• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

BVD

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Tap from what I understand you are right about the BVD Protection. I think the Vibrio Lepto doesn't last that far out so we haven't swithed to Preg Guarding in the fall yet.

I need to find out more about how the lepto vibrio needs to be done lazy ace. I think lepto maybe can be done any time, but vibrio should be done in the spring. Our vet says the fall is better than nothing. We do our young cattle in the spring the first time.

Any chance of a haycrop over your way? Not looking too good here just now. It's short and headed out. Lost all our alfalfa this decade. Hate to have gone thru the storm this spring, and then get no hay. That will be a kick in the teeth. It still has time, but needs to get going.

WB said:
Brad S.: You make a valid point but also remember the feedyards don't have to deal with the problems in the cow calf herd that the MLV are causing.

Out of curiousity - what problems?

Recommendations I've heard is the MLV in the spring prior to bull turn out as you'll then have adequate protection from BVD/PI calves over those first critical months. If you vaccinate in the fall with a killed vaccine it's past the first trimester and any PI infections, and immunity isn't near as good by spring when the cows are rebred. Just looking at it from that standpoint it makes more sense to use a MLV while the cows are open.

If you use a MLV on the calves several times prior to their first breeding season, and then killed vacc after they enter the cow herd -- you still have to booster that killed vaccine the first year. Killed really ought to be done 3 times at ~4 week intervals the first time for best protection, per my vet.

A live vaccine needs about 2 weeks to be eliminated from the cow's system, so it's best to wait a few weeks after vaccinating with a MLV before turning the bulls out. I did read something recently on the Select Sires website that claimed you needed to wait a few weeks after vaccinating -even with a killed vaccine- before breeding cows. Had something to do with a higher body temperature and lower conception rates.

Had a synch program go south one time-here they'd vaccinated the day they put CIDR's in-I like to see vaccines at least a month back of breeding.

Tap said:
Tap from what I understand you are right about the BVD Protection. I think the Vibrio Lepto doesn't last that far out so we haven't swithed to Preg Guarding in the fall yet.

I need to find out more about how the lepto vibrio needs to be done lazy ace. I think lepto maybe can be done any time, but vibrio should be done in the spring. Our vet says the fall is better than nothing. We do our young cattle in the spring the first time.

Any chance of a haycrop over your way? Not looking too good here just now. It's short and headed out. Lost all our alfalfa this decade. Hate to have gone thru the storm this spring, and then get no hay. That will be a kick in the teeth. It still has time, but needs to get going.

Tap hay looks pretty short alfalfa's about 4-6 inches high and the tame grass is just a bit higher but so far the haying equipment is still parked in the machine shed. We have alot of carry over from last year but just depends on how much snow the winter starts out with. If you go north of McCintosh it looks a little greener but still a long ways from a great haying season.

have a good one

Lazy ace

Latest posts