• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Catering help needed.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

hillsdown

Reaction score
Are there any caterers on here or anyone who has put on a large buffet before.

It is mom and dads 50th in a couple of weeks and we are doing the buffet ourselves.

How many pounds of potatoes do I need to make mashed potatoes for 80 people ?

How many litres of gravy do I need for said potatoes?

Help please,,thanks..

The ticket is to serve as many foods as possible that can be prepared ahead of time. I don't know if I'd do mashed potatoes, I'm not that ambitious. :D The more you can do ahead, the more fun you'll have at the party.

We just had 55 for an engagement party. This is the menu I used for this many people. It's the same menu we used to use for our annual Ag Society appreciation supper, and it's always proved to be a good meal with not much fancy work. Two in the kitchen could feed a hundred.

Beef. Of Course. - we used about a half pound per person.

Potato salad - four gallons. make the day before.

Coleslaw - two gallons - make the day before.

Buns - one and a half per person - buy them. :wink:

Pork and beans - My son calls these Ag Society beans. Fry up a pound of bacon and a large chopped onion. Add canned pork and beans, all varieties, however many cans you think you may need. Throw in a big handful of brown sugar and a big glob of ketchup, and fill up some slow cookers. I did the bacon and onions the day before, then just tossed the rest together the morning of party. When I made the beans this time, my son forgot to bring his slow cooker, so I had a panic attack. I ended up putting the beans all in a big soup pot and put it in the barbeque over indirect heat. They turned out awsome! They picked up the smokey flavour from the barbeque.

Taco salad - Cook up a couple of pounds of hamburger with taco seasoning the day before. Just before the party, put a couple of bags of mixed salad greens in a big bowl, crush a bag of Nacho Cheese corn chips over it, shred a pile of cheese on top and some sliced onions, then pour either Russian or Catalina dressing on it. Dump the meat mixture on top and toss it.

I also made a couple of pasta salads, but they're pretty simple. Just cooked pasta with store bought salad dressing, whatever flavour, and some onions, celery, and assorted whatevers in it. Day before.

Have a great time! And don't work too hard.

Kato your menu sounds just about like Tam's. :D

She likes to bake her own buns if she has time.

We did Britt's wedding supper here in the yard and fed about 70 people through the line in about 15 minutes.

I started the roasts early in my smoker for a couple of hours then moved it to the oven at about 225 until the internal temp was about 145. I then took the roasts that were wrapped in foil and wrapped them in a beach towel and stuck them in a foam cooler until meal time. about 3-4 hours later they were really good and finished cooking and rested while the ceremony took place.

Thanks everyone and Kato that sounds delicious same as your's BMR wish you two were closer I would put you to work. :wink:

I thought about potato salad but we are having prime rib and mom and dad wanted mashed potatoes with gravy . My first thought was to do those baby potatoes but after pricing them out I said no way.

The menu is prime rib roast, ham, cabbage rolls, potatoes with gravy, broccoli/cauliflower, baby carrots, vegetable platter,cole slaw ,pasta salad , baked beans, garden salad, ambrosia salad and another desert salad (don't know what it's called).

Midnight lunch is just a meat and cheese tray with pickles and buns.
It is a weekend thing so anything left over will be brought out for guests on Sunday for lunch.

There will be at least 3 of us preparing food and our ranch is 2 miles from the hall so I can always run back and forth and use my kitchen if need be. Also we are all bringing our RV's so the kitchens in them can be used if need be. The hall is really nice though, the kitchen is huge and has 2 ovens and a large cooler.

Then my dad asked me today if we are serving breakfast for everyone Sunday morning.. :???:

My aunt always said her and my uncle would help my sister and I put this on for them but sadly she died 2 years ago of cancer, she was a whiz at catering and an incredible chef too. I just hope we do her proud.

MMMmmm,sounds good....I'm close enuff,I could be your catering help....I'll clean up the leftovers...LOL

Hope your parents have a great day!!! :)

Mrs.Greg said:
MMMmmm,sounds good....I'm close enuff,I could be your catering help....I'll clean up the leftovers...LOL

Mrs. G I think you are north west from us? You and Mr. G could bring your RV as well and join in the fun. :)

I hope Mom and Dad have a good time too and really enjoy getting together and visiting with their dear friends and family (that they like) that they don't get to see very often anymore except when they see each other a funeral ,and that is a h@ll of a reason to visit with dear friends and family..It is nice to have something to actually celebrate..

hillsdown said:
Mrs.Greg said:

Mrs. G I think you are north west from us? You and Mr. G could bring your RV as well and join in the fun. :)

I hope Mom and Dad have a good time too and really enjoy getting together and visiting with their dear friends and family (that they like) that they don't get to see very often anymore except when they see each other a funeral ,and that is a h@ll of a reason to visit with dear friends and family..It is nice to have something to actually celebrate..
I'm not great at directions but I'm thinking we're North East of you,Enjoy the day! :D

That meal sounds delicious! I truly commend the cabbage roll commitment. :p Everyone around here would go through a brick wall for a good cabbage roll. Throw in a big pot of perogies, and you've got a little bit of heaven!

We were at a wedding a few years ago where the buffet meal included beef and perogies amongst other things. The city folk who came out were blown away that the beef was free choice, but the perogies were handed out. :D :D :D :D They had never seen such a thing. Boy did they have a good time.

You can have all the fancy city caterers you like, with all the pretty little plates of tiny stacked up food on them, but you will never find a meal like what you get at a country hall, made by real down home cooks. :D

Kato said:
That meal sounds delicious! I truly commend the cabbage roll commitment. :p Everyone around here would go through a brick wall for a good cabbage roll. Throw in a big pot of perogies, and you've got a little bit of heaven!

We were at a wedding a few years ago where the buffet meal included beef and perogies amongst other things. The city folk who came out were blown away that the beef was free choice, but the perogies were handed out. :D :D :D :D They had never seen such a thing. Boy did they have a good time.

You can have all the fancy city caterers you like, with all the pretty little plates of tiny stacked up food on them, but you will never find a meal like what you get at a country hall, made by real down home cooks. :D

Truer words were never spoken!! Lots of those fancy deals are all plate and no food. :? Makes ya feel like you got the royal treatment but you wonder why you are still hungry.

Kinda like the old K.T. Oslin song describes modern diet - "figs 'n twigs 'n fodder . . ." instead of her choice which includes "big ole eggs and butter, food you can feel . . ." :lol2:

So feed 'em up, Hillsdown, feed 'em up and I hope you have a great celebration because 50 years is truly something to celebrate! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Latest posts