• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cattle Chutes

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Any of you canadian guys ever use a somerville cattle handling system? Do you like them?

PPRM,

I tried the voice mail number for Greg Owens did not know his mail box number and when I tried to enter his name it said it could not find it. Any ideas? Thanks.

Tom,

Looks like he may not be totally et up as his extension wasn't on the web site.

Call 1-800-453-5318, ask for a customer service rep.. Tell them you want to get in contact with Greg to find a XL Chute assembled in your area. They will either give you his Cell # or take yours and have him contact you,

Good Luck

Les I've used a Somerville chute before out at Dylan Biggs-they kind of bridge the gap between a manual and a hydraulic chute and are made very strong-also are big enough. I used to play hockey with the Somerville boys about a century ago.

PPRM, which headgate do you suggest on the XL? The ones that TSC carry are manual. The value chute thay keep has an auto gate is it the same that would be put on the XL? I like the option of automatic if I had one that was hard to get to go in the gate and I was working one by myself. One thing about the manual is that it would not have to be adjusted for different animal sizes. Thanks again for the help. I left a message for the PR rep to get with me.

Tom,

I like a manual headgate because I can work a variety of cattle in it. I can buy a horned animal at a discount and still work them. This holds for any brand I look at for myself.

The Automatic headgate on the XL works functionally the same as on the Value, but is tons heavier. One advantade of the Auto is that it does make you chute longer as it attaches to the front and extends out. My guess is it adds about 10 inches to your chute length. It does add some cost though.
The headgate on the value chute is what really holds it back from handling big bulls,

Bet it's been kind of fun looking. I really enjoy what I have learned over time, there's a lot more to these chutes (all brands) than what first meets the eye and most all of them aren't your grandfather or fathers chute.

As a side, Shipton's in Billings and I think Sheridan, ia going to have a price that I hear will rock any price I have talked about on the Powder River Hydraulic,

Hey guys, just joined this forum tonight. I was looking for recommendations on manual squeeze chutes. We have no electicity at theses corrals so no hydraulics. Also we are about a mile from the ocean so rust is a major concern. Currently I use a 30 year old Powder River chute but the handle spring for the headgate just broke with no warning. I was lucky I had my hand on the very end of the handle because when the steer hit the headgate it caused the handle to fly up and hit me on the mouth. No teeth were lost but I saw stars for a few minutes. In addition the biggest bulls (2500lbs) don't fit.

So... I'm looking for an all manual squeeze that will fit a 2000lb bull but will adjust to fit calves. We run Angus so horns are no problem. Rust resistance is a big plus. Any ideas?

I really like the Stampede Steel stuff, they have some good ideas.

http://www.stampedesteel.com/aboutus.htm

There's a dealer in Merced, CA

The body of the chute has a parallel axis squeezing motion, it will squeeze down to 9" and up to 32"

Murgen,

What did you think of our Birch Creek chute? Works real well and we have put a pile of cattle through it already. And its $2700 CDN.

Thought it was a good chute, you're right about price, the Stampedes are a little more pricey, but with a few more bells and whistles, and a little heavier.

Does yours work well with the Longhorns?

I went to the site and I got a kick out of their front page. Picture of cowboys holding a critter with ropes and they are trying to sell squeeze chutes! :shock: :lol:

Maybe they did it to show the old way and they have a new way. Good loking chute, too.

2 dogs,

Newer Powder River Chtes are much larger and you can get them Hot-Dip Galvanized,

PPRM

Newer Powder River Chtes are much larger and you can get them Hot-Dip Galvanized

Just don't forget that part of every dollar that gets spent on these chutes, a portion, now goes to RCALF.

They are sponsors! :???:

Murgen said:
Thought it was a good chute, you're right about price, the Stampedes are a little more pricey, but with a few more bells and whistles, and a little heavier.

Does yours work well with the Longhorns?

Works real well with the longhorns, and the Brahmans hit it hard and it doesnt budge!!!!!

Murgen,

I called Powder River and talked with Cliff Dayton, the National Sales Manager for the Company. He stated that they have bought Booth spaces at a variety of shows from a variety of organizations, state and national in the past in an effort to get the information on the producs they make in front of ranchers. Occasionally, these organizations will ask for additional support and he did indeed give a couple hundred dollars to do so. They have done so for a variety of organizations in the past.He felt it was a gesture to give back to ranchers and they really have no interest in taking sides in these issues. They feel that it is best the cattlemen take this on themselves as they are the ones who should work out their on fate. Let me restate, this company has given as big, if not bigger donations to a variety of organizations in the past.

I am pretty damb tired of this whole thing and try to stay out of the R-calf vs NCBA deal myself. the rhetoric leaves me feeling sick, tired and like nothing is really getting accomplished. We spend too much time fighting each other.

But what gets my Ire up is that we start seeing companies pistol whipped for making any effort to help anyone. Why does this piss me off? Well, pretty soon these companies will hesitate to do anything for anybody because of things getting blown out of proportion and intent being thrown into actions. Ultimately, it will be our kids who suffer as guees what, they are generally the ones these companies donate to the most. In the end, this pistol whipping will make these companies gunshy about helping any of our organizations,

PPRM

PPRM said:
Murgen,

I called Powder River and talked with Cliff Dayton, the National Sales Manager for the Company. He stated that they have bought Booth spaces at a variety of shows from a variety of organizations, state and national in the past in an effort to get the information on the producs they make in front of ranchers. Occasionally, these organizations will ask for additional support and he did indeed give a couple hundred dollars to do so. They have done so for a variety of organizations in the past.He felt it was a gesture to give back to ranchers and they really have no interest in taking sides in these issues. They feel that it is best the cattlemen take this on themselves as they are the ones who should work out their on fate. Let me restate, this company has given as big, if not bigger donations to a variety of organizations in the past.

I am pretty damb tired of this whole thing and try to stay out of the R-calf vs NCBA deal myself. the rhetoric leaves me feeling sick, tired and like nothing is really getting accomplished. We spend too much time fighting each other.

But what gets my Ire up is that we start seeing companies pistol whipped for making any effort to help anyone. Why does this p*** me off? Well, pretty soon these companies will hesitate to do anything for anybody because of things getting blown out of proportion and intent being thrown into actions. Ultimately, it will be our kids who suffer as guees what, they are generally the ones these companies donate to the most. In the end, this pistol whipping will make these companies gunshy about helping any of our organizations,

PPRM

Well said!!! :clap:

But what gets my Ire up is that we start seeing companies pistol whipped for making any effort to help anyone. Why does this p*** me off? Well, pretty soon these companies will hesitate to do anything for anybody because of things getting blown out of proportion and intent being thrown into actions. Ultimately, it will be our kids who suffer as guees what, they are generally the ones these companies donate to the most. In the end, this pistol whipping will make these companies gunshy about helping any of our organizations,

Because of lost sales, due to a lack of spending by producers effected by a closed border, Companies in Canada have already decreased their budgets for sponsorship. Kids programs have been discontinued in Canada because the extra dollars are not there.

You want to talk about pistol whipping, take a look at the support that goes to a protectionist organization and then tell us about being pistol whipped!

Ask Cliff Dayton, how much his Canadian sales have dropped since May 20th, 2003. Ask him what he thinks the reason is? And then ask him if his $200 could have been better spent, than to support an org. that is fighting to continue to take Canadian sales away from him? Maybe now he has a better idea of who RCALF is and the damage they are doing to the US industry(including his sales)

I wonder how many in the US, phoned these companies and let them know that they are not happy with the support given? Those that realize the damage that RCALF is doing to the US producer & foreign sales of US manufactured goods as well.

Maybe go and ask how it makes the 200 people that just lost their employment at a independent packing plant what they think of the sponsorship of RCALF.

See to you it's $200, to us it's continued support for a group that has taken a whole lot of equity, income and livlihoods away from both Canadian and US families.

RCALF is using YOUR money against YOU!

AND THAT'S WHAT REALLY GETS MY "IRE" UP!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Murgen,

What really cost you your markets???? R-Calf or a positive BSE cow. As long as you focus on the By-product, you'll never get your markets back. But too many spend a ton of time on reactive potshots rather than proactive programs to get the market back. I say you are going for the small prize focusing on the US market. How come your energy isn't spent on getting your government to do what it takes to get the Japanese market???? They are asking for no less than what they do in their own country. the market is wide open and potentially much more lucrative. I say this as an observer who is supportive of the Canadians and really doen't fear the safety of your meat. It just seems like Canada has chose the "beating our heads against the wall" road, hen the more profitable road is the one that would be easier.

ARE YOU LISTENING. The real gold is in ASIA, The Fools Gold is in the USA,

As far as sales into Canada, pretty poor prior to the 2003 deal for any steel products, had more to do with other factors.

Anyway, I really have tried to stay out of the Bull Session and these debates. They are full of emotionally charged rhetoric and nobody wants to take a breath and say, why aren't we doing something else. Too many have chosen the hill they want to die on, Soo go ahead ya'all, stay the course, it's a nice hill, die on it,

PPRM

Latest posts