• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cargill and BIXS

Help Support Ranchers.net:

randiliana

Reaction score
http://www.country-guide.ca/daily/cargill-to-supply-alberta-carcass-data-to-bixs?utm_source=FBC%20Publications&utm_campaign=86b2424d2e-Country%20Guide%20daily%20enews%20west%20Feb%2020%2C%202016&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_2da8244677-86b2424d2e-88378761

So Cargill has stepped up to the plate and is now going to supply BIXS with their carcass records.

A quote taken from the BIXSco Inc FB page...
"BIXS is a platform for selling data through the supply chain to improve competitiveness, verify the quality of Canadian beef, and reflect the pride of the industry. Our expanded vision of BIXS is similar to a stock market by allowing buyers and sellers to exchange data for a price. So yes, once producers have registered and entered their data (at no charge) they will be able to purchase carcass data and also sell their management data to others. Both of these options should be available within the next year.

Collecting and sharing data helps verify the pride industry players take in their sustainable practices and commitment to providing the best quality beef anywhere in the world – this creates opportunities for improved management, access to greater and higher value markets and profitability all along the value chain.
"

Now this all sounds good to me, except for the fact that now I will have to buy my records. Not a problem as "this creates opportunities for improved management, access to greater and higher value markets and profitability all along the value chain."....Now, where have I heard that before....I would like to say that I've never bought into that spiel before....but I have.... mainly into vaccination protocols that would add dollars to our calves when they sold...or not.... Not to say that we don't vaccinate, we do, but I've given up on the idea that we'll see any added $$ for the cattle at sale time. But certainly it has improve the health of the cattle. But I digress...

The thing is, I can't see this helping out any but the large producers who have the numbers to directly market to the feedlots, or the people that are retaining ownership of their cattle through to slaughter. While I was quite interested in the carcass records as another tool to help improve our herd, at the end of the day I am selling pounds and I sell it at weaning time. I imagine that the buyers will consider this as much as they considered the fact that our calves are Express Verified, and pay accordingly, which is to say the same amount for our calves as for the next pen that had no info on them.

I guess we will wait and see what they are going to charge for this carcass info...

Latest posts