• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

By horse only

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jodywy

Reaction score
In terms of being in the center of a circle the farthest distance from any road anywhere in the continental United States, the most remote place is at the southeast corner of Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming. It's surrounded by the wilderness part of Yellowstone, and the Washakie and Teton Wilderness Areas.

jodywy said:
In terms of being in the center of a circle the farthest distance from any road anywhere in the continental United States, the most remote place is at the southeast corner of Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming. It's surrounded by the wilderness part of Yellowstone, and the Washakie and Teton Wilderness Areas.

It was fun living and working in this very area for two and a half months in the fall of 1971. Spent every one of those nights in my bedroll, either sleeping on the ground or on a primitive bunk with pine branches for a mattress. Horses and mules were the only transportation, and since it was a wilderness area, we didn't use any chainsaws, generators, or other motors of any kind. It truly gave me a lot of appreciation for the hardships our ancestors endured while settling this great country.

Some of you may remember that I put up pictures of my elk a year or two ago. This is the general area where we hunted that elk in 1997. The 1988 Yellowstone fire scorched parts of this area and were plainly visible at that time. This is wonderful mountain country that can capture a man's heart.

Also in the general area is an inspirational spot called "Parting of the Waters". It is also called Two Ocean Pass, where the Two Ocean Creek flows out of the mountains, hits the continental divide and splits into the Pacific Creek and the Atlantic Creek. Each stream then flows on towards its respective ocean, never to meet again. A photograph I have of the the sign which designates the spot says it is 1353 miles to the Pacific Ocean and 3488 miles to the Atlantic.

Latest posts