• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Canadian Hereford Digest

Help Support Ranchers.net:

All the "Old folks" around here say Horned. And because of udder problems.....................Go figure............

I vote for POLLED! Less work less stress on me and on the cattle. There was a time when the horned were better cattle but not any more. That is why a lot horned breeders are going polled. People just don't like dehorning.

I

I was told the Jensen Brothers are developing a horned bull that throws polled calves.... will be interesting to see. personally, if you take horns of a Hereford bull,take his nuts too. He just look as MANLY with out those horns.

A long time successful cattleman that used Horned Hereford bulls always maintained, "you take the horns off, you take the brains out."
His Herefords always had horns.

When we had horned Herefords Mr. FH used dehorning paste on the calves at a day or two old. He only used FRANKLIN paste because he said it worked the best.

Pretty hard to beat a Horned Hereford bull. Only drawback is the horns on the offspring. I read where feedlot owners were interviewed and they unanimously agreed that the hardest thing on a calf in the feedlot was dehorning them. Much harder on them
than castrating them at that age.

Latest posts