• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

BSE case: six-year-old cross-bred born and raised in Alberta

Help Support Ranchers.net:

rkaiser

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2005
Messages
1,958
Reaction score
0
Location
Calgary Alberta
The discovery comes at bad time. In July, the U.S. reopened its border to young Canadian cattle after being closed for more than two years. A Japanese regulatory body also recently advised that its government begin accepting Canadian beef.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

When would a GOOD time be.
 

Sandhusker

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
18,486
Reaction score
0
Location
Nebraska
"CFIA officials say the animal was a six-year-old cross-bred cow born and raised in Alberta."

And the feed ban kicked in ......?
 

Bill

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
2,066
Reaction score
0
Location
GWN
Sandhusker said:
"CFIA officials say the animal was a six-year-old cross-bred cow born and raised in Alberta."

And the feed ban kicked in ......?
The same it supposedly did in the US. Aren't y'all still feeding chicken crap though so I guess in essence the feed ban isn't in place in the US yet?
 

Sandhusker

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
18,486
Reaction score
0
Location
Nebraska
Bill said:
Sandhusker said:
"CFIA officials say the animal was a six-year-old cross-bred cow born and raised in Alberta."

And the feed ban kicked in ......?
The same it supposedly did in the US. Aren't y'all still feeding chicken crap though so I guess in essence the feed ban isn't in place in the US yet?

Be careful, Bill, you're in danger of agreeing with R-CALF....
 

Big Muddy rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
22,158
Reaction score
376
Location
Big Muddy valley
reader (the Second) said:
Sandhusker said:
Bill said:
The same it supposedly did in the US. Aren't y'all still feeding chicken crap though so I guess in essence the feed ban isn't in place in the US yet?

Be careful, Bill, you're in danger of agreeing with R-CALF....

That Austin Power smile looks even more diabolical today :lol: :lol: :lol:


He just hooked up a 5HP motor to that Swedish enlarger. :shock: :liar:
 

greg

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 27, 2005
Messages
1,064
Reaction score
0
Location
Alberta Canada
Reader where did you hear this info??
I'M in Alberta none of the stations I'm listening to or either of my internet sites have givin this info..not saying your wrong just wonderin where you heard IT????
 

rkaiser

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2005
Messages
1,958
Reaction score
0
Location
Calgary Alberta
Ahaaaa -

A six year lod cow, after the feed ban. Now the Feds will have an out for the 20 billion dollar law suit that good old Pallett thought he had in the bag.

Or maybe I just dream things up.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
The really bad thing is that the news is now reporting this as a 6 year old dairy cow from Alberta--Meaning it was born POST feed ban- meaning this is the 2nd POST feed ban born to come from Alberta- a cluster area thats originated 6 positives now....

And yet R-CALF was chastised when they reported that their investigations had found some huge holes in the Canada feed ban-especially in feed from some Alberta feed suppliers...
 

Tam

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
12,759
Reaction score
0
Location
Sask
rkaiser said:
Whatever Oltimer. You are so lost in space on this issue that the Starship Enterprise could never save you.

Well Randy we don't agree on much but you finally found something I can agree with you on Thanks for the laugh. :wink: :nod: :lol2: :lol2:
 

Bill

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
2,066
Reaction score
0
Location
GWN
Oldtimer said:
The really bad thing is that the news is now reporting this as a 6 year old dairy cow from Alberta--Meaning it was born POST feed ban- meaning this is the 2nd POST feed ban born to come from Alberta- a cluster area thats originated 6 positives now....

And yet R-CALF was chastised when they reported that their investigations had found some huge holes in the Canada feed ban-especially in feed from some Alberta feed suppliers...
R2's article says it is Canada's 4TH homegrown case
Canada confirmed its fourth home-grown case of the brain-wasting disease just as the financial strain on its cattle industry from previous mad-cow-related trade bans had started to ease.
and you say it is the sixth originating in your "CLUSTER" area. Who do we believe Oldtimer?
 

Mike

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
28,480
Reaction score
0
Location
Montgomery, Al
CFIA TRACES BSE LINKS FROM JAPAN


October 26, 2001

Western Producer

Ian Bell & Barbara Duckworth http://www.producer.com/articles/20011025/news/20011025news01.html

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency has, according to this story, quarantined 11 Alberta cattle while it
investigates whether they pose a health risk toC anada's herds. The quarantined cattle are purebred Wagyu
imported from Japan. They arrived in Canada in 1997 or 1998 via the United States. Claude Lavigne, an
agency associate executive director, was quoted as saying, "There is no breed of cattle that is immune to
this disease. We want to take all precautions possible to make sure we don't import this disease into
Canada." Wagyus are a specialty beef breed known to produce highly marbled meat. Because they are
purebreds, traceback has been relatively easy. Canada has contacted the Japanese to learn whether these
animals were ever fed meat and bone meal. Protein meal derived from infected carcasses is believed to
cause BSE, a brain wasting disease.F ourteen Wagyu cattle were imported by an unidentified Alberta owner
in the' 90s.Three were slaughtered sometime before the agency's investigation. Offspring of the imported
cattle are not viewed as a threat in terms of becoming infected with BSE and spreading it to other cattle.
Lavigne uring a review of its import records, the agency learned that other cattle from Japan may also have
been imported into Canada, adding, "We have information that leads us to believe there may have been
others in Ontario and other provinces." However, the story says, details remained sketchy as of Oct. 22 and
Lavigne could not estimate how many other Japanese cattle may be in Canada. He believes thea nimals are
between four and five years of age.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Bill said:
Oldtimer said:
The really bad thing is that the news is now reporting this as a 6 year old dairy cow from Alberta--Meaning it was born POST feed ban- meaning this is the 2nd POST feed ban born to come from Alberta- a cluster area thats originated 6 positives now....

And yet R-CALF was chastised when they reported that their investigations had found some huge holes in the Canada feed ban-especially in feed from some Alberta feed suppliers...
R2's article says it is Canada's 4TH homegrown case
Canada confirmed its fourth home-grown case of the brain-wasting disease just as the financial strain on its cattle industry from previous mad-cow-related trade bans had started to ease.
and you say it is the sixth originating in your "CLUSTER" area. Who do we believe Oldtimer?

6th "involving" Canada tho if you count the 93 cow and the one found in Washington which originated from Alberta-- I guess only 5 originated from the cluster area - 2 POST feed ban- but whats the difference- :???: -You got a "cluster area" which needs to be isolated, quarantined, tested and cleaned up...
 

Bill

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
2,066
Reaction score
0
Location
GWN
Oldtimer said:
Bill said:
Oldtimer said:
The really bad thing is that the news is now reporting this as a 6 year old dairy cow from Alberta--Meaning it was born POST feed ban- meaning this is the 2nd POST feed ban born to come from Alberta- a cluster area thats originated 6 positives now....

And yet R-CALF was chastised when they reported that their investigations had found some huge holes in the Canada feed ban-especially in feed from some Alberta feed suppliers...
R2's article says it is Canada's 4TH homegrown case
Canada confirmed its fourth home-grown case of the brain-wasting disease just as the financial strain on its cattle industry from previous mad-cow-related trade bans had started to ease.
and you say it is the sixth originating in your "CLUSTER" area. Who do we believe Oldtimer?

6th "involving" Canada tho if you count the 93 cow and the one found in Washington which originated from Alberta-- I guess only 5 originated from the cluster area - 2 POST feed ban- but whats the difference- :???: -You got a "cluster area" which needs to be isolated, quarantined, tested and cleaned up...
You guess???? For an ex-lawman you sure aren't very big on facts. Just type out more garbage hoping somone will believe you and repeat it. :roll:
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
reader (the Second) said:
OT - you should remember that 6 cases of CJD in Idaho in one year are not deemed a "cluster" by the CDC. A cluster is a statistic anomaly based on having adequate surveillance and reporting. It's all epidemiologist and statistician "junk," but basically with such low numbers based on small numbers surveilled, it's easy to dismiss what you see as a cluster as normal.

There would have to be a number of animals found above the norm over several years I believe.


Well maybe the scientists don't consider this enough for a cluster- but in a nation as large as Canada-with the small percentage number tested as you said it sure appears like a cluster-- definitely a pattern that I don't think CFIA or USDA has concentrated enough on....Especially with 2 POST feed ban positives....

And this area was one of the areas that R-CALF questioned the feedban compliance in several years ago......
 

Silver

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 23, 2005
Messages
5,152
Reaction score
27
Location
BC
Oldtimer said:
reader (the Second) said:
OT - you should remember that 6 cases of CJD in Idaho in one year are not deemed a "cluster" by the CDC. A cluster is a statistic anomaly based on having adequate surveillance and reporting. It's all epidemiologist and statistician "junk," but basically with such low numbers based on small numbers surveilled, it's easy to dismiss what you see as a cluster as normal.

There would have to be a number of animals found above the norm over several years I believe.


Well maybe the scientists don't consider this enough for a cluster- but in a nation as large as Canada-with the small percentage number tested as you said it sure appears like a cluster-- definitely a pattern that I don't think CFIA or USDA has concentrated enough on....Especially with 2 POST feed ban positives....

And this area was one of the areas that R-CALF questioned the feedban compliance in several years ago......

A country as large as Canada.... with most of it's cattle in Alberta. Hmmmm... a cattle cluster? ha ha.... Now if your cluster showed up in New Brunswick, your brilliant (by village idiot standards) theory might have some teeth.

ps.... how do you like MY excessive use of the "."? :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

Sandhusker

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
18,486
Reaction score
0
Location
Nebraska
Regardless of the geographical area or the occurances being tracked, if you have 5 or 6 areas to choose from and you can predict which area the next occurance will be located with more than a 50% degree of accuracy just by looking at the map, you've either got a crystal ball or a cluster.

If you can trounce the odds of probabibility, you've got something that needs a closer look.
 

Silver

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 23, 2005
Messages
5,152
Reaction score
27
Location
BC
I guess you would have to define 'cluster'. What some of you still seem to be missing is that Alberta has roughly 70% of Canada's cattle. Odds are very good that most bse cases will be found there.
Another thing you need to consider befor going on this 'cluster' rant is the actual size of Alberta. Is it still a cluster if the cases are scattered of 1000 miles? :roll:
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Silver said:
I guess you would have to define 'cluster'. What some of you still seem to be missing is that Alberta has roughly 70% of Canada's cattle. Odds are very good that most bse cases will be found there.
Another thing you need to consider befor going on this 'cluster' rant is the actual size of Alberta. Is it still a cluster if the cases are scattered of 1000 miles? :roll:

Silver- I think most of the cases were found originating out of a pretty definitive area within Alberta too.....
 

Bill

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
2,066
Reaction score
0
Location
GWN
Oldtimer said:
Silver said:
I guess you would have to define 'cluster'. What some of you still seem to be missing is that Alberta has roughly 70% of Canada's cattle. Odds are very good that most bse cases will be found there.
Another thing you need to consider befor going on this 'cluster' rant is the actual size of Alberta. Is it still a cluster if the cases are scattered of 1000 miles? :roll:

Silver- I think most of the cases were found originating out of a pretty definitive area within Alberta too.....
C'mon Oldtimer you have been told before. The May 20th 2003 case didn't even originate in Alberta.
 

Latest posts

Top