend of ours. The boys just turned six, the girl is four)
KidsRoping.jpg

They cheated a bit and got up close enough to just drop the rope over the calf's head:
KidsRoping2.jpg

And the best job:
Supervisor.jpg

Supervisor!
:lol:

Good pics. These remind me of something, those burners for the irons. I use em but I hate them....................too noisy. Oh to be back in the days when we built a fire.

We're too dry these days to have an open fire anyway, if we can avoid it. But I guarantee the stove is a lot quieter than the generator we used for the electric irons. :shock:

Wish we had had branding.
One of the guys asked me yesterday if we were having fun yet (as he got his knee out of the way so I could vax).

Oh heck yeah!
Phooey on Christmas--branding is my favorite holiday. :D

Enjoyed your pictures HMW,obviously a good time was had by all.Loved what your son said,thats a keeper moment :nod:!

Thanks for posting these. Now that I have a camera, I'll try and take some around these parts, this year and post them. First branding that is scheduled is on the 28th. I can't hardly wait.

Aint nothin better than a branding, gee I have to agree with you for once. :wink:

what??? No pictures of the food or the beer?? :wink: :wink: :wink:
Mighty fine looking crew (especially the ones in the blue and pink :wink: )...maybe they should find some free time around the 29th of April to join us in our branding!! :D

WOOHOO!!!! I love branding in the spring! I don't have to cook :wink: :wink: 8) :D This is the last year I will do so much traveling, maybe next year I can make it to some brandings 8)

Thanks for posting the great pics, HMW. Can't wait for branding here. I agree with you, branding is my favorite holliday too.

Looks like you had your great day! I'm glad the weather was fine.
We're still busy calving, but my man has been to a branding already. His dad went to another on Sat. It was funny to watch him pouting that he got left behind.

BMR, it is a nordfork. A Norweigian fella from Idaho named Nord invented the thing. I talked with him on the phone when I bought one. An outfit out of Rapid City is making a modified version that is less bulky. I think they want 70 bucks. It's too bad old Nord doesn't see a royalty on everyone that copied his idea. Me included. :oops:

Those were nice pictures BTW HMW. Keep it up. I enjoy them.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Great pics. Up in this country they call what you call a Northfork , a Nordfork.
Maybe just a regional thing.

Like a lot of ideas along these lines, someone just copied someone else's. There wasn't a salestag attached with the brand name.
If you guys are sure it's a NordFork, it probably is.
Someone probably heard NordFork, didn't know what a "Nord" was, so called it a "north" fork, instead. I've always heard NorthFork... Or more commonly "those fork deals". :wink:
They sure do save a lot of muscle ache, though, over traditional wrestling.

maybe they should find some free time around the 29th of April to join us in our branding!!
The fellow in the purple shirt, cutting nuts, is having his on the 29th... This time of year books up fast, doesn't it.
The Supervisor was supposed to brand on Saturday. The lesser half hadn't heard that yet and had rounded up his crew before he knew. Consequently, he'd already snagged most of Larry's help. Larry branded on Sun., instead. :lol: And half our ground crew had been asked up to another branding, but they came to ours instead. (The guy in the pink boots has talked to my husband in Feb. for the past couple of years to make sure to let him know when we're branding, because he'll be there.)

Soapweed said:
theHiredMansWife said:
My son this morning said, "Mom--I wish we could rewind days" :)
Nice pictorial account of your branding day. And that is a classic line from your son. Thanks for posting the photos.
Yeah. He about made me cry.
Me, too sweetheart. Me too. :)

Wow, your branding photos look so much like ours, even in location, it's spooky. Except we wont' get to it until next month.

Maybe I'll come back and post some of ours then.

Neighbors were supposed to brand today, but since it is "snaining" (as demodriver calls this sort of weather), it has been cancelled til further notice!! Dangitall....hubby was supposed to use today as his "warm up my roping arm" day!! :lol: :lol:

Latest posts