• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Busy days at the ranch these days; in pictures

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Whitewing

Reaction score
For those of you who missed me and wondered if I was okay (and those who were glad to see me gone :D ) things have been really busy at the ranch baling hay. So, yes, I'm staying out of trouble. I spend 12 hours a day on the tractor in fact.

July, August, September, and October will easily be my busiest months of the year as that's when the rains are falling and my bermuda is growing rapidly. I'm happy to report that the sales of bermuda bales have really taken off and I'm now supplying clients in 3 states. Just returned from a livestock show in the state of Bolivar to the south and picked up another good client at the show. I'll post some pics of the livestock show here shortly.

Anyway, these pics were taken last Sunday. A busy day it was indeed.

The smaller of two trucks for another client from Bolivar who ordered 800 bales. These drivers were great. They actually left the keys to the vehicle so we could load her directly from the field.
100_3539.jpg

Makin' hay. I love that tedder I bought....can't imagine working without it.
100_3546.jpg

Checking my irrigation system during the festivities.
100_3535.jpg

Bales on the ground but fortunately no threat of rain (for once).
100_3558.jpg

Some of the recently-cut bermuda on the hills below. This stuff is now commercial though I've not yet installed an irrigation system. From the looks of it, I think this area below may produce even better than what I've currently got under irrigation.
100_3524.jpg

Lunch time; quickly followed by naptime.
100_3520.jpg

100_3521.jpg

Back to work. Who is that masked man?
100_3514.jpg

He's got a good arm.......and the other youngster made a good catch.
100_3516.jpg

That big truck makes mine look like a toy.....and I need to fix that darned parking brake. :?
100_3518.jpg

Finally filled that second truck late in the day.
100_3562.jpg

Cara-Cara.....cool-lookin' birds taking advantage of the tractor's stirring things up.
100_3553.jpg

Loaded and ready to pull out the next morning. All went well and the trucks were in Bolivar by late afternoon on Monday.
100_3567.jpg

glad to see that your doing well and that all the equipment is working for you. i do believe that your next purchase should be some sort of bale gathering device, stacker, stooker, even pulling a wagon behind the baler would eliminate some of the work handling bales

hayguy said:
glad to see that your doing well and that all the equipment is working for you. i do believe that your next purchase should be some sort of bale gathering device, stacker, stooker, even pulling a wagon behind the baler would eliminate some of the work handling bales

Thanks hayguy. I've produced about 9500 bales to date and am already looking into some sort of wagon setup to pull behind the baler. I'm actually toying with the idea of sort of large, lightweight cage that I could fill with bales, wench it up off the trailer, and drive the truck underneath.

Any links you could provide on stackers, stookers, or other gathering devices that have worked well for you would be greatly appreciated.

Faster horses said:
You've got quite an operation going on there.
Congratulations on all your accomplishments.
Your country looks darn good!

What's the temperature there now? Night and day?

We range from the upper 60's to low 70's at night right now to the upper 80's most days. If there's some weather coming in, temps are much cooler during the days.

The rainfall is starting to drop off quite a bit so I'm going to start this week putting a young man (the masked man) working at night with the irrigation system. I've not done that before but am confident that the extra water during the coolest part of a 24 hour cycle will really give the grass a boost.

Very interesting pictures, Whitewing. You are accomplishing great things with your agricultural enterprise, and it is fun seeing the progress as you show photos of current happenings. Continue to keep us posted.

something like this?
I've never worked with it because we don't work with small bales here but it lookes interesting.
http://www.agriaffaires.co.uk/used/bale-stacker/2007894/doucet.html

http://www.fastline.com/v100/Raptor-MOSS-BROS-INC-DALLAS-CENTER-IA-equipment-detail-b99e511c-af85-478b-b0f5-cb86569b3f05.aspx

there are 2 machines here . the top fits on your loader & the bottom on your baler . I think it bunches about 10 or 12 bales . When its full it lets them out & then you pick up the bunches with the claw on your loader .

Latest posts