• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Canadian Meat

Help Support Ranchers.net:

VB RANCH

Reaction score
http://www.cattlenetwork.com/news/industry/canadian-meat-inspection-system-questioned-usda-report?mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiWVRCa1kySm1aVEEyTVRZNCIsInQiOiI3elJnSHFVR3pybXZQN1ZhcStoemxuR2gzcUkyWHFYN0JOUW5cL3dvcm44c1RkQ090U1VvT3M3UEhLTU5GTVwvWngwT1crY0J4TjBFQmpnMVhWSFlaRmlNUG9ESDZnZVdEa1p3aVZ6QXROd3BFckk3blZIUGw4eExpMVVsb0dMY2VJIn0%3D

There's no reason we should import Canadian beef into the US of A. I can see importing Mexican beef because of the price difference. But any imported foods should need a COOL label, and not be processed with US beef.

highgrit said:
There's no reason we should import Canadian beef into the US of A. I can see importing Mexican beef because of the price difference. But any imported foods should need a COOL label, and not be processed with US beef.
You're okay with importing Mexican beef, but no Canadian beef? That doesn't even make sense. That mindset oughta go over real well on this site with as many proud Canadian ranchers as we have here.

Where has Connie been? I think we need to hear from her on this. LOL

m5farm said:
I'm concerned with all imported meat

Any imports disrupts a level playing field. They don't have the same regulations we have to adhere to. Sure they can claim adherence for a particular steer but what about his ancestral pedigree?

I know a few Canadians that I think of like family , they raise awesome stock. But im USA first, when imports are brought in and they are not distinguished from USA beef other than being cheaper it hurts the whole industry

Texan said:
highgrit said:
You're okay with importing Mexican beef, but no Canadian beef? That doesn't even make sense. That mindset oughta go over real well on this site with as many proud Canadian ranchers as we have here.

Canadian beef is as good as US of A beef for the most part. The US of A is putting the pressure on China, and Japan to buy our beef, so why should Canada ride along for free at a cost to US producers?

Wa Wa waaaaaa we have individual ID so countries are looking at our beef stand alone. But as far as trade goes lots of things go back and forth across this border that benefit us all. As standards of production and processing I will put Canada's up against the USA any day.
Did you figure the percentage of total pounds that rejected meat came to?
Any ever rejected in the US?

highgrit said:
Canadian beef is as good as US of A beef for the most part. The US of A is putting the pressure on China, and Japan to buy our beef, so why should Canada ride along for free at a cost to US producers?
Okay, I gotcha now. You're looking at it from the protectionist/trade standpoint instead of the food safety standpoint. You want trade with China and Japan, just not with Canada, right?

highgrit said:

I'm not sure how we'd be getting a free ride into the China market seeing as we already sell there. Perhaps it is the other way around?
Should Canada be charging US producers for this free ride?

Red Bull said:
You folks got such a good deal going up there. You likely don't need to trade with us anyway.

I expect we like to trade with you nearly as much as you like to trade with us. I think it is fair to say that our nations benefit greatly from our beef trading relationship. Some folks do seem not to realize it is a two way deal.

I would say that most of the trade between Canada and the US benefits both countries. I would much rather trade with Canada that South America or Mexico.

If the Different countries would just be honest and Quit trying to one up each other or quit making backroom deals things would be quite different.

This has been brought up so many times on this forum, I'm sorry it is being brought up again. There never is anything settled when
it is. Canada is our closest ally. We get most of our oil from Canada. It is a 2-way street. So hopefully we can move on.

My guess is that very few of us have much more than a slight clue as to how interwoven our cattle and beef production is between the USA, Canada, and even Mexico. It seems to be working quite well for all of us. Focus on improving inspections most likely is continuous. We do seem to forget that ranchers in Mexico have a very long history of selling yearling cattle to western USA ranchers who enjoyed that supply of low cost cattle compared with what 'eastern USA' calves would have cost them. AND those Mexico origin calves became profitable one or two year olds to sell into USA feedlots to finish, becoming very good beef! That worked well for many years, maybe still does, for all I know.

The feedlot and beef processing plants seem to have worked well with cross-border, CN and USA, serving needs of both sides making life easier for people and more efficient use of facilities processing cattle from both countries and using equivalent inspection rules.

It seems easy for some of us to forget that much of the US produced beef gets too fat getting to the high grades and we need some leaner beef to blend with that trim in order to cut waste and enhance leaner beef. It seems to be working quite well, and where improvements are needed, a fair guess is that those improvements will happen.

Finally, we as US citizens and cattle producers just may need all the friends we can get, given the world situation and the fact that we need customers for the great production of food so in excess of what the needs of our own people really are.

mrj

mrj said:
My guess is that very few of us have much more than a slight clue as to how interwoven our cattle and beef production is between the USA, Canada, and even Mexico. It seems to be working quite well for all of us. Focus on improving inspections most likely is continuous. We do seem to forget that ranchers in Mexico have a very long history of selling yearling cattle to western USA ranchers who enjoyed that supply of low cost cattle compared with what 'eastern USA' calves would have cost them. AND those Mexico origin calves became profitable one or two year olds to sell into USA feedlots to finish, becoming very good beef! That worked well for many years, maybe still does, for all I know.

The feedlot and beef processing plants seem to have worked well with cross-border, CN and USA, serving needs of both sides making life easier for people and more efficient use of facilities processing cattle from both countries and using equivalent inspection rules.

It seems easy for some of us to forget that much of the US produced beef gets too fat getting to the high grades and we need some leaner beef to blend with that trim in order to cut waste and enhance leaner beef. It seems to be working quite well, and where improvements are needed, a fair guess is that those improvements will happen.

Finally, we as US citizens and cattle producers just may need all the friends we can get, given the world situation and the fact that we need customers for the great production of food so in excess of what the needs of our own people really are.

mrj

I'm good with all that, but beef sold as a product of the US of A should be born in the US of A. Our beef checkoff program is supposed to create markets for US cattle producers, not north America.

http://www.globalmeatnews.com/Retail/US-consumers-favour-COOL-labelling?utm_source=copyright&utm_medium=OnSite&utm_campaign=copyright

9 out of 10 U.S. consumers want Country of Origin Labeling for meat.

Mike said:
http://www.globalmeatnews.com/Retail/US-consumers-favour-COOL-labelling?utm_source=copyright&utm_medium=OnSite&utm_campaign=copyright

9 out of 10 U.S. consumers want Country of Origin Labeling for meat.
That shouldn't be much of a problem for the majority of consumers. There are something around 150 (probably more, as it has been a few years since I saw that figure) different brands of USA produced beef. Those ranchers, or groups of ranchers, have gone to the effort and expense of creating their own label instead of asking the government to do it generically. CAB is just one of them. And not all so called "Angus Beef" has the same requirements as does CAB, so there still is some need for the "buyer to be wary" and check out the brands they find.

mrj

Latest posts