• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Can a horse be good under saddle and good in harness?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Curly

Reaction score
When I was a pup we had a two wheel buggy I would hook up to our horse and ride all around town. Us kids would use that same horse under saddle. The horse was a Shetland.

I don't have a buggy now but I would like to get one. My question to the more savvy horse folks would be, do you think a horse can be good under saddle and in harness as well?

I have heard some trainers say that a horse should not do both because the harness will desensitize the horse and make him not as good under saddle. The harness work will also give him a tough mouth.

I will be interested to hear from those of you who may have some experience with this.

Curly

We've used horses for both with no trouble at all,as a matter of fact my black and white mare is my saddle horse and drives our one horse sleigh.

I agree with Mrs. Greg-- we did it for years...Some of the best old kids horses were also used to pull wagons, carts, buggies, sleighs, sleds, skiers, whatever...The only problem was if you used a horse for heavy pulling in harness they built up a shoulder/legs or stiffened up the shoulders/legs where they lost some of the agility for riding/working cattle....

I dont have experience with horses that have been worked in harness. However I have started a few colts. Usually before I ride a colt for the first time as part of my groundwork program, I put a halter on the colt with two long lines attached to it for reins. I helps get them used to me being beyind them and controling them. It doesnt take to long before I can get them to go backwards/forwards and sidepass in different gears<gaits, speeds>. Actually if you tie your long lines together or use a contineis piece of rope for a solid rein you can get your horse to lunge around you and then change direction by him turning towards you. This is with the rope rein around the horse. You just have to keep your part of the rope off the ground so he doesnt get tangled up in it. But its good because the colt gets used to ropes touching his legs and he tends to arch towards you because of it.
Anyway about makeing the horse hard in the mouth. I think its probable a case of who is working the horse in harness. Im thinking if its a good hand the horse should be soft if its worked in harness?
Those chuckwagon horses look super hard mouthed but I imagine they are high on grain and the trainers are not to concerned about it.
I have seen some darn fine teams at the Calgary stampede but these were not race horses. These horses looked soft. Not just in the mouth either. The teams always in the same gait with one another, with the same length of stride and tempo. Both horses relaxed and happy :D

We have some horses we both ride and drive. I don't think it hurts a bit, especially if it is light work. My old standardbred seems to think he is still off to the races in the single cart, and likes to lug on the bit, but isn't hard mouthed at all under saddle.

The Spanish Riding School of Vienna trains their Lipizzans
the airs above ground" Levade,Capriole and Courbette" with long lines with the trainer on the ground.
Those Lipizzans dont seem hard mouthed :D

Old Dog/New Tricks. Shhhhhhh.

Quit tellin em about Morgans. The rest of the folk on the forum will keep riding there AQHA ponies. You and I will keep all the good using horses to ourselves. Just remember Morgans are icky! (let's keep the secret that they are the best horses out there to ourselves... :twisted: :gag:) They will never know what they are missing if they keep riding the quarter horses.

Morgans and crosses thereof are my absolute favorites. Super easy gaits, and soooo smart. They can be really cowy as well. I don't own one at the moment but I will have another one someday that's for sure! Probably something out of the Alberta stud Cocoa something er other. Talk about quality using horse! And all of the babies that I have worked with are just like poppa!

Well, if I understand God like I think I do, I think the man upstairs has a bit of a sense of humor . It is alot easier for them to pitch us over there heads with no withers :) But I know what you mean I have found myself on the odd neck or two when riding bareback .

oops :oops: back to the topic at hand. Yes a horse can be good at both :) there back on track 8)

I think it's KRP Cocoa. I'm not 100% sure on that. I just know he is buckskin, old style and fantabulous :) I like that Saddlebuck horse too but I have only seen photos.

here he is :) http://www.2jmorganfarms.com/Stallions/KRPCocoa.html

Curly said:
thread thief! :wink:
I noticed even after Judith apoligised for stealing you thread,she continued to do so :evil:

Well on second thought I don't recall a thread EVER staying on course :lol: :lol:

Oh and to stay on with the thread theme...yup go ahead use your horse for harnassing,a little work needed on the harness,but should be OK :)

Latest posts