• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Canoe Trip on the Niobrara????

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Stretch

Reaction score
The Mrs has decided we need a vacation and has come up with this idea to go canoeing down the Niobrara. Have friends out near Sargent and so would like to meet up with them and spend a day floating down the river and maybe an additional day or two around Valentine. It sounds like a good idea, the big question is there seems to be several outfits that provide the canoeing supplies and such. I have to wonder who is the one to go with for a one day 2-4 adult and 3 kid trip? Any ideas would be a huge help.. Haven't been on a real vacation since the "Honeymoon" (11 yrs ago last friday) ..... :shock: :wink: Don't want to mess this chance up.... 8) Thanks

I don't think it really matters what outfitter you use...they are very close if not the same in price, and some offer meals, and most offer transportation. Personally I use the Graham Outfitters...they are great people. I think there's at least 12 outfitters up here. try this website..
http://www.heartcity.com/index.php?option=com_weblinks&catid=18&Itemid=37

You'll have a great time..just remember your sun screen...it's gets pretty hot on the river!

Jassy said:

You'll have a great time..just remember your sun screen...it's gets pretty hot on the river!

We had a great time canoeing the Niobrara east of Valentine last June, as an activity with a family reunion. My advice for proper wearing apparel is the same as I use every other day of the year--hat, long-sleeved shirt, and full length blue jeans. For foot-wear, I do trade my Wilson boots for tenny-boppers. The object is to stay dry and un-sunburned. :wink: :)

Good advice jazzy... I too would prolly reccomend Grahams... And let me add to take plenty of drinking water it can be pretty hot on the river with little or no wind....

I think canoeing is best when beer is drank, clothing is kept to a minimum, paddle waterfights are had, everyone is soaked, and a week long sunburn to remind you of how much fun it was. :D :D

Seriously, I think you'll have more fun with the kids than spending thousands of dollars going to some theme park and standing in line for hours to go on some smoke and mirrors ride. Have a great time!

Cal said:
I think canoeing is best when beer is drank, clothing is kept to a minimum, paddle waterfights are had, everyone is soaked, and a week long sunburn to remind you of how much fun it was. :D :D

Now that sounds like canoeing in Wisconsin,LOL, My girl friend ,oops, My Fiance,sp Goes on an all girls trip every summer and they sure have alot of fun.

A cousin of mine used to manage a ranch that the Niobrara ran through.

Sounds like a fun trip ,be safe

Kevin

Why in the world would you want to cover up head to toe and stay dry on a RIVER FLOAT TRIP??????

That defeats the whole purpose!!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Take some Super Soakers....they're great!!!

Heck, half the time we have floated anything we just do it in a tube and end up most of the time in the water anyways... Can say it happenned a lot that way as a kid when we canoed too.. Swimsuit, sandels and a smile...

kolanuraven said:
Why in the world would you want to cover up head to toe and stay dry on a RIVER FLOAT TRIP??????

Because I'm a conservative. :wink: :)

Soapweed said:
kolanuraven said:

Is that another name for "stick in the mud"? :wink:

Ol poop?

Party Pooper?

Stiff necked?

Want me to quit now?

Jinglebob said:
Soapweed said:
kolanuraven said:

Ol poop?

Party Pooper?

Stiff necked?

Want me to quit now?

Yup, but at least by wearing my hat I'm not a sunburned "redneck." :wink: :)

Wahoo, naked wine drinkin week!!! Oops did I say that out loud. Judith slowly backs away from the computer hoping that no one caught that one......

Judith said:
Wahoo, naked wine drinkin week!!! Oops did I say that out loud. Judith slowly backs away from the computer hoping that no one caught that one......

Tut, tut!

I am ashamed to think I have spoken with you! Oh my lands!

:wink:

Oh and Soap, by all means wear a hat while floating, but maybe not a good hat. :D

Jinglebob said:
Judith said:

Tut, tut!

Oh and Soap, by all means wear a hat while floating, but maybe not a good hat. :D

No wetter than I plan to get, I can wear a "good" hat if I want to. :wink:

Soapweed said:
Jinglebob said:
Judith said:

Tut, tut!

And if your canoe tips over?

Jinglebob said:
Soapweed said:
Jinglebob said:
Tut, tut!

And if your canoe tips over?

It never has yet. Of course, I'm pretty fussy who I get for a paddling partner. :)

If your canoe doesnt tip over, quite clearly you have chosen the WRONG paddling partner! Half of the fun of canoeing is dumping each other in the drink!

We had a really embarassing situation occur during naked wine drinking week....

The cabin is a fly in type, you would think that we could have happily froliced in the buff but NO!!!! Stacey (AKA angelina jolie, yes she really does look like her, gorgeous!!!) decided to go for a mid day skinny dip. Well of course I warned her about daylight nudeness, but no one listens to me anyhow. These poor conservatives (may have been Soapweed I don't know but there was a hat involved) were happily floating by. I do believe the canoeing family has been scarred for life. And my dear Stacey gets mocked every single time I see her, you would be amazed at just how many nekkid comments I can fit into a converation. And yes Mrs. Greg I can swim in flannel Jammies :)

Soapweed said:
Jinglebob said:
Soapweed said:

Ol poop?

Party Pooper?

Stiff necked?

Want me to quit now?

Yup, but at least by wearing my hat I'm not a sunburned "redneck." :wink: :)

Ok...guess this one's for me. FYI....Us " rednecks" as you so aptly put it keep a nice golden tan all year long, thus we hardly ' burn'.

It's you lily white, glow in the dark, types that get the ' red' necks when exposed to one of Natures greatest creations...THE SUN.

Well Judith, since you and Mrs Greg shrank from Beach Week....we could all meet mid-continent somewhere and have our selves the First Annual Naked Wine Drinkin' Week!!! Of course, we can't invite Soapweed, cause he burns! :wink: :wink:
[/b]

kolanuraven said:
Well Judith, since you and Mrs Greg shrank from Beach Week....we could all meet mid-continent somewhere and have our selves the First Annual Naked Wine Drinkin' Week!!! Of course, we can't invite Soapweed, cause he burns! :wink: :wink: [/b][/b][/b]

Hey! :shock: I live real close to the Center of the Nation.

And I have a wonderful spring fed little water hole that is secluded and offers privacy. Even has a nice beach.

Better just come here and have your NWDW.

Tho' a week might be a little long to put up with all of you, so how about just a couple days? :D

Shoot, I'll even provide the sun screen. :)

Jinglebob said:
kolanuraven said:
Well Judith, since you and Mrs Greg shrank from Beach Week....we could all meet mid-continent somewhere and have our selves the First Annual Naked Wine Drinkin' Week!!! Of course, we can't invite Soapweed, cause he burns! :wink: :wink: [/b][/b][/b]

Hey! :shock: I live real close to the Center of the Nation.

And I have a wonderful spring fed little water hole that is secluded and offers privacy. Even has a nice beach.

Better just come here and have your NWDW.

Tho' a week might be a little long to put up with all of you, so how about just a couple days? :D

Shoot, I'll even provide the sun screen. :)

Awww Jinglebob's offerin to let someone wear his hat :wink: (sunscreen)

Latest posts