• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Calf killing coyotes

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Liberty Belle

Reaction score
I was on the phone most of the morning trying to help the neighbor find a baby calf to replace one that coyotes killed early this morning. The good little first-calf heifer that he had bought from us, showed up on the feed ground and looked like she'd calved, so he got his horse and went to find it - too late. He rode up just as a pair of coyotes were ripping the guts out of the calf and were dragging the still living calf across the ice on the creek.

Of course he didn't have a gun with him because he never expected anything like this, so the coyotes got away and he had to finish the calf off with his jackknife. It's a good thing no one from one of those "save the poor predator" outfits happened along right then because they wouldn't have fared very well.

The aerial hunter is coming tomorrow if the wind lets him fly. Sure hope it stays calm.

That is sure too bad to hear LB.

Nature ain't real pertty sometimes.

Feller who has ground south of us down in the breaks, fights them coyotes at calving too. I told him to let them cows have horns and it might help.

We've had several big horned steers running with our cows over the years, and from the way they act when a dog showed up, I think they would help out a lot with coyotes. Maybe your neighbor needs to by a longhorn bull and cut him and turn him loose with the cows.

Calving season might have alot to do with it too-we calve a bit later when the gophers and such are out and though we have yotes in the calving fields they don't do much but steal cleanings. Maybe those 'EXT's' taste too wild for them. How can a guy in a country overrun with yotes not be packing his rifle at calving time-do they seriously send a pilot up everytime somebody loses a calf-wouldn't it be cheaper to shoot an old cow and set up over the bait.

NR, I think you may be right, about the timing of calving. If there is more wild prey available, then the coyotes maybe would be less likely to try and get a calf.

But change comes real hard, to some people.

Well the same solutions to the same problems don't seem to be working there-I guess we have to much bush to even entertain aerial hunting so we learned to find other solutions.

I was told a mule or donkey work great for predator control. Just put them in the calving area and coyotes keep there distance ( or die :!: )

Jinglebob: We've had several big horned steers running with our cows over the years, and from the way they act when a dog showed up, I think they would help out a lot with coyotes. Maybe your neighbor needs to by a longhorn bull and cut him and turn him loose with the cows.
These guys also raise longhorn bulls and run a lot of roping and bull dogging steers. Evidently that didn't help.

Cowzilla: I was told a mule or donkey work great for predator control. Just put them in the calving area and coyotes keep there distance.
Most ranchers around here have tried donkeys, including us, but they're pretty worthless. Our Great Pyrenees dog works great with the sheep but they won't stay with the cattle.

Northern Rancher: How can a guy in a country overrun with yotes not be packing his rifle at calving time-do they seriously send a pilot up everytime somebody loses a calf-wouldn't it be cheaper to shoot an old cow and set up over the bait.
I guess that depends on how many cows you want to waste. I don't know about you, but we'd rather sell our old cows than turn them into coyote bait.

You can be sure this cowboy will never ride unarmed through the calving pasture again and yes, we do call the pilot every time we have a kill. That's what we tax ourselves to pay him for.

Aldicarb

Trade and Other Names: Aldicarb is also called aldicarbe. Trade names include Temik, ENT 27093, OMS 771, and UC 21149.

Regulatory Status: Aldicarb is a Restricted Use Pesticide (RUP) in the U.S. RUPs may be purchased and used only by certified applicators. Aldicarb is rated toxicity class I - highly toxic. Products containing aldicarb bear the signal word DANGER-POISON on the label.

Chemical Class: carbamate

Introduction: Aldicarb, a member of the carbamate class of chemicals, is an extremely toxic systemic insecticide. Used to control mites, nematodes, and aphids, it is applied directly to the soil. It is used widely on cotton, peanut, and soybean crops. In the mid-1980s, there were highly publicized incidents in which misapplication of aldicarb contaminated cucumbers and watermelons and led to adverse effects in people. In 1990, the manufacturer of Temik (aldicarb), announced a voluntary halt on its sale for use on potatoes because of concerns about groundwater contamination.

Works extremely well on coyotes too.

Tell us more Mike. How do you use it? Bait a carcass with it like we did with 1080 or can you roll it in a ball of tallow to make drop baits like we used to do with strychnine? And is it legal to use or will USFW come visiting?

I have just sprinkled about 1/2 cup on a fresh placenta. But only when I could drag it outside the fence. Tallow balls should work too.

They don't make it 20 feet sometimes.

I can't say that the "Possum Sheriff" won't frown on it though.

Northern Rancher said:
Calving season might have alot to do with it too-we calve a bit later when the gophers and such are out and though we have yotes in the calving fields they don't do much but steal cleanings. Maybe those 'EXT's' taste too wild for them. How can a guy in a country overrun with yotes not be packing his rifle at calving time-do they seriously send a pilot up everytime somebody loses a calf-wouldn't it be cheaper to shoot an old cow and set up over the bait.

We too have problems with coyotes but we don't let that dictate when we are going to calve. A lot of ranches are not in one nice block of land, the home place and summer pasture may be many miles away. And a lot of ranchers put cattle out to grass on private/tribal/goverment leases and need to make the most of their aum's. So having the pairs ready to ship by certain dates is important. Most poeple around here sell calves right off the cow in september/october. The extra age/weight pays off through the sale ring.

We are over run by small game but the coyotes are always looking for a easier meal. We ranch next to a Federal Wildlife Refuge and every spring the coyotes show up like clock work. We've lost one calf already as have our neibors who are serious varment hunters. They were feeding heifers in the middle of the day and caught a pair of coyotes harassing the first new pair, they shot one coyote and moved the pair and 100+ heavy heifers closer to home. The next morning another heifer had calved and coyotes had killed that calf. The one we lost was from a running age cow and these are'nt barn yard cows :!:

The trapping laws are strict about trapping near bait traps must be so for from carcass becuse of protected birds such as eagles. Spotlighting is also regulated to point of uselessness. The state or USFWLS don't give a damn about property rights here JMHO :eek:

Sixty years ago a relative rancher had a plane and killed thousands of coyotes and livestock losses were not a problem. The problem started when the anti fur folks knocked the bottom out of the fur market. The demand for fur diminished and people quit hunting them without the cash incentive.

I like to see coyotes in the country but they have to be controlled :cry2:
As far as extinction yeah right :???:

Oh yeah, same goes for mountain lions :lol:

Firearms are a whole nother issue here, kind of frowned on in this farmerized country. Although SD allows concealed carry. :D Most people are too lazy or thoughtless to have protection handy every day.

Not questioning your ways Northern Rancher just my experiances/opinions in this country.

Been on the Pred board here for years. Alot of the cow outfits years ago asked for a refund and wouldn't let the plane fly over thier property. Well as more sheep out fits went out of bussiness , they have since paid thier back perdatory taxes and asked for the plane to come gun.

Yesterday I lost a nice healthy calf because of a wolf the old cow had managed to fight him off but in the process stepped on her calf. When I found her she was plumb wore out with steam still rising off of her and nudging her calf and talking to him to try to get him up and out of there. sure broke my heart. I figured the wolf must have heard me coming and got the hell out of there. the tracks in the snow told the whole story. sometimes living this close to Yellowstone Park ain't so great though we had wolves here when we moved here in 68 and my sister caught one in a trap around 79. there isn't any use in calling the wolf authorities I tried that last year when a wolf killed a three year old cow. I covered her with a tarp and did everything by the book but since the ground was froze and there wasn't any tracks or wolf hair caught on the fence they wrote it down as a probable and they never did anything about it nor did I hear from them again. Sure a lot of help they were. Then today I had a pack of coyotes just east of the house that were sure raising hell with the antelope. Made me awful nervous as they were within a half of mile of my pairs and my rifle was in my truck that my ranchhand had over at his house.

Sounds like we all just need to move to Canada.

Evidently they don't have wolves that kill up there. I suppose they shipped all them to the U.S. And sounds like their coyotes never want to eat any nasty ol' beef. What do you all say, should we go to Canada? :wink:

Sorry to hear your bad luck Cowboyup . I thought I had problems . I've read alot of stories in the magazine "Range" of similar things happening out west. The defender is always in the wrong whether you're a camper or rancher or whatever.

With healthy populations (wolves) already established in parts of the US why do these folks think we need more all over by "reintroducing"? With 40% of the land owned by feds/state/county/ and non taxed orgs; they should have room to play with out infringing on others livleyhoods while we feed the world.

The pioneers of this country spent years fighting wolves . I wonder what they would say. :wink:

Anybody who is #%$^%^&*& STUPID enough to talk about dosing up a carcass with an insecticide to kill coyotes had better give his head a shake-if you want every government agency in the world coming down on you big time-use your head for god's sake. For one thing you'll kill everything that eats on it-I imagine a dozen or so poisoned eagles might raise a few eyebrows. I've travelled alot in S.D. Liberty Belle and I've never seen a pickup without a gun in it I'm sure most ranchers can find something to use for bait-even a road killed deer or mountain lion. But again if you are stupid enough to use an insecticide for poisoning don't chirp about it on a public forum-talk about giving enviromentalists some ammo to fire. We had one idiot did it up here-he was fined thousands of bucks and rightly so.

Wife driving to town this morning with our Daughter, Daughter saw 4 canines across the river in the nieghbors with a cow cut off from the rest. She called him, then called me I just happened to be away from the tractor and heard 6 shots as we talked. Haven found out yet any more details.
Now the good thing about 1080 was it was higly efective for canines, if used proberly it was damn hard to kill a egale.

Jinglebob said:

Evidently they don't have wolves that kill up there. I suppose they shipped all them to the U.S. And sounds like their coyotes never want to eat any nasty ol' beef. What do you all say, should we go to Canada? :wink:
Jinglebob we didn't send them to USA..we SOLD them to USA. : :p :wink:

Mrs.Greg said:
Jinglebob said:

Man, did we get snookered! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You guys need any mountain lions, up there. Seems we have a few extra, we'd sell you at cost. :wink:

Jinglebob said:
Mrs.Greg said:
Jinglebob said:

Man, did we get snookered! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You guys need any mountain lions, up there. Seems we have a few extra, we'd sell you at cost. :wink:
Ummmm no thanks :lol:

Latest posts