• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

BSE a North American problem

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
I plucked this off Agriville , can yoy guess who posted this admission?

Even before North America found BSE some of the feedlots were requiring affidavits showing all this info...I was told by the buyers that they were destined for the Japanese market, which was already requiring that info then...They were ID tagged by the feedlot immediately upon arrival using their own system, tracked thru feeding and slaughter, and that copies of all affidavits, brand inspections and info went with the beef in the box...Lot of these cattle were going to feedlots in Colorado, that fed for one packer (I can't remember the name, altho it was not Tyson or Cargil)...This year almost every sort of calves I worked were requiring it....

I didn't think I would ever hear Oldtimer admit it was a North American problem. Also since you guys go to the work of affidait and the feedlots tags why doesn't the producers find a tag that would work for the feedlots. You probably would get a premium for the. Gee something like Canada's system.

Big Muddy rancher said:

Even before North America found BSE some of the feedlots were requiring affidavits showing all this info...I was told by the buyers that they were destined for the Japanese market, which was already requiring that info then...They were ID tagged by the feedlot immediately upon arrival using their own system, tracked thru feeding and slaughter, and that copies of all affidavits, brand inspections and info went with the beef in the box...Lot of these cattle were going to feedlots in Colorado, that fed for one packer (I can't remember the name, altho it was not Tyson or Cargil)...This year almost every sort of calves I worked were requiring it....

I didn't think I would ever hear Oldtimer admit it was a North American problem. Also since you guys go to the work of affidait and the feedlots tags why doesn't the producers find a tag that would work for the feedlots. You probably would get a premium for the. Gee something like Canada's system.

Sorry Big Muddy- I still don't buy the North American herd- remember how many years you Canucks told us that US cattle were "diseased"? Back then you wanted it a US herd and a Canadian herd...Til your teat got in the wringer and you wanted the US to bail you out again...If I'd known the counselor from Big Muddy was going to scrutinize it like the gopher trapper does I probably should have worded it "before BSE was found anywhere in North America"....

Many of the feedlots have their own computerized systems- which add everything from "pulls" to medicines to amounts of feed--Some if which don't even use tags- they're more advanced and using laser eyeprints.....Should we penalize them for having an advanced system? Is the US govt. now going to mandate duplicate systems for a system that is already working? If they already have the system set up and can save the producer the $5 per animal cost of duplication, why not?.....

Thats why I think they need to look a little harder at this ID idea and look at whats working and what isn't before they go leaping.....

I see where it looks like some of these Colorado lots (Swift) are ready to start shipping in the next few days- so it must be working...

Oldtimer said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

Sorry Big Muddy- I still don't buy the North American herd- remember how many years you Canucks told us that US cattle were "diseased"? Back then you wanted it a US herd and a Canadian herd...Til your teat got in the wringer and you wanted the US to bail you out again...If I'd known the counselor from Big Muddy was going to scrutinize it like the gopher trapper does I probably should have worded it "before BSE was found anywhere in North America"....

Many of the feedlots have their own computerized systems- which add everything from "pulls" to medicines to amounts of feed--Some if which don't even use tags- they're more advanced and using laser eyeprints.....Should we penalize them for having an advanced system? Is the US govt. now going to mandate duplicate systems for a system that is already working? If they already have the system set up and can save the producer the $5 per animal cost of duplication, why not?.....
Thats why I think they need to look a little harder at this ID idea and look at whats working and what isn't before they go leaping.....

I see where it looks like some of these Colorado lots (Swift) are ready to start shipping in the next few days- so it must be working...
The US has a nationwide MID system that is working?

Not even close.

Latest posts