• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cain's 9-9-9 Plan steals the show

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
Republican presidential debate in Hanover, N.H. (AP)

There was one clear winner from Tuesday's Republican presidential debate, based on the simple metrics of name recognition: businessman Herman Cain's "9-9-9 Plan."

Virtually all the candidates at the debate table had something to say about Cain's plan to replace the tax code with three, flat nine-percent federal taxes on consumption, business and income. Cain, once delegated to the remote wings of the debate stage, has enjoyed a surge in the polls ever since he won the straw poll in Orlando, Fla., last month, and at the first debate since he joined former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and Texas Gov. Rick Perry in the top tier, Cain and his policy proposals took up more of the debate's time than the ideas floated by any other candidate.

Of course, this isn't to say that any of them praised Cain's idea. Far from it. In fact, everyone who had an opportunity took shots at the plan.

Former Utah Gov. Huntsman reduced it to "a catchy phrase" and joined former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum in saying it would never be signed into law.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney suggested that the 9-9-9 scheme would be "inadequate" to solve the nation's problems.

"Herman, I have had the experience in my life of taking on some tough problems," Romney said when Cain asked if he could name every single one of the 59-points in his economic plan. "And I must admit that simple answers are always very helpful, but oftentimes inadequate."

Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann even made a joked that referenced the mark of Satan from the Book of Revelation.

"You turn the 9-9-9 plan upside down, and the devil's in the details," referring to the number "666"--the mark of the beast described in Revelation.

But none of his detractors were able to stop Cain from repeating the line all night. Perhaps not anticipating that the candidates would spend their own time discussing Cain's proposal, the moderators ran a pre-arranged clip of Cain touting it a few weeks ago and asked all the candidates to comment on it. Again. So they did, and the "9-9-9 Plan" got a fresh dose of air time.

It was as if every time the candidates mentioned those words--"9-9-9"--Cain got a little more powerful.

This is one marketing scheme, however, that won't last without an upgrade.

One independent analysis of the Cain's plan suggests that it would not create enough revenue to sustain the government's most basic functions. When asked about this, Cain simply dismissed the premise and repeated the "9-9-9" pitch.

"The problem with that analysis is that it is incorrect," Cain said, dismissively.

If he wants to stay in the top tier, he'll have to come up with something better than that. As a lesser-known candidate who only received precious few opportunities to speak in past debates, he could say his bit about the 9-9-9 Plan, and the moderator would move on. But the platform he has earned by landing at the top will require him to expand on his ideas and even come up with new ones.

But at least for tonight, everyone's talking about the 9-9-9 plan, and Cain couldn't have asked for a better gift from his opponents

hypocritexposer

Reaction score
I think I'd trust Cain's math skills above many others

Before his business career he worked as a mathematician in ballistics as a civilian employee of the United States Navy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Cain

Lonecowboy

Reaction score
Why is this even an issue for a Pesidential debate?

read your Constitution Article 1 section 1 word 1

ALL legislative powers resides in Congress- there is none left for the president- NONE! sure he can sugest and wish but he can't get it done, it's not his job, he does not have the authority. why is that so hard to understand? why doesn't a candidate point that out?

Mike

Reaction score
I love it. Them slapping each other around. But this ain't real debating.............

I'd rather give them 15-20 minutes of answer time and let them hang themselves like OT does when he starts rambling about stuff he knows nothing about.

I'm a fan of irony and Cain is a perfect example of it.

Cain is Able to beat Buckwheat 10-20 points at this juncture in the race.

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
The Washington Post discussed some of the answers after the
debate and they pointed out Cain's 9-9-9 wouldn't bring in
enough revenue. I don't know how they know that, there will be
more incomes to create taxes when this country is able to move forward.

Newt got several rounds of applause the others didn't get.
I thought that was unusual, but I tuned in late. Didn't realize
it started at 6 pm on BTV.

BTW, I heard today, one of the contractors in our town is about
to quit business. He can't find scraper operators and the ones
he did have don't want to work because they'll lose their unemployment
benefits. :mad: Nice mess O's gotten us into.........

Latest posts