• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

breeding red cows

Help Support Ranchers.net:

scout

Reaction score
question for the genetic geniuses out there. acquired some more grass this summer so I bought some nice red pairs primarily red angus some have some simmy and others a touch of gelvy . rolling them in to a fall deal should I breed them Hereford or angus. with the Hereford I ll get red baldies i'm concerned about chocolate calves out of the angus with a possible dilutate gene. red calves sell right with the blacks if they are over 6oo pounds . chocolate calves get discounted no matter the weight . don't know what the odds are so that's why I ask. thanks :)

I bred cows on a couple of large red operations in the past, fences were not so great and we had several "visits" and never had an off colored calf. Am certain it is possible, but I think you are worrying too much.
The red baldy heifers sold really well especially as 2 yr olds.

Don't think the problem is between black angus and red angus. The diluter gene shows up with simmental crosses. My bigger question is why not breed them back to red angus? You won't get any significant heterosis breeding black angus to red angus and the straight red calves sell great.

rancherfred said:
Don't think the problem is between black angus and red angus. The diluter gene shows up with simmental crosses. My bigger question is why not breed them back to red angus? You won't get any significant heterosis breeding black angus to red angus and the straight red calves sell great.
don't have a red angus bull. 8)

Latest posts