• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Canada Prepares For Boxed-Beef Ban

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

6/2/2005 3:47:00 PM

Canada Cattle Industry Prepares For Possible US Boxed-Beef Ban

WINNIPEG (Dow Jones)--The Canadian cattle industry has plans in place should the U.S. border to Canadian boxed beef exports be closed, according to

industry sources. The Ranchers-Cattlemen Action Legal Fund, or R-CALF, has been after U.S. District Judge Richard F. Cebull of Montana to halt boxed-beef imports from Canada.

One analyst said that should a ban on boxed beef be implemented, prices for live cattle in Canada would plummet and likely would prompt calls for drastic action such as the immediate depopulation of the Canadian cattle herd - which is among four industry plans in place.

The R-CALF complaint alleges that the U.S. Department of Agriculture's decision to open the border to bone-in and other meats from Canada is "arbitrary (and) capricious" and "increases the risk of importing contaminated beef products from cattle infected with bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) into the United States," which will cause "irreparable harm" to cow or calf operators.

R-CALF was already successful in preventing the reopening of the U.S. border to live cattle from Canada under the age of 30 months that was to have

occurred in early March.

"Whether R-CALF will be successful boils down to the USDA's defense of their rule and its opposition to the closure of the border to boxed beef as well as to R-CALF's arguments for blocking the rule and its arguments in favor of stopping the flow of boxed beef," said Ted Haney, president of the Canadian Beef Export Federation.

The Canadian cattle industry can do little at this stage, he said. "Right now the chances of Judge Cebull siding with R-CALF are pretty good given his past record," said Herb Lock, a livestock analyst with Farm Sense Marketing.

Lock said should Cebull issue the ban on boxed beef, Canada will simply have more beef to dispose of. "The danger here is that if we can't move boxed beef into the U.S. market, there are no other markets willing to take that much beef," Lock said. "We will then move back into a scenario much like when Canada's cattle market came to a complete standstill immediately following the discovery of the first BSE infected animal in Alberta in May of 2003."

Haney pointed out that should Judge Cebull decide to include boxed beef from Canada in the ban, the USDA quickly would move to challenge the ruling

in the Appeals Court of San Francisco.At that point, the Appeals Court has the responsibility of including in its consideration the impact of the decision on the trading relationship between Canada and the U.S., Haney said.

The Canadian cattle industry already has put in motion plans to deal with the worst-case scenario, which would be the U.S. border also closing to boxed-

beef shipments from Canada.

If the border closes to boxed beef, Haney said, the Canadian cattle industry will seriously look at four options:- disposal of surplus cattle or depopulation. "Basically what would happen is the downsizing of the Canadian cow herd to match slaughter capacity that is available at present," he said. - increase slaughter and beef processing capacity even further.

Haney noted that pre-BSE slaughter capacity in Canada totaled roughly 70,000 head be per week. At present, slaughter capacity in Canada is roughly 88,000 head a week and was expected to hit 98,000 head per week by the end of 2005, which would be roughly self-sufficient levels.- implement a larger set-aside program, in which cattle temporarily are taken out of the marketplace, than that already exists.

Haney said depopulation would only be considered as a last resort as it would be opposed by the industry. He said it would also be considered only if all markets to Canadian beef would be closed.- implementation of BSE testing for each animal slaughtered to the food market.

"The thinking is that by testing every Canadian animal for BSE, it would be much more palatable for countries such as Japan, other Asian countries along with Russia and would go along way to opening those markets up to Canadian beef," Haney said.

He acknowledged that there would likely be resistance from the Canadian Meat Council and the major packers in Canada to testing every animal for BSE.

Haney said Japan imports roughly 800,000 metric tons of beef per year. South Korea imports about 400,000 tons of beef, Taiwan 150,000 tons and Russia 600,000 tons.

"By testing every animal for BSE, Canada would be able to gain access to those markets very easily," Haney said. "Canada would only need to capture less than a 10% share of each of those markets to accommodate a weekly slaughter kill of 98,000 head a week."

Of the 98,000-head-a-week cattle kill, the Canadian domestic market can absorb 54,000," he said. "While it would take time, Canada will be able to replace the lost boxed beef sales to the U.S.," Haney predicted.

In calendar year 2004, Canada exported 365,000 metric tons of beef to the US. Of that, 162,000 tons was redirected by U.S. outlets to Asia, Mexico, and other small markets, Haney said.

Source: Dwayne Klassen, Dow Jones Newswires;

"He acknowledged that there would likely be resistance from the Canadian Meat Council and the major packers in Canada to testing every animal for BSE."

Burns my arse that the packers would rather ruin the producers and depopulate than test every animal to open exports.
What burns my arse even more is that they can get by with it.

Quote- "By testing every animal for BSE, Canada would be able to gain access to those markets very easily," Haney said. "Canada would only need to capture less than a 10% share of each of those markets to accommodate a weekly slaughter kill of 98,000 head a week."

I suspect that at least part of the multi-million dollar expansion and upgrade projects, done by both Cargill and Tyson in Alberta over the last year and a half, included construction of additional on- site lab facilities to accomodate 100% BSE testing. If this is so, it will take very little time to go to 100% testing if R-Calf is successful. :) :)

We just got home from the SSGA convention and a resolution was passed that if boxed beef exports are stopped to the US that the SSGA will support 100% testing for market access. But it was also mentioned in John Masswohl's talk that if boxed beef to the US was stopped that a good share of the boxed beef may wind up going to Mexico to fill Mexicos needs.

Tam said:
We just got home from the SSGA convention and a resolution was passed that if boxed beef exports are stopped to the US that the SSGA will support 100% testing for market access. But it was also mentioned in John Masswohl's talk that if boxed beef to the US was stopped that a good share of the boxed beef may wind up going to Mexico to fill Mexicos needs.

That's a start. Any word if CCA will also support testing if the US border is closed to boxed Canadian beef or are they expecting Mexico to save the day?

Mexico will be quite receptive to Canadian boxed product although at a discount to what is currently being recieved and would not replace a very large portion of what is currently moving into the US.

TimH said:
Quote- "By testing every animal for BSE, Canada would be able to gain access to those markets very easily," Haney said. "Canada would only need to capture less than a 10% share of each of those markets to accommodate a weekly slaughter kill of 98,000 head a week."

I suspect that at least part of the multi-million dollar expansion and upgrade projects, done by both Cargill and Tyson in Alberta over the last year and a half, included construction of additional on- site lab facilities to accomodate 100% BSE testing. If this is so, it will take very little time to go to 100% testing if R-Calf is successful. :) :)

Tim, Is there a way you could find out if testing labs were constructed in the expansions? I am totally curious to know for sure. I sincerely hope they have but am skeptical.

Mike

Mike- "Tim, Is there a way you could find out if testing labs were constructed in the expansions? I am totally curious to know for sure. I sincerely hope they have but am skeptical."

As I said,Mike, this is something that I suspect. I don't know if I could find out for sure or not. But think about it..... Cargill and Tyson may be a lot of things but stupid is not one of them. They have to know that ,given today's trade situation, borders can be closed tight and fast.
I can't see them spending tens of millions of dollars on expansion and upgrades, knowing full well that that increased capacity could be rendered worthless by a trade dispute. It would make good business sense to invest some of that money in an "insurance policy" such as 100% testing capability. I can't see them NOT doing it!
Maybe someone else ,out there, knows exactly what their upgrades included. I'm just not quite that "in the loop"!!! :D :wink: :wink:

Latest posts