• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cattle Chutes

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Murgen,

What really cost you your markets???? R-Calf or a positive BSE cow. As long as you focus on the By-product, you'll never get your markets back. But too many spend a ton of time on reactive potshots rather than proactive programs to get the market back. I say you are going for the small prize focusing on the US market. How come your energy isn't spent on getting your government to do what it takes to get the Japanese market???? They are asking for no less than what they do in their own country. the market is wide open and potentially much more lucrative. I say this as an observer who is supportive of the Canadians and really doen't fear the safety of your meat. It just seems like Canada has chose the "beating our heads against the wall" road, hen the more profitable road is the one that would be easier.

ARE YOU LISTENING. The real gold is in ASIA, The Fools Gold is in the USA,

As far as sales into Canada, pretty poor prior to the 2003 deal for any steel products, had more to do with other factors.

Anyway, I really have tried to stay out of the Bull Session and these debates. They are full of emotionally charged rhetoric and nobody wants to take a breath and say, why aren't we doing something else. Too many have chosen the hill they want to die on, Soo go ahead ya'all, stay the course, it's a nice hill, die on it,

PPRM

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

We have a Moran chute that we have had for four years and we are extemely pleased with it. A three-year old can run the rear gate. It has a neck extender, auto headcatch (that REALLY works) and lots of other niceities. It is big, heavy, and well-made. No one else mentioned this brand, so thought I'd just throw it in the mix. They are made in Canada, right across the street from Stampede someone said.

We just returned from visiting old friends and they have a Stampede tub and alley and Thorsen chute and it works well. We were impressed with how easily the (Stampede) alley can be moved in and out for larger or small cattle. They say Thorsen chutes are still being made. My husband never liked the ropes used on Throsen, but they are sure stout chutes and everyone that has them seems to like them.

I have heard good things about Powder River; we've owned some older ones~just gotta stay out of the way of the levers.

And WW, that is what we had right before the Moran. WE HATED THE TAIL GATE. I'd say you were right on to wonder about it; we'd never have another WW.

PPRM said:
Tom,

You are going from a manual headgate to a squeeze, you ask what's bad about one. I wouldn't say there is anything bad, I really think some are better than others. A Preifert Chute would be a great improvement over what you have. There old models didn't have the Squeeze leverage, their newer models are better, but not as good as some other models out there.

I am not a fan of the headgate, but others Love it. Kinda can get into a Chevy, Dodge, Ford discussion. Lots of opinions, so thats why there's lots of brands. My deal on the headgate is I feel more times than not, the auotmatic doesn't work in ranch situations and you end up tripping it manually. But what the heck, cow is caught and you get her worked. I am also not a fan of Friction locks.

When I sell a chute, I really try to match it to the person. One question is how many cows do you have??? If not many, is cost a big concern, are you running cows or yearlings??? These questions answer if you need a commercial grade chute or can get by with less.

Whatever you do, I am glad to see you looking to upgrade. I too often sell people equipment after someone gets seriously hurt just getting by with something that kinda works. I have used a gate in the corner of a corral before. I was younger and lucky. I can get the job done with it, but it's only a matter of time before the job gets me done,

Good luck and whatever you get, hope it works well for you
Good advice, PPRM. Price and overhead is always a factor to consider - however, doing the job right and keeping healthy is more important. You have to do this same job again and again, and if you take a chance on a piece of equipment that is going to get you hurt (maybe permanently), you AND your family would be better off with something that will perform correctly and safely.

Plenty of great squeezes made by companies that don't support R-Calf-if you went through what we have because of them you can judge our actions.

Latest posts