• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Calling all backach experts...

Help Support Ranchers.net:

katrina

Reaction score
I've been dealing with lower back pain for prolly twenty years. My lower back has ached most of the summer. I've been getting some chiro treatments to help. Nothing seems to really help...I did go to the doctor last tuesday.. He gave me some pills to sleep at nite.... I was stoned untill about noontime yesterday... I just can't do that stuff with harvest and driving deano to school. I just rode in the truck yesterday with hubby and slept... I can work fine no differance in the pain. both legs are strong. Just this constant pain.... They don't really say what's wrong.. Dr. did say that maybe I needed to have some vertibrates fused....... Any wisdom would be appreciated...Sounds like the next stop is a nurologist(sp).

My lower back surgery was instant relief.

Was mad at myself afterwards for putting it off for 5 years.

I asked my neurosurgeon about a Chiro. He gave me a name of one and suggested a good witch doctor also and said, "you'll be back".

I was.

When the pain gets bad enough, you'll be begging for the knife.

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
Just curious here....because of lower back pain myself.....if you have some fused...how much range of motion do you loose?

Depends on how many you have fused.

But on one it is negligible.

My neighbor just had some fused last spring and now he's about the same shape as before.

Explore all your options, Katrina. Physiotherapy can do a lot, from my experience. Check your PM's, or perhaps I should say Private Messages just so you don't take me the wrong way... :wink:

Had some pretty fierce back pain a few years back.

Doc had an MRI done and said I had sciatica - where the nerves from your legs enter your spinal column. They did a lamendectomy where they cut a piece of a couple of bones out and throw them away.

Never had any discomfort from the operation and the pain is gone. Should have done it sooner.

Two years ago tomorrow I broke my back. Six months later they did surgery replacing a disc and installing some titanium to hold it all together. I still hurt like crazy in the same spot that had hurt the worst since I got injured. Two of the best back docs on the eastern slope both said they had done all they could do and recommended pain management. I did want that, I wanted fixed. I ended up going though because the pain was too much. Also I had trouble sleeping(still do was up prior 48 hrs to 10 this am). Anyhow, I showed the pill doc where I hurt and she said that where I was pointing to my hip joint. Sure enough, I had damaged some nerves when I got hurt. Two weeks ago they injected the left side of my butt 14 times as they went in to burn and kill thos nerves. As the nerves are dieing, the pain is subsiding. She says my sleep will improve as the pain subsides and I can get comfortable.

Another thing I tried is a homemade liniment.
1- bottle green alcohol
1- sm bottle of campho- phynique
16- regular aspirin
pour alcohol and campho-phynique together. Crush up aspirin really fine and pour into mixture. Give bottle a good shake before use to mix up. The alcohol soaks the aspirin into skin right where you hurt. The campho kind of heats the area to stimulate blood flow.

This helps real well on common aches and pains and is a cheap liniment.

With 2 hernitated disks L3 & L4 pain and I are very good friends.
I can not take strong pain meds due to being alergic to 99% of them and the others cause me to be so loopy I cant get out of bed.
Drink LOTS and LOTS of water. do exercises ie...pull knee up to chest for the count of 10 do each leg while laying down 10 times. Pull knees up and lean them to the left then right 10 times each side. Then get out of bed SLOWLY.
Roll and arch your back a couple times. Take breaks between sitting and standing. once you are out of pain for a couple days or a dull pain start working on your core. Get that stronger and it helps. DO NOT do any cardo workouts. That will cause more damage and pain with all the jarring.
Try reflexology or massage therapy. Try accupuncture.
Every chronic back pain sufferer has to find what works for them and breaks the pain cycle. Ibuprophen 800mg works good for dulling the pain. I take 3 when its really bad and have to go to work. No I dont take it everyday so my liver is ok.
Sending prayers ...back pain is one of those things untill you have delt with it people dont understand and think its all in your head, or its not that bad.

Up date.. Seen the doctor again this afternoon.. I have some discomfort towards my belly button... Roscoe said he could feel a bump... I have elevated white cell count in my urine, but no blood and will see about a cat scan and a mri maybe as soon as tomorrow...She does colonosscopies every morning so guess while I'm scared might as well do that also... whoopeeee

katrina said:
Up date.. Seen the doctor again this afternoon.. I have some discomfort towards my belly button... Roscoe said he could feel a bump... I have elevated white cell count in my urine, but no blood and will see about a cat scan and a mri maybe as soon as tomorrow...She does colonosscopies every morning so guess while I'm scared might as well do that also... whoopeeee

I'm glad you aren't waiting, katrina.
Good luck! We'll be praying for your good health.
I hope you find out what's going on.

Well I was wondering about a bladder/ kidney infection.
If it is "back" issues Physiotherapy sure might help. Those heat patches can really help for short term relief.

Tam gets relief from a deep muscle massage and I go to a chiropractor occasionally. Mostly for baler neck. :D

katrina, you are smart to be seeing those quacks, never had much use for them but they are necessary when you're feelin pekid, stay with it, you will get better.
good luck

Thanks everyone.... I go in for my cat scann on Thursday... I have to drink some stuff before so wish me luck on that!! It's hard for me to keep heavy stuff down and I can't do pepto bismol... I know it's my back.. Burnt I am doing excersises..

katrina said:
Thanks everyone.... I go in for my cat scann on Thursday... I have to drink some stuff before so wish me luck on that!! It's hard for me to keep heavy stuff down and I can't do pepto bismol... I know it's my back.. Burnt I am doing excersises..

Katrina,
You are in my prayers and everything will go well tomorrow (today for you). Whatever it is giving you trouble, it will be cured for once and for all. Stay strong, many of us are here are supporting you along the way :)

katrina, hope those quacks fix you up, I would be very careful about lettin them cut on you, I would have to been in severe pain constantly, if surgery goes south you could very well be worse.
I have had back trouble since I was a kid dragging cotton sacks in cotton fields, hard work all your life pretty much equals back problems for some of us.
I seen back surgeries that went bad, personal friend of mine wound up in a wheel chair till the day he died from back surgery, aqnd still had terrible pain, of course that was several years back, and now they have really perfected some of these surgeries, anyway have no idea if you need surgery, but it would sure be my last resort and after I tried the pain management program.
I wont waste alot of time typing about the numerous times I hurt my back including breaking it in 2 places once.
Im gonna post a link to a procedure that is'nt done much because of risks associated with it, when it first come out I was one of the folks that got it, as it was controlled and in the experaminal stage.
Anyway it took a year before it eat up enough disc to relieve some pain and it seemed like slowly but surely pain was leaving until the pain was completely gone.
And I had some side effects that subsided except for one, some how it killed some nerves in my thigh, there is a place about a foot long that has absolutely no feeling in it...........................good luck girl hope you have something minor and the quacks can get you back to enjoyin life.

PS here's the link, dont even know if it's still being done, looks like it is, was about 30 years ago when I was one of their guinea pigs.
http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/chemonucleolysis-for-herniated-disc

katrina said:

OK, KATRINA....THURSDAY IS HERE AND GONE...WHAT ARE THE RESULTS!!??? BEEN PRAYING FOR SOME GOOD NEWS FOR YOU!!!

No news yet..... Whitch is good news.... I should know today.... I am totally flipping out as I know 6 people who have been diagnosised with cancer some pretty bad... I do have to say that I am soooo impressed with our little hospital in Valentine.... Everyone is so nice and explain everything.... I felt totally at ease with my cat scan.. Wasn't as bad as they said.. It's my back I know it!!
You all will be the first to know anything I promise as you all are my family...

Katrina,
I am expecting good news, and know that we are here to support you. Let us know of any news.

Best,
Sweetbasil

Latest posts