• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bush & Farm Subsidies

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
Bush seeks farm subsidies cap
Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Storm Lake Pilot Tribune

President Bush is asking Congress to halt farm subsidies to anyone making more than $200,000 in adjusted gross income. The current income cap is $2.5 million.
Lawmakers warn that such a limit might unintentionally hurt honest, hardworking families in rural America."They're not fat-cat farmers," said Rep. Collin Peterson, chairman of the House Agriculture Committee.

The Bush analysis, based on IRS data, tells a different story.

"A fair number of these people do live in states like New Jersey, some in Washington, D.C.," Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns said in an interview. "These are probably investor-owners, people that have a large income."

"Farm subsidies are America's largest corporate welfare program," said Brian Riedl, at the conservative Heritage Foundation think tank. "They are promoted as saving small family farmers in a Norman Rockwell vision of the world. The reality is, the majority of farm subsidies go to corporate farms."

Yes, it's Bush against the House Democrat Collin Peterson on this. It didn't happen 300 against about 100.

Mike said:
Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Storm Lake Pilot Tribune

President Bush is asking Congress to halt farm subsidies to anyone making more than $200,000 in adjusted gross income. The current income cap is $2.5 million.
Lawmakers warn that such a limit might unintentionally hurt honest, hardworking families in rural America."They're not fat-cat farmers," said Rep. Collin Peterson, chairman of the House Agriculture Committee.

"A fair number of these people do live in states like New Jersey, some in Washington, D.C.," Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns said in an interview. "These are probably investor-owners, people that have a large income."

"Farm subsidies are America's largest corporate welfare program," said Brian Riedl, at the conservative Heritage Foundation think tank. "They are promoted as saving small family farmers in a Norman Rockwell vision of the world. The reality is, the majority of farm subsidies go to corporate farms."

Yes, it's Bush against the House Democrat Collin Peterson on this. It didn't happen 300 against about 100.

Mike, any idea what the total cost savings would have been?

"obama has inherited the Bush deficits"

:lol:

hypocritexposer said:
Mike said:
Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Storm Lake Pilot Tribune

Mike, any idea what the total cost savings would have been?

"obama has inherited the Bush deficits"

:lol:

Good catch.

As Farm Bill Nears Vote, Bush Presses for Fewer Subsidies

By Dan Morgan
Special to The Washington Post
Sunday, May 4, 2008

President Bush's decision in 2002 to sign a farm bill loaded with billions of dollars of new agricultural subsidies triggered considerable criticism from GOP conservatives true to the party's anti-spending philosophy.

Now, as Congress nears final agreement on a new five-year farm bill that will cost nearly $300 billion, the president has taken a harder line. Emboldened by soaring food prices and record farm profits, he has pressed Congress to cut farm subsidies sharply and has made clear that he will veto the popular bill if lawmakers do not meet his demands.

Congressional negotiators hope to take a final, compromise version of the legislation to the floors of the House and Senate this week, then send it to the White House.

In remarks Tuesday, Bush criticized the "massive, bloated farm bill that would do little to solve the problem" of high food prices. "This is the right time to reform our nation's farm policy by reducing unnecessary subsidies," he added.

The same day, Agriculture Secretary Ed Schafer and his top deputy presented lawmakers with a list of requirements that they said are not negotiable.

Top priorities for the White House include tightening limits on federal farm payments to wealthy individuals; closing a loophole that allows farmers to sell crops above the support price and still collect a subsidy; modifying a plan that would guarantee U.S. sugar growers 85 percent of the domestic sugar market through government purchases of excess imported sugar; and adjusting U.S. farm policy to bring it into compliance with international trade treaties.

Insistence on change by an administration often seen as siding with the wealthy is allowing Bush to display a populist side and to emphasize the GOP's commitment to fiscal restraint heading into this year's election.

As currently written, the measure continues or increases most of the crop subsidies contained in the widely criticized 2002 legislation. Administration officials have missed few opportunities to rail against loopholes that allow "rich individuals on Park Avenue" to collect farm subsidies. Congress, they say, has been tinkering around the edges in deference to the politically powerful farm bloc.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), who is looking to reestablish Democratic ties to rural America, supports the farm bill. Congressional Democrats and key farm state Republicans said they have stretched to meet White House demands and close loopholes. Lawmakers noted that the White House itself supports continuing a program that will channel $5.2 billion a year to farmers, even if prices stay high.

"We literally could not pass the bill on the floor if we did everything the White House wants," said Rep. Earl Pomeroy (D-N.D.).

Rep. Collin C. Peterson (D-Minn.), who chairs the House Agriculture Committee, warned last week that it would be "political suicide" for Bush to veto the bill in an election year. Tucked into the bill are a $10.4 billion increase for food stamps and nutrition programs, incentives for the production of biofuels, and more money for conservation programs, organic farmers and Chesapeake Bay cleanup.

Senior Democratic congressional aides who are not authorized to speak on the record said the White House may figure that a veto could strengthen the GOP's standing with independent voters angry about pork barrel spending and waste in government. Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), the presumed Republican nominee for president, is a longtime critic of farm programs.

In remarks Tuesday, Bush criticized the "massive, bloated farm bill that would do little to solve the problem" of high food prices.

and once again Bush didn't know what he was talking about.....

....look at how food prices have decreased since

:roll:

Yep- cutting all the farm/ranch entitlements/subsidies was one of GW's better moves- but again a failure...Just like he campaigned on health care reform-and major tort reform--then did nothing....But all the Dems fault :???: ....

So I wonder why a now "supposed to be Tea Bagger " voted for most of these subsidies including overriding GW's veto of the Farm Bill???..
Kind of what I've seen from most these folks that now call themselves Tea Party members--speak out of both sides of their mouths... Say NO to everything except the pork they bring home and brag about to get reelected...

Dennis Rehberg on Jobs

Voted YES on overriding presidential veto of Farm Bill. (Jun 2008)
Voted NO on restricting employer interference in union organizing. (Mar 2007)
Voted NO on increasing minimum wage to $7.25. (Jan 2007)
Voted YES on end offshore tax havens and promote small business. (Oct 2004)
Voted YES on $167B over 10 years for farm price supports. (Oct 2001)

Hey Old timers back tear into him shake him like a dog shaking a cat to death. Great sport here. You folks on here are the representation of what is wrong with our country.

hurleyjd said:
Hey Old timers back tear into him shake him like a dog shaking a cat to death. Great sport here. You folks on here are the representation of what is wrong with our country.

lying and misrepresenting the facts seems to also be a problem.....

.....remember when he accused me and others of sexually harassing the ladies on the forum, in attempt to silence them?

Well, I remember his lies and "great sport"

hypocritexposer said:
hurleyjd said:

.....remember when he accused me and others of sexually harassing the ladies on the forum, in attempt to silence them?

YUP and he still has not offered up any proof!!! But he is a liberal, it is their life to accuse and accuse only!!!! to LIE and lie only, to change subjects as much as possible, and offer someone else to do the dirty work (like having his son to squeeze my head like a pimple) to run when all else fails

EHHHHHH???????

So I wonder why a now "supposed to be Tea Bagger " voted for most of these subsidies including overriding GW's veto of the Farm Bill???..
Is it wrong to vote the way your constituency wants you too?

hopalong said:
hypocritexposer said:
hurleyjd said:

YUP and he still has not offered up any proof!!! But he is a liberal, it is their life to accuse and accuse only!!!! to LIE and lie only, to change subjects as much as possible, and offer someone else to do the dirty work (like having his son to squeeze my head like a pimple) to run when all else fails

EHHHHHH???????

My point was more that OT insinuates that Tea Party members are liars, which there are many who are members of Ranchers, and when you call him on it, you (me in this case), get called out for attacking OT.

Hurley, did you notice the insinuation that OT made about the members of this forum that are also Tea Party members?

Mike said:
Is it wrong to vote the way your constituency wants you too?

It is if you then come back and blame all the countries debt and entitlements on somebody else- or your opposing cult...
Can you spell HYPOCRISY :???: :wink: :lol:

Its the reason I don't think you will ever see the Repub/Tea Party plan to sell off all the government owned land to ever go thru... Too many of their big dollar supporters (like the Koch bros.) back home profiteering from the lease set ups they have now- and they don't want their cookie jar tipped over ...
And with all these politicians (D or R) lobbyiest money talks bigger than what is best for the country...

Oldtimer said:
Its the reason I don't think you will ever see the Repub/Tea Party plan to sell off all the government owned land to ever go thru...

Which Tea Party members even mentioned such a plan?

hypocritexposer said:
Oldtimer said:
Its the reason I don't think you will ever see the Repub/Tea Party plan to sell off all the government owned land to ever go thru...

Several have-

Heres one for example:

Rep. Dennis Ross (R-Fla.), a member of the House Tea Party Caucus, told Reuters. "I'm not an economist, but I have maintained a household. The federal government owns 70 percent of Utah, for example. There are federal buildings. If you need cash, let's start liquidating."

Oldtimer said:
hypocritexposer said:
Oldtimer said:

Several have-

Heres one for example:

Rep. Dennis Ross (R-Fla.), a member of the House Tea Party Caucus, told Reuters. "I'm not an economist, but I have maintained a household. The federal government owns 70 percent of Utah, for example. There are federal buildings. If you need cash, let's start liquidating."

:roll:

Which Tea Party members even mentioned such a plan, THAT INCLUDES SELLING ALL LAND?

Many conservative Republicans in the House of Representatives, especially those affiliated with the small-government Tea Party movement, say that Geithner and the White House are trying to panic them into raising the debt limit.

They also contend that the Treasury has other options to continue meeting the country's obligations, such as selling assets including gold reserves and government land.

I'm sure they wouldn't mean the hundreds of thousands of acres of govt leased lands the folks like the Koch Bros get entitlements thru the lower than private cost leases- would they :???: ...
We wouldn't want the wealthy to lose their entitlements...
You've seen how they already scream when the State attempts to get them to pay even close to half what private leases go for... :wink:

Oldtimer said:
Many conservative Republicans in the House of Representatives, especially those affiliated with the small-government Tea Party movement, say that Geithner and the White House are trying to panic them into raising the debt limit.

They also contend that the Treasury has other options to continue meeting the country's obligations, such as selling assets including gold reserves and government land.

I'm sure they wouldn't mean the hundreds of thousands of acres of govt leased lands the folks like the Koch Bros get entitlements thru the lower than private cost leases- would they :???: ...
We wouldn't want the wealthy to lose their entitlements...
You've seen how they already scream when the State attempts to get them to pay even close to half what private leases go for... :wink:

Which Tea Party members even mentioned such a plan, THAT INCLUDES SELLING ALL LAND?

So the only ones that would be sold off would be non Koch brothers holdings???

Is this why you have such a hard on for the Koch bros?

The Kochs are longtime libertarians who believe in drastically lower personal and corporate taxes, minimal social services for the needy, and much less oversight of industry—especially environmental regulation. These views dovetail with the brothers' corporate interests.The report showed that, from 2005 to 2008, the Kochs vastly outdid ExxonMobil in giving money to organizations fighting legislation related to climate change, underwriting a huge network of foundations, think tanks, and political front groups. Indeed, the brothers have funded opposition campaigns against so many Obama Administration policies—from health-care reform to the economic-stimulus program

:):):):):)

Latest posts