• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

BSE case: six-year-old cross-bred born and raised in Alberta

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Kathy said:
I get you better now.

Either way there is a cost. One is a health cost, the other is a monetary cost.

In both situations the consumer will pay. High carbo-based energy prices will push the further development of atomic energy and alternative energies.

I just heard today, from a Saskatchewan resident, that Sask. is planning to build a nuclear power station. I don't know the location; but I imagine it will be northern Saskatchewan, close to the uranium mines.

Kathy,there is lots of talk about a new power plant. Who knows where they will put it. Of the uranium that's mined the waste is hauledto Ontario. We are mining we might as well get the benifit of selling the electricity as well.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Kathy said:
I get you better now.

In both situations the consumer will pay. High carbo-based energy prices will push the further development of atomic energy and alternative energies.

I just heard today, from a Saskatchewan resident, that Sask. is planning to build a nuclear power station. I don't know the location; but I imagine it will be northern Saskatchewan, close to the uranium mines.

Kathy,there is lots of talk about a new power plant. Who knows where they will put it. Of the uranium that's mined the waste is hauledto Ontario. We are mining we might as well get the benifit of selling the electricity as well.

If a thermo-nuclear plant is built, one of the major considerations will be topography and access to large amounts of water for construction of the cooling pond and supply of relatively clean boiler water. Next would be distance to markets, for the shortest possible transmission lines.Proximity to the nuclear fuel source would be way down on the list of priorities.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Kathy said:
I get you better now.

Any nuclear power plant will have to have access to a large river or body of water. All the reactor will do is heat water into steam that will propel a turbine generator.

It doesn't take much uranium for fuel, so being close to a mine will not matter. They only refuel those things every ten years or so.

TimH said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Kathy said:
I get you better now.

If a thermo-nuclear plant is built, one of the major considerations will be topography and access to large amounts of water for construction of the cooling pond and supply of relatively clean boiler water. Next would be distance to markets, for the shortest possible transmission lines.Proximity to the nuclear fuel source would be way down on the list of priorities.

Saskatchewan Land of 100,000 lakes. Kinda makes Minnesota look small.

Back to BSE and Canada and feed bans. IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, I think the USDA needs to re-think what really causes BSE. I think more studies need to be done. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone wants to touch it with a ten foot pole. It P****s me off, how many people have died from Creutzfeldt-Jacob Disease in Canada and USA? Compare to those who have died in car wrecks. I think this is totally political, it is causing a rift between livestock producers, and it is totally sad.

crabby said:
Back to BSE and Canada and feed bans. IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, I think the USDA needs to re-think what really causes BSE. I think more studies need to be done. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone wants to touch it with a ten foot pole. It P****s me off, how many people have died from Creutzfeldt-Jacob Disease in Canada and USA? Compare to those who have died in car wrecks. I think this is totally political, it is causing a rift between livestock producers, and it is totally sad.

Crabby, It is as simple and as complicated as this......

Either- Bse is transmitted through feed and individuals on multiple continents have violated the feed bans.(the difficulty "scientists" have in feeding BSE notwithstanding)

Or- BSE can and does occur spontaneously.(in which case any "firewalls" are useless)

Or- BSE is caused by some unknown environmental or chemical factor which has yet to be proven, much like the feed transmission THEORY.

In the mean time, BSE serves as a convenient trade barrier for people who are inclined to use it as such, or for people who seek to profit from selling BSE test kits and hold patents on lab procedures,etc.
Do some research and decide for yourself. :)

TimH said:
crabby said:

Either- Bse is transmitted through feed and individuals on multiple continents have violated the feed bans.(the difficulty "scientists" have in feeding BSE notwithstanding)

Or- BSE can and does occur spontaneously.(in which case any "firewalls" are useless)

Or- BSE is caused by some unknown environmental or chemical factor which has yet to be proven, much like the feed transmission THEORY.

In the mean time, BSE serves as a convenient trade barrier for people who are inclined to use it as such, or for people who seek to profit from selling BSE test kits and hold patents on lab procedures,etc.

TimH - we think alike. We need to get off the THEORY and get some PROOF. (Why I mentioned we need to rethink cause of BSE) I, personally don't like R-CALF, don't believe in their "soapbox". Thanks for your reply :)

crabby said:
TimH said:
crabby said:

TimH - we think alike. We need to get off the THEORY and get some PROOF. (Why I mentioned we need to rethink cause of BSE) I, personally don't like R-CALF, don't believe in their "soapbox". Thanks for your reply :)

Try not to let personal feelings you may have for or against ANY particular organization or country or anything else play a part in your research into BSE. Look for the FACTS. Only then will it become apparent just who is full of.........--IT!! :)

Just a thought, about the nuclear power plant.

I wonder how much power the Tar Sands uses to extract the oil from the sand. As I understand it, they burn as much fuel as they need, at no cost to themselves, and no income goes to the Alberta government from this consumption. IE: no royalties, etc.

Suncor, et al. have free access to as much fuel as needed to produce the oil they sell. They only pay royalties on the barrels they sell.

They must burn alot of fuel, and create alot of pollution. So if the major users of electricity were Fort McMurray and say Edmonton, the plant might be built in norther Saskatchewan??

I just wonder if they will do a trade-off. Less carbon based emissions in favor of a nuclear power? just a thought.

I heard a couple things of interest on Sunday.

First, a source in the USA told me that they had heard that not 1, but 3 nuclear plants will be built in Saskatchewan. They are not to be built for the ordinary residential-electricity market. They said that the nuclear plants would be built to suppy electricity to mining operations. That's is all I've got for now, on that issue.

Secondly, I was listening to a radio show, when a man phoned in and said that, when he went for an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), the consent form/waiver document had alot of fine print. He actually read it.

He stated that on the consent form for the MRI (done in USA somewhere), the document stated that "a MRI could potentially cause CJD"

perhaps someone out there that has had one, or works with the machine, can comment on whether they have seen this disclaimer before!

kathy writes;

I heard a couple things of interest on Sunday.

First, a source in the USA told me that they had heard that not 1, but 3 nuclear plants will be built in Saskatchewan. They are not to be built for the ordinary residential-electricity market. They said that the nuclear plants would be built to suppy electricity to mining operations. That's is all I've got for now, on that issue.

maybe should go to work for one of these nuclear power plants kathy :)
and what did that have to do with this thread? are you trying to change the topic again??? why is this???

kathy writes;

Secondly, I was listening to a radio show, when a man phoned in and said that, when he went for an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), the consent form/waiver document had alot of fine print. He actually read it.

and i am sure you believed this man? you have got to be kidding me?
i have had at least a dozen MRIs and i have never seen any such nonsense. i do not believe you? show us this form and nonsense you speak of???

He stated that on the consent form for the MRI (done in USA somewhere), the document stated that "a MRI could potentially cause CJD"

AGAIN kathy, you show you ignorance. what is your game here ???

tss

When I get more information, I'll let the Board know.

What's wrong you scared this might be true?

I always give the benefit of doubt to comments, nothing is proven or disproven until I have looked at alot of the facts. Even then, things change ie: "best available science" and all that.

PS - and things are changing!!!

Latest posts