• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Calf hook problem

Help Support Ranchers.net:

SCMO

Reaction score
My alumium calf hook is rubbing of some sort of metallic/silver tarnish on my hands any way to stop this or at least slow it. The calving book is getting pretty dirty.

SCMO said:
My alumium calf hook is rubbing of some sort of metallic/silver tarnish on my hands any way to stop this or at least slow it. The calving book is getting pretty dirty.

I was also going to suggest wearing gloves. Here is another alternative that might be more "user friendly" since it is made out of plastic. It is the "Hook Doctor" from the Ritchey ear tag company. The small hook is the same size as on your aluminum hook, for catching a calf's leg. The large hook on the opposite side is for sticking in a cow's mouth to check her teeth or to subdue her while putting in an ear tag. This Hook Doctor is a pretty nifty invention.

TheHookDoctorfromtheRitcheyeartagcompany.jpg

Go to a hardware store or an electrical supply house and pick up a can of insulating dip. Basically it is made for dipping metal tools in to help make them insulated to protect from electrical shock, but it would solve your dirty hand problem pretty slick! :wink:

If it is any consolation, my old Dodge feed pickup has electrician's tape wrapped around the steering wheel. That will sure turn a feller's hands black after it has been there for awhile. I need to give it its yearly re-tape. :wink:

Soap, if ya dont have atleast two rolls of black tape and a little baling wire tieing things together, you must make way too much money! :wink:

pretty slick! You might not like it if you can't get a grip on it. :wink: :roll: :)

leanin' H said:
per said:
pretty slick! You might not like it if you can't get a grip on it. :wink: :roll: :)

You, of all people, know what I meant ya knothead! :wink:

Hey tell us about this dip. Will it help tools from rusting when you accidentally leave them out in the rain. (some of us get rain :wink: It comes from the sky. :) ) Do you dip the whole tool in it and then cut it off the wrench pad?

per said:
leanin' H said:
per said:

You, of all people, know what I meant ya knothead! :wink:

Hey tell us about this dip. Will it help tools from rusting when you accidentally leave them out in the rain. (some of us get rain :wink: It comes from the sky. :) ) Do you dip the whole tool in it and then cut it off the wrench pad?

I'd like more informatio about that "rain" phenomenom you were talking about, but that is a different thread. :shock:

If you were to buy about 50 gallons of the dip i told you about and dip a certain smart alec I know in it, you would find yourself electrically insulated from my sharp wit! :wink: Or you could dip some chips in it and have a picnic! :lol:

Latest posts