• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bull Sale Season

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Howdy1 said:
The past few years I have been keeping a database on my cows. I have noticed that some cows will calve at the very end and be in the very beginning the next. I will not cull a cow that calves late unless it has been year after year....you get the point. We only breed for a 60 day season so some late calvers weed themselves out by becoming open. I agree that a late calf is okay, because a late calf is still a calf that we can sell(better than no calf at all.)

We keep all our calves and it is amazing the weight difference at weaning between early calves and late calves but come next September as yearlings the weight gap really closes.

Same here- I was just looking at the cows the other day- and noticed that several of the ones that last year calved at the tail end of the 60 day calving period are the ones starting to bag up and show the most sign of being the the first to calve...

Will hijack this thread back to Elwapo! :lol: Was past your gate yesterday & today....just didn't have time to stop! Driving Saskatoon to Lethbridge takes a big chunk out of a day.Doesn't look like you'll have to worry about flood damage this spring unless "Winter" changes big time on us.

Well I was in Poccotello anyway, so you did not miss me Cowsense. The weather suits me just fine as we can make it rain on the irrigated crop land and we have the pasture reserves for this year.

Latest posts