• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Calf catcher

Help Support Ranchers.net:

per

Reaction score
Soapweed or others, I am not sure of the key words that take me to the many post of calf safety cages that attach to quads. My son wants to build one to attach to a ranger to keep him and his mother safe. I like the challenge.

Kosmo1

Reaction score
If you didn't live so far away you could just buy ours. I, like per, prefer the challenge. I have discovered that I can cover more ground quicker and more efficiently with my ranger and shepherds hook (for safety). The cage was invaluable when peach blossom was tagging everything but I don't have much use for it these days. I don't think I even hooked it up last year.

My routine attire during calving consists of a vest that is essentially a fanny-pack full of assorted calf tags, my telescopic shepherds hook that doubles from 5'-10', and a short floppy rope that I can catch calves with and hog tie. I highly recommend the shepherds hook because when a cow isn't giving you your space a gentle tap on the nose from the hook gives a convincing whack. It doesn't even have to be very hard of a "tap" but the inner aluminum shaft vibrates against the outer and I think it scares them more than anything. You just have to be careful not to hit with the side of the hook because those have a tendency to break. Between the hook and strategic parking of the ranger have allowed me to work with calves in a rather safe environment without use of the cage.

I don't look very punchy roaming through the calving lot but I have found these tools to be the most functional for the job.

Bar M

Reaction score
I have a safety zone catcher. This is my second one first one lasted me about 8 years.
My thoughts on building one is make sure there is enough savings in building your own. There are so many times a person can spend more trying to DIY then just calling a dealer and writing the check. I know the safety zone types have a mounting styles for what ever you want to hook them on too. The best bet is to put it on one machine and leave it on for the season.

James

Reaction score
I just purchased a safety zone catcher, I like the way it is made and hooks up and unhooks in a couple of minutes, it seems to handle real nice, just waiting for the calves to start coming and put it to use, will feel a lot safer using it since I am getting older and the cows more protectful of their calves.

Latest posts