• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cabellas Brokering Away Ranchland?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Interesting article about Cabellas involvement in Real Estate brokering for rich sportsmen- looks like they are raising the wrath of the locals by assisting in taking more ranch/open hunting land and making more private hunting preserves for the rich and corporate elites...

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070625/NEWS01/706250302

Perhaps this company needs to be placed on the "Don't buy here" list. It certainly appears they are moving into non retail sales areas. After all, there is Scheels, and I am sure there are other regional stores to shop at.

Cabella's is siezing an opportunity to make more money. How much will they make as agents for the transaction on a bigt deal like this compared to the supplies they would have sold to digruntaled local outdoorsmen. After all if if becomes a private hunting area or outfitted hunting area they will still make money from selling supplies. it all comes down to money and a loack of concern for the small guy. While i don't disagree what cabella's is trying to do will hurt local outdoorsman it is nothing new. Up here in canada DU has been buying up land for nesting habitat in my area for years they are taking productive cattle land out of production. Oh yeah they allow haying and grazing but, it is a once in four year rotation at a maximum. As i drive up to my pastures i drive past one piece that has not been cut or grazed for 15 years and in the drought a couple of years back when they were selling hay leases i talked to them they told me they weren't in the cattle business but the duck business. So now every opportunity i get i bid against them or find other cattlemen who will. When a piece comes up for sale and they are interested i go and talk to the land owner to try and keep it out of their hands. That is the only way to be. If the church isn't too greedy a deal can be done. It all comes down to money and if landowners selling are even a little concerned about the neighbors deals can be made. But in an open market economy the highest bid wins if people want to be greedy there is nothing that can be done. Truthfully this can all be stopped very easily by having the same legislation as some canadian provinces it limits the amount of land out of province buyers can aquire. It forces people who want to own the land to become primary residents to aquire large tracts of land. Very simple and it would be a state law if passed. problem fixed next. the only down side is for land sellers it will keep prices down for big parcels.

QUESTION said:
Truthfully this can all be stopped very easily by having the same legislation as some canadian provinces it limits the amount of land out of province buyers can aquire. It forces people who want to own the land to become primary residents to aquire large tracts of land. Very simple and it would be a state law if passed. problem fixed next. the only down side is for land sellers it will keep prices down for big parcels.

Isn't this considered "Protectionalism/Isolationism" at its upmost :wink: :lol: :lol:

NO !!!! It makes the potential buyer use the land to produce food, and become a active member in the community they have to commit to living there and making their living there. Not just a rich guy who visits a couple of time a year to vacation and land is wasted. After all god isn't making anymore of it. I guess it all comes down to priorities. Do you want a life style where you can ranch and hunt or do you want to be a serf.

Justify it to yourself whatever way you want-- but just remember the word "HYPOCRITE" the next time you go calling US folks protectionist... :wink: :lol: :lol:

Oldtimer said:
Justify it to yourself whatever way you want-- but just remember the word "HYPOCRITE" the next time you go calling US folks protectionist... :wink: :lol: :lol:

OT what do you call the person that complains when their state land is being bought by "Outsiders" for idling then complains when somebody else does something to prevent it?

Big Muddy rancher said:
Oldtimer said:

OT what do you call the person that complains when their state land is being bought by "Outsiders" for idling then complains when somebody else does something to prevent it?

Probably an Old Grump :wink: Don't think I was complaining- just pointing out a fact- that its happening....

But your Sask. laws are more than just protecting the land from being idled-- because even a farmer/rancher that lives across the line in the US-even has adjoining land and plans to farm or graze it can't buy it- without taking in a Canadian citizen partner that owns 51%....Remember- we tried to buy some...We've been thru that law inside and out :wink: ...

Its flat PROTECTIONALIST and ISOLATIONIST.....Much more than any M-COOL law you and Q whine about.....

Oldtimer said:
QUESTION said:
Truthfully this can all be stopped very easily by having the same legislation as some canadian provinces it limits the amount of land out of province buyers can aquire. It forces people who want to own the land to become primary residents to aquire large tracts of land. Very simple and it would be a state law if passed. problem fixed next. the only down side is for land sellers it will keep prices down for big parcels.

Isn't this considered "Protectionalism/Isolationism" at its upmost :wink: :lol: :lol:

I was just about to point out the same thing...

Oldtimer said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Oldtimer said:

Probably an Old Grump :wink: Don't think I was complaining- just pointing out a fact- that its happening....

But your Sask. laws are more than just protecting the land from being idled-- because even a farmer/rancher that lives across the line in the US-even has adjoining land and plans to farm or graze it can't buy it- without taking in a Canadian citizen partner that owns 51%....Remember- we tried to buy some...We've been thru that law inside and out :wink: ...

Its flat PROTECTIONALIST and ISOLATIONIST.....Much more than any M-COOL law you and Q whine about.....

What do you mean "Adjoining land"? Are you talking "North American" Cause last time I looked you told me we were two seperate countries.
You could have bought land in Saskatchewan. You just would have had to live here to do it. I suppose you would claim you have a North American herd of cows as well. :wink:

That is the very thing you complain all the time about "Out of staters" buying Montana ranches and locking out local hunters ect. I have fought hard to keep conservation orgs like DU and NCC from being able to buy land and idle it. Does as much good as your CRP progam does for small towns. We have neighbours on both sides of us that Live in Montana that own land. One rents his out and the other farms his.

Check the laws OT (Out To lunch) you tried a while ago obviously. They have changed the laws so either you were deliberately lying or ignorant to the fact the laws have changed. But foreigners to canada are restricted by the saskatchewan governement on the amount of land a foreigner can soley own. As far as you other comments we in sask don't want absentee foreign land owners to become the majority. Exactly what is being complained about in this thread. :roll: Up here we don't want to be treated like a third world country like so many who are owned by absentee foreign owners. It is simple and works. By the way i operate some land up here for buddies from tennesse and kentucky they just bought it so they can come up and hunt and eventually retire up here. Kinda shoots your argument to crap. :lol: If your state goverment put in similar restrictions these large tracts of land would not be lost. Again a simple thing that works and because you didn't think it up it is a bad idea. :cowboy:

Yep-- Justify it anyway you want in your mind--its PROTECTIONISM/ISOLATIONISM..

OT how is letting someone buy a limited amount any the things you claim. If someone really wanted to but land up here all they would have to do is move up here for a year and get dual citizenship but the land then move back. But the problem is a international trade regulations.After all canada is not a part of the USA. All the regulations do is solve the problem you guys are having but you seem to want to complain rather than do a simple thing to stop it dead in the track. It seem to me that maybe you guys are just secretly hoping to sell to some rich guy for a resort and die a rich persomn by your standards. And screw the neighbors you will be moving anyways.So keep on complaining and doing nothing that will accomplish nothing as usual.LMAO :roll:

Latest posts