• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Breaking one to lead

Help Support Ranchers.net:

LazyWP

Reaction score
Ran pastures yesterday, and as I was finishing up, my neighbor called and said he had one of my calves over on him. Since I was already over there, I tried driving him home with my little white horse. Needless to say, a 4 month old Limmy calf can out maneuver a Suzki Sidekick, but we gave it our best.
Went home and grabbed the only horse that was close.

horses027.jpg

He's 18 and is my ace in the hole when it comes to team penning, which got rained out. Anyway, Lisa went along too, and had the rest of the horses called up.

horses023.jpg

I wanted to trade horses, the Old Man is great for close work, but he has earned the right of retirement, and there are lots of younger horses that need ridden.

horses025-1.jpg

Wonder, he's not a bad horse, but Jessie thinks he is hers, and I am not supposed to ride HER horse.

horses024.jpg

Blue, Lisa's 7 year old that has been on vacation this summer.

horses026.jpg

Smoke tellin Frog that he better get the job done, or he's gonna have to do it.

Found the calf, and he wouldn't drive, got a rope around him deep enough that he wasn't going to choke.

horses028.jpg

And off we go.

horses035.jpg

Lisa had to make sure we got to see her 4 year old, well atleast his ears.

horses034.jpg

A mile later, and we were back with the rest of the cows, the calf was broke to lead, both horses learned a bit, and the dogs were tired.

Horses 1
ATV 0
SCOREBOARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink: :D :D :D :D
While an ATV has a time and a place, a horse just makes for a great day. Thanks for packing your camera. I enjoyed watching ya'll work. :D

That's a nice colt saddle on the flea bitten grey-do you ever get behind them and just drive them at the end of your rope? I just went and did horse inventory were down to 41 lol. Lots will be going to new homes by fall though-don't tell Denny but not turning any studs out this summer.

The saddle is one of those HIGH dollar Corriente. Most of the time I do just drive the critters, and use the rope to kinda control the runaway, but I was riding a 5 year old that doesn't have a whole lot of cow in him....yet. The more critters I rope the better the horses get, 'cause it usually takes wearing the critter out to the point where they stand, before I get a rope on them. :oops: But makes for a good tracking horse, eventually.

Too bad I was in Illnois, looks like it would have been fun. I have some pictures from last fall on my phone of a similar situation, except it was the neighbors bull. I didn't have a camera so I tried using my phone. It took me awhile to tweak his attitude and get him to giving to pressure. Once we got on the same page he led right home.

Northern Rancher said:
That's a nice colt saddle on the flea bitten grey-do you ever get behind them and just drive them at the end of your rope? I just went and did horse inventory were down to 41 lol. Lots will be going to new homes by fall though-don't tell Denny but not turning any studs out this summer.

:wink: :clap:

Latest posts