• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

cell phones, which one is better?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
We are Verizon customers and we can update our phones if we wish.
We both had Motorola RAZOR's that we really liked when we
were Altell customers. I just received an email
from verizon about phones and I don't care of any of those.
They are free with a 2-yr contract.

Was wondering if there is a phone available that the keys aren't so
close together on the keypad. It seems they don't make them for guys,
anyway, the ones I have found.

Thanks for your reply.

Also, we can switch to AT&T, but not sure if they are the better service
company of the two. I haven't been crazy about Verizon, but at the time
of Altell being acquired by AT&T there weren't enough towers in our
area and the AT&T customers were having problems using their cell phones.
I think that has been corrected now, so does anyone have comment on
which is better? We only have three servers in our area: The local
phone co-op and it's not reliable when you are in other areas, or hasn't been;
then AT&T or Verizon.

Of course, there's always Magic Jack or the prepaid phones from Wal-Mart. :p

My wife and I have different phone companies. At our house she has verizon, but where I farm and have the cattle is mostly about 15 miles away verizon dosn't work at all. Pretty much every company has the same actual phone's now days, so whoever gives the best service is who I would go with. Verizon is very hard to deal with if you have a billing problem or want to change your plan though, I have found any way.

We just paid extra to get the razors again when we renewed. I could get a smart phone, but it would still have a dumb operator, so why bother? We are on Viaro, which contracts with ATT. It works best in rural areas where we live and travel.

I just updated to a Smart phone, or will when it comes in. You will have a WHOLE bunch better service, when you get your Verizon phones, then you have with the old Altell ones. You can roam off of US Cell with the Verizon phones. I have a Motorola Barrage, that they don't make any more, that gets great reception, and is water,dirt, and impact proof. I love the phone, but, they quit making it, and mine is getting where it won't hold a charge.
Lisa has basically the same thing in a Casio. Hers the mic is in a weird place, so you can't hold the phone with your shoulder and talk. The new version on hers is a pretty good phone, but it was $200, and the smart phone, with the rebate was $50.
I have been around a couple of AT&T customers, and in our world they have NO SERVICE.
My opinions and they aren't worth much.

Shortgrass said:
We just paid extra to get the razors again when we renewed. I could get a smart phone, but it would still have a dumb operator, so why bother? We are on Viaro, which contracts with ATT. It works best in rural areas where we live and travel.

Thanks for your reply, shortgrass.

How did you get the razors from Verizon? Just ask for it?
We don't need anything fancy, and Mr. FH likes the razors cuz they
were flatter than what we have now. Same here with the smart phone--
dumb operators--and I just don't feel like taking on learning something
new right now. :p

Mr. FH still has his razor, but I bet they won't let him use it. I loaned mine
to a AT&T friend who lost the temporary phone when they changed over
from Altell, until the new phones were available. And guess what? She turned
my perfectly good razor phone into AT&T when she got her new phone.
I was upset as I had pictures on it, but I still like her... :wink:
Everyone makes mistakes, I just couldn't believe she turned in my phone.
She said it was gonna cost her $150 to get another temporary one... :shock:

LazyWP said:
I just updated to a Smart phone, or will when it comes in. You will have a WHOLE bunch better service, when you get your Verizon phones, then you have with the old Altell ones. You can roam off of US Cell with the Verizon phones. I have a Motorola Barrage, that they don't make any more, that gets great reception, and is water,dirt, and impact proof. I love the phone, but, they quit making it, and mine is getting where it won't hold a charge.
Lisa has basically the same thing in a Casio. Hers the mic is in a weird place, so you can't hold the phone with your shoulder and talk. The new version on hers is a pretty good phone, but it was $200, and the smart phone, with the rebate was $50.
I have been around a couple of AT&T customers, and in our world they have NO SERVICE.
My opinions and they aren't worth much.

Thanks for your reply. I know those who have the Smart Phone really like
them, but i'm not sure I'm ready for all that technology yet. :? I will
look into it, though and thanks again. Appreciate the NO SERVICE
remark, cuz that's just what I thought at first. I had hoped it had gotten
better. Guess not--especially in the real rural areas.

Mr. FH has currently lost his and it must be down on batteries cuz we
can't get it to ring. He's not very crazy about it in the first place because
it is bulky. I think he'll really be glad to get the Razor back.

I know what you mean about the razr. Those would fit in your pocket perfectly. I have had a blackberry for about two years and am still learning how it works. I like the smartphone, but I only use about 10 percent of what it does.

If available I recommend the G'zOne - - - an upgrade from the razor made by Motorola - - - water, dust and shock resistant.

I have had this one 3 years now - - - still have my old razor for a backup, the camera on the G'zOne does not have a zoom and it is slightly bigger than the razor but barely bigger.

All the pictures I post on here are from it and I feel are acceptable but I sure wish it had a zoom.

The flashlight feature on the G'zOne has come in handy several times and it is suprising how bright it is and the battery does not seem to notice a 5 or 10 minute use.

This phone is 3 years old and gets a lot of minutes on it as I use it as the main line for Greensboro Sand & Gravel and I have only had to use a car charger about 2 or 3 times. I do charge both it and the bluetooth every night.

I am on Verizon as that is the only reliable service here. AT&T has several drop zones within 10 miles of me and does not work down in the gravel pit. But on the east side of the county Verizon has several drop zones.

Smart phones aren't hard to figure out for the basic stuff, and the other stuff you can pick up over time. I have a Blackberry Torch and it's a pretty handy gadget, especially for work. I can take a pic of something I've done and email or text it away on the spot. Best part about the BB is that it's bullet proof. Doesn't have the cool apps the iphone does, but the iphone is pretty delicate. My next phone might be the Samsug Galaxy though, we'll see.
Have no advice on which provider to suggest for you down there though. Up here Bell is the best most places.

apps are overated. email is pretty nice also i use the interet on mine to monitor our irrigation pivots

Verizon makes it hard to purchase a plain phone. So it will probably cost more for a good plain phone than it will to upgrade to a smart phone. They will get everyone on a smart phone before it's done.

If you want a plain phone it is best to go to a reseller or ebay, then you don't have to sign a new contract either.

Larrry said:
Verizon makes it hard to purchase a plain phone. So it will probably cost more for a good plain phone than it will to upgrade to a smart phone. They will get everyone on a smart phone before it's done.

If you want a plain phone it is best to go to a reseller or ebay, then you don't have to sign a new contract either.

We have a razr now, but will Verizon let us use it since it was originally
from our local telephone co-op? I know they wouldn't allow us to use
the razr phones that came from Alltel.

Guess I better get on the phone to Verizon and see what's what.
Thanks everyone!!

US Cellular seems to have the best coverage around here and I now have the motorola quantico that has held up well so far.I was accused of getting my last phone wet and I told them the only way would be from having it in my sweatty pocket on a hot summer day.

Faster horses said:
Larrry said:

We have a razr now, but will Verizon let us use it since it was originally
from our local telephone co-op? I know they wouldn't allow us to use
the razr phones that came from Alltel.

Guess I better get on the phone to Verizon and see what's what.
Thanks everyone!!

Go on line to check out what Verizon has to offer. Lots of times they won't tell you on the phone, or even in person what is available. We have a licensed agent in Valentine that is finally helpful. For quite a few years, I swore he was out to get me, but here the last couple years, he has gone to bat for me. Sometimes you can get a refurbished phone in the model you want, and most of the time it has warranty. Just ideas.

Verizon works best where I roam, I use them and the Motorola Bionic, not cheap but when you are working in remote locations by yourself that phone could be your life line.......................good luck

Another must in my area is a Wilson booster. You can get one that will broadcast inside your vehicle, or a hard mount version. The difference in reception is amazing and worth the price if service is borderline to poor in your area.

Larrry said:

Will they activate a phone from a reseller or one we already have?
I hate doing business with someone that won't talk to me and tell
me what I want to know. When we switched to Verizon the guy I talked
to, talked in circles. I had no idea what we were getting til they arrived.
They sure aren't as easy to use as the razr.

Thanks. I'm getting more and more confused trying to use their website...

I think the best way to do it is shop around for a verizon store that is customer friendly. I've see a wide array of service.

I think there won't be a problem activating another verizon from a reseller. I think they have like a 6 month waiting time if the phone was one of those cheapy prepaid verizons from Walmart or such. I have gotten numerous phones from ebay and have never had a problem getting it activated.

Larrry said:
I think the best way to do it is shop around for a verizon store that is customer friendly. I've see a wide array of service.

I think there won't be a problem activating another verizon from a reseller. I think they have like a 6 month waiting time if the phone was one of those cheapy prepaid verizons from Walmart or such. I have gotten numerous phones from ebay and have never had a problem getting it activated.

I think I would be wise to take your advice. What Verizon sent us was
LG Allocades. I don't know that they were necessarily cheap cuz they
work well, it's just that the razr was better. One thing about the Allocade,
the batteries seem to last a long time. The problem with our old razr's
is that they weren't Verizon phones originally, they were Alltel. Verizon
said they couldn't activate them. :???: :?

Faster horses said:
Larrry said:

I think I would be wise to take your advice. What Verizon sent us was
LG Allocades. I don't know that they were necessarily cheap cuz they
work well, it's just that the razr was better. One thing about the Allocade,
the batteries seem to last a long time. The problem with our old razr's
is that they weren't Verizon phones originally, they were Alltel. Verizon
said they couldn't activate them. :???: :?

The verizon tech needs to update the provider information in the phone. I use US cellar and have yet to see a phone come thru that is program for them when new. If I remember correctly it is about a 5 minute procedure. The US cellar plan that the family has is nation wide coverage in the lower 48 states with no roaming charges. If there is a cell tower the cell phones will use it regardless of who is the tower operator.

Latest posts