• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bred Cow Question

Help Support Ranchers.net:

ezeranch

Reaction score
We have a cow that should be 6 months bred right now. Yesterday she showed signs of heat (bull and some of the cows trying to mount her but she wouldn't stand for the bull) Is it possible for a cow to show these signs and still be bred or is it highly likely that she lost the calf at some point? I did notice some clear discharge last month. Any info you can give me would be great. We havn't had a cow lose a calf yet so I'm not sure what signs to look for. Thanks in advace.

Oh man the last time I answered this type of question I was wrong......
So I'm going to punt on this one and say if you have doubts have her preg tested.....................
Now since I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express, I will now say that cows can show signs of heat... aka (riding) even though they are bred so now I just opened up pandora's box so folks you can sling away..........

katrina said:
Now since I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express, ..........

Katrina, I laughed my as off at that one!!!!!

I tried to convince the Mrs. if we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express it would make me a better lover.....

eze...

Yes, a cow/heifer can be bred and show signs of being in heat. We have had several, and last week lazy ace went to the neighbors and re-preg checked a cow that had been preg checked safe in calf. She was still very much bred up.

Have you preg checked? That would be the first thing I'd do if you were concerned, is have her (and the rest of the herd, if you have not preg checked) preg checked.

Another thing you could do, is watch her and if she comes in "heat" in 21 days, then, the likelihood of her being open is probably pretty high.

Good luck!!!

Christmas cheers---

TTB :santa:

PS...Katrina and Jigs...you two just crack me up :D :lol: :lol: :D it's good to have you back Katrina!!!

At 6 months pregnant, even an amateur should be able to tell if there is a calf in her. Get yourself a glove, reach in her rectum and feel around for a calf head. The uterus will be pulled off the front of the pelvis and the head should be floating in there somewhere between the back of the rumen and the front of the pelvis. If you can feel her tongue you need to back up a little.

Thanks everyone. My husband knows how to palpate and we have a couple others that still need to be checked so we will run her in the chute and check her again. I was just curious if it was possible for a cow to show the signs while being bred. Thanks again!

What??? No jokes about how unpredictable preg women are??? Guys, you're slippin!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, Preggo cows can act like they are in heat....best way to settle the issue is preg ck her. One of her girlfriends may have been in heat and she just joined in the fun.

Seems like we have a few of those every year - usually the same cows. My wife calls them hormonally challenged. Whatever the hell that means. I guess it just means they're female.

at six months the calf may have slipped over the pelvis and be too small to find but.............if she is open you should be able to palpate a barren uterus.

palpated today and she is open so she must have lost the calf along the way. Thanks for all the replies though!

Latest posts