• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bush Administration Ignored Organic Laws OIG Fong says

Help Support Ranchers.net:

PORKER

Reaction score
WASHINGTON, DC: After an extensive audit and investigation of alleged improprieties at the USDA's National Organic Program, the agency's Office of Inspector General (OIG) made public their formal report, dated March 9, substantiating the allegations of prominent organic industry watchdog groups — that under the Bush administration, the USDA did an inadequate job of enforcing federal organic law.

Since 2002, when the USDA adopted the federal organic regulations, the agency has been plagued by underfunding and a number of scandals and complaints about its cozy relationship with agribusiness interests and lobbyists.

Although not mentioned by name, the OIG audit identifies numerous actions and decisions by the former organic program manager (Dr. Barbara Robinson) for some of the most serious enforcement deficiencies in the agency.

After the Obama administration and USDA Secretary Tom Vilsack took the reins at the USDA, one of their first actions was to appoint Dr. Kathleen Merrigan, a former Tufts University professor who is widely respected in the organic community and is an expert in farming and food regulations, as the Deputy Secretary at the agency.

Last fall, Dr. Merrigan appointed Miles McEvoy to replace Robinson as the head of the organic program. McEvoy, with a distinguished 20-year career overseeing one of the largest state organic programs in the nation at the Washington Department of Agriculture, quickly announced "the age of enforcement" was at hand for the organic program.

I don't think you're going to get too many amens about how sorry the Bush administration was. :lol: They look like rocket scientists compared to the inept bumbling tumble bugs that currently enjoy the benefits of the whitehouse.

Doesn't surprise me a bit...Anyone remember JoAnn Waterfield and her nonenforcement of PSA and GIPSA law? Her employees testifying they were told to "shuffle papers and look busy" but not do any enforcement over the corporates violating the GIPSA/PSA laws...

Deja Vu....GW only enforced the laws that stuffed the pockets of the Fatcats and Multinational Corporates and to hell with those smaller producers going the extra mile to produce and try to make a buck selling a higher quality/branded product-- just allow those Corporates to pass off anything with any label they want... :(

Oldtimer said:

Doesn't surprise me a bit...Anyone remember JoAnn Waterfield and her nonenforcement of PSA and GIPSA law? Her employees testifying they were told to "shuffle papers and look busy" but not do any enforcement over the corporates violating the GIPSA/PSA laws...

Deja Vu....GW only enforced the laws that stuffed the pockets of the Fatcats and Multinational Corporates and to hell with those smaller producers going the extra mile to produce and try to make a buck selling a higher quality/branded product-- just allow those Corporates to pass off anything with any label they want... :(

Well, AT, I'd have to say that the "man" you voted for for POTUS, and all his pals, make Tony Soprano look like an altar boy. Just whose pockets are TWAP and his cronies lining?

loomixguy said:
Oldtimer said:

Well, AT, I'd have to say that the "man" you voted for for POTUS, and all his pals, make Tony Soprano look like an altar boy. Just whose pockets are TWAP and his cronies lining?
Obama has his own set of Fatcats (Goldman-Sachs, unions) and Multi-nationals are apolitical...they bribe who ever is in power.
Will OT man up and bash his beloved Dems same as he did the Repubs????????????

Latest posts