• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Calving pens

Help Support Ranchers.net:

4Diamond said:
I understand. Is using regular working facilities out of the question?
Probably not out of the question but the pens make it easier. Also with a skidsteer you can move the pen around or take it out of the way if needed. We have a Daniels double alley that's portable and fits in our barn so when it's time to A.I. or PG we can work our herd but move it and put up a calving pen for calving season. Get double use from the barn and most of it's portable so we can move to different parts of the ranch if needed. Headcatches with two gates work just as slick, if not slicker, but aren't generally portable. Just my thought's anyway. Between the ranch I'm on and the other ranch east of here portable works good for us. Both have barns, corrals, working facilities and the whole nine yards but sometimes something comes up and it just works to work the cattle where they are. But as far as calving goes we stick as close as we can to the barn, as far as heifers go, and the older cows have the wide open to calve in, although the barn is available for them too if needed. But when calving the cows on 600 acres they generally do it on their own or they are out of the program. In that kind of enviroment the rope, horse and cowboy come out and play a little game of tag. :D

I make it sound like I've never calved any cattle in before, lol. Ours do it in the elements but we don't have the climate you guys do.

I've just never seen a dedicated calving pen in this part of the world.

A small roof over working facilities is a cheap investment with prices of chutes etc these days.

Latest posts