• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bush to nominate UN critic

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Cal

Reaction score
Bush to nominate UN critic Bolton as envoy :D
Mon Mar 7, 2005 6:32 PM GMT
By Saul Hudson

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President George W. Bush has nominated John Bolton, a longtime critic of the United Nations, to be the new U.S. ambassador to the world body.

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, announcing the nomination at the State Department, said on Monday: "The president and I have asked John to do this work because he knows how to get things done. He is a tough-minded diplomat."

Bolton, a leading hawk against Iran and North Korea as the top U.S. arms control policies diplomat, has complained U.N. bodies fail to take strong enough action against such nations and has strongly criticized some international treaties.

Bolton's nomination, which shocked some diplomats at the United Nations, must be confirmed by the U.S. Senate, where Democrats were expected to bring up previous harsh criticism Bolton has aimed at the world body.

Bush clashed with the United Nations in his first term and launched a war against Iraq despite failing to secure support from the 15-member Security Council.

Since the invasion, the United States has worked more closely with the United Nations -- especially over Iraqi elections -- but it has been less supportive of Secretary-General Kofi Annan than other major powers during a scandal over the Iraq oil-for-food program.

Bolton would take up the U.N. post that was left vacant when former Sen. John Danforth resigned in December.

Several officials from U.N. Security Council member states expressed astonishment that Bush would name someone they believed had a known antipathy towards the United Nations.

From 1989 to 1993, when Bolton was an assistant secretary of state dealing with the United Nations and other international bodies, he irritated diplomats who felt he lectured them what to do rather than negotiated with them.

But one senior council envoy, speaking on condition of anonymity, also spoke of the value of Bolton's high standing in the administration. "It's like the Palestinians having to negotiate with (Israeli Prime Minister) Ariel Sharon. If you have a deal, you know you have a deal," he said.

BLUNT DIPLOMAT

Bolton, 56, has a reputation for speaking bluntly -- a style that at times has caused friction with allied diplomats. State Department officials sought to allay concerns his style could create similar problems at the United Nations.

"Both (U.S. political) parties have had strong personalities as U.N. ambassadors before. Sometimes these people have been controversial, sometimes not -- but it is important the president has someone who will strongly support his agenda," one of the officials said.

One potential flashpoint is over Bolton's leading role in U.S. efforts to oust Mohamed ElBaradei as head of the U.N. nuclear watchdog, the International Atomic Energy Agency.

Bolton has spearheaded the Bush administration's criticism that he could acted more toughly against Iran's programs but the Egyptian is generally well-regarded around the world for his work.

Bolton, who is admired by American conservatives, often clashed with former Secretary of State Colin Powell as he resisted his boss' efforts to negotiate with North Korea over its suspected nuclear weapons development, according to U.S. officials.

Bolton represented a wing in the first term of the Bush administration that advocated confronting and isolating nations such as Iran and North Korea with U.N. sanctions if necessary. He complained that to offer them incentives in talks would be rewarding bad behaviour, according to U.S. officials.

Cal, I heard John Gibson tell of John Bolton this morning on Ask, XM radio. John was filling in for Tony Snow. He said John Bolton isn't very well known right now, but he would probably soon be a household word. John Gibson was obviously tickled pink over this nomination. He said the UN would not get away with the stuff they have been pulling for years. He said John Bolton is tough, intelligent and isn't afraid to tell it the way it is. He said "John Bolton will kick some butt in the UN." He said he is just what we need. He said the people in the UN know that John Bolton KNOWS all about them and they are afraid.

Nice to know there are some men like John Bolton still around and will still take on something of this magnatitude. Oh, Ollie North was on the program also and said some very positive things about John Bolton. Of course the Dem's are more than just a little upset about this new turn of events.

Someone called in and said that George Bush has caused half the world to hate us. John Gibson fired back and said "how about we hate half the world!!" Then this same caller said "Four years ago 'terrorists' wasn't even a word." Boy, did that upset Gibson. He told him off properly--said "read a paper once in awhile, turn on the news instead of hiding under a rock"-- and then said "GET OFF MY RADIO." Another caller said "I was in Desert Storm 10 years ago, if 'terrorists' wasn't a word four years ago, what was I doing in Desert Storm?"

Well, hopefully John Bolton will get the assignment. I think things are going to be very interesting. It is past time someone took on the UN.

Faster horses, isn't it wonderful all of the gutsy moves Bush has made and his incredible successes. Who would have thought that freedom and democracy could have gotten so much footing so quickly?

If I remember correctly, you don't pick up Rush where you are. Anyway, he has been adding markers to soundbites for the supposed reasons that his soundbites are being used (stolen) by other shows. The markers he is using is the Howard Dean Holler followed by Ted Kennedy saying "hello, hello", after a tirade he made against reforming bankruptcy laws. Wish you could hear it, background noise of "hello, hello...AUGHHH" during mostly liberal soundbites, hilarious!

I don't get Rush, but wish I did!! Laura Ingram comes up with some good sound bites as well.

Another thing John Gibson and Ollie North mentioned on XM radio was that GW was taking a chance on going down in history as a great statesman by nominating John Burch. The reason why is over my head, but I will say I truly believe George W. Bush is thinking of our country, not of himself. I think he is one great man. How fortunate we are to have him guiding us!

The Dems are justifiably nervous.

Latest posts