• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Care Packages!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Sandhusker said:
cowsense said:
Sandhusker: Canada like the US had suspended EU trade before BSE as part of an escalating trade dispute......the last straw was the EU's use of the hormone issue as a nontariff trade barrier- an issue that is still unresolved :!:

I've been doing research trying to find what countries Canada imports from now and in the past and found something interesting; Canada shut out products from the UK in 1989 - but the EU wasn't formed until 1993. It appears you weren't taking anything from the UK way before the hormone issue came up.

Sandhusker do a little more research. The EU was the EEC for a long time just a name change. Don't you remember that from grade school?
In your research did you notice that all the articles say USA and Canada ban EU beef? We worked in harmony as a NA market. The reduction in beef from the UK had to do with pressure put on Canada from the US not to allow dumped meat from Ireland to come into the US from the back door thru Canada. Trading partners working together.

Keep looking.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Sandhusker said:
cowsense said:
Sandhusker: Canada like the US had suspended EU trade before BSE as part of an escalating trade dispute......the last straw was the EU's use of the hormone issue as a nontariff trade barrier- an issue that is still unresolved :!:

I've been doing research trying to find what countries Canada imports from now and in the past and found something interesting; Canada shut out products from the UK in 1989 - but the EU wasn't formed until 1993. It appears you weren't taking anything from the UK way before the hormone issue came up.

Sandhusker do a little more research. The EU was the EEC for a long time just a name change. Don't you remember that from grade school?
In your research did you notice that all the articles say USA and Canada ban EU beef? We worked in harmony as a NA market. The reduction in beef from the UK had to do with pressure put on Canada from the US not to allow dumped meat from Ireland to come into the US from the back door thru Canada. Trading partners working together.

Keep looking.

I was on the USDA website 10 minutes and found the list of banned countries. I spent over an hour on CFIA's and still have not found it.

It still looks to me that Canada shut out the UK long before the hormone deal bubbled over.

Doing a little research myself this morning and found something interesting. Seems Canada and other countries were asking for the same 'illusion' of safety that the Japanese want.

"By mid-1989, Australia, Israel, New Zealand, Sweden, and the United States had banned imports of live cattle from the UK, while Canada, Japan, Morocco, and South Africa introduced requirements that live cattle imports from the UK be certified as BSE-free. These trade restrictions caused a significant decline in UK live cattle exports."

So Sandhusker if the country was highly subsidizing their beef producers does it cause great hurt on the producers when they can't export. And what countries did we take large volumes from when the BSE regulations came into effect?

Big Muddy rancher said:
So Sandhusker did you give up looking and ready to admit your wrong? :cowboy:

I gave up looking because I found what I needed. Canada closed their border to the UK due to BSE, and not because of retaliation on hormone free requirements.

Now back to the original thread - do Canadian producers feel the same guilt towards UK producers as US producers are to feel towards Canadians?

Was the same hurt inflicted in their highly subsidized market ?

What was the level of imports before BSE compare to before the Irish anti dumping case?

You have proved nothing.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Was the same hurt inflicted in their highly subsidized market ?

What was the level of imports before BSE compare to before the Irish anti dumping case?

You have proved nothing.

Now your arguement is, "Yeah, but you hurt us more?" Come, on BMR.

Big Muddy rancher said:
So if we were as highly subsidized as the producers in the UK you would still be OK with NAFTA ? You would willingly accept our beef?

You're kind of going off on a tangent, aren't you, BMR? :wink:

I don't know what your question has to do with the topic, but I've never been "OK" with NAFTA.

Big Muddy rancher said:
So how many million pounds less did we take after the discovery of BSE? Or do we just take your word that you found the proof?

And we come again to "You hurt us more?" Is the person who stole $100 less guilty that the person who stole $200?

You don't have to take my word for anything. I found it, I'm sure you can too.

Big Muddy rancher said:
You made the allegation you show the proof. You wouldn't take SH's word that "oh i'm right I found the proof" would you?

BMR, I already did! I don't know what you want from me. Canada closed their borders to the UK in 1989. The EU was formed in 1993.
Therefore, your borders were closed at least 4 years prior to the EU making any policy. If you doubt me, I've been known to take bets. How much do you want to donate to R-CALF? :wink:

Do you know what EEC stands for? We were dealing with them for 40 years before they changed their name.

How much meat did we take or did we just say we wouldn't.

Latest posts