• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Calving headaches!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Yes he is. I'm going to have to dig out his papers, though. We bought him from Crittendon's at Imperial, Sask. Great bull.

Dandy bull you have there Shelly. Solid EPD's, great pedigree. Saw a few of 157K's half brothers at Agribition a few years ago and was impressed. Dark, solid and moderate framed cattle. I really don't think you can go wrong with Continental's sons.

We only ended up with him out of a bit of bad luck. I am so glad we did. We had bought a bull from Johner's and we never even got to use him, he was being kept at their place and ended up in a scrap that ended his career as a herd bull. This was in April, so pickins' were getting pretty slim. I phoned Crittendon's and they had two two-year-olds left, went and had a look. As soon as I seen this guy, all I could think was "he's the one"! He has big goggles, pigment on his testicles (which are a very good size), and the sweetest personality to boot! And meat, lots of meat! Only drawback, he sires a pile of heifer calves. Good, if a person was to keep the majority of them, bad if you're trying to sell them in the fall.

Aaron those are some nice looking herefords from osmeone who is married into teh 3rd generation of them here.
We use blacks on the heifers and some of the other younger cows and keep the horned herefords on the older cows for replacement.
Looking like the replacement heifers might have to hit the sale if teh mositure doens't come by the end of the month and i don't even mean snow but might have to be that way for some in this SD state as are setting worse off than we are for water. Our biggest problem will be grass. Maybe May will be a big rain monht.
YOu are lucky that you dont' have to worry about drought where you are.
We are in the upper 60's this weekend and no showers so not to good. Thinking a littel system might come through on MOnday so we will see.
Take care every one and keep up the good herefords Aaron.
Bev in West Dakota :lol:

Aaron said:
Thanks Bev. Hope you get a good rain in the next while. A good three day soaker does the land good.

And a good 3 day bender doesnt hurt either.. 8)

Well, let me know so I can let Tori know so she can come up with some new wisecracks for you! And then also, I can be there and get a dinner and a show for the price of the meal!

Juan, sure seems like they are picking on your favorite breed. I just have to say I would like to thank the hereford industry for teaching me how to rope. If it wasn't for a neighbor with at least 75% pinkeye problems in his herd year after year, I would have been one bored teenager. :)

Bull Burger said:
Juan, sure seems like they are picking on your favorite breed. I just have to say I would like to thank the hereford industry for teaching me how to rope. If it wasn't for a neighbor with at least 75% pinkeye problems in his herd year after year, I would have been one bored teenager. :)

I just can't get past those pink teats. Bad childhood memories.

[Cal
I just can't get past those pink teats. Bad childhood memories.[/quote]

I would ask you to explain that comment but I don't think I want to know that much about your Childhood. :wink: :cowboy:

I had a neighbor that had problems with his herefords, so he sold them and went black.
The only problem was he always bought the bottom end hereford bulls, and when he bought his black cows he spent a fortune on them. Since he spent so much on them he babied them like crazy. Heck his hereford never even knew what supplement or minerals were. Also he would go to a blck bull sale and buy the top end bulls. It is amazing what a different color will do.

Big Muddy rancher said:
[Cal
I just can't get past those pink teats. Bad childhood memories.

I would ask you to explain that comment but I don't think I want to know that much about your Childhood. :wink: :cowboy:[/quote]

LMAO! Actually I was remembering helping with way too many Hereford cows with sunburned bags kicking their calves off, and getting them in the chute again and again, getting the calf hooked on and then greasing up their bags, maybe where I learned to cuss so good . . . :D Oh yeah, but today's Hereford's have pink teats that don't sunburn, I forgot!

Latest posts