• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Checkoff question

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I guess none of the checkoff people want to state the obvious - they are promoting US product exclusively via the logo because they see value in that. I wonder if it is just coincidence that the big packers sell US beef there and there is a US logo in the checkoff ads - and they sell mystery meat here and are fighting COOL and the checkoff doesn't see the same value in promoting US beef here. :shock:

Sandhusker, what US beef do you have to promote? You are 10% negative when it comes to consumption over production? Want to go it on your own? Then tell the whole truth.

It goes something like this, " we import 10%, so we can export 20% of our production. We ship you the great stuff, while we as US citizens eat the after market crap, or whatever those other countries end up sending us, your country included!"

Careful, Murgen, it appears you are saying we only import crap. :wink:

I'm saying if advertising US product works over there, why are they fighting it over here? See the problem? They're saying "Buy US Beef" there, but over here we're told "a rising tide lifts all boats". Pretty inconsistant.

I would say there are different markets within a market. Gain value when you can, and be thankful you can meet different markets by substituting different levels of quality.

Sandhusker said:
Careful, Murgen, it appears you are saying we only import crap. :wink:

I'm saying if advertising US product works over there, why are they fighting it over here? See the problem? They're saying "Buy US Beef" there, but over here we're told "a rising tide lifts all boats". Pretty inconsistant.

Sandhusker, are you so conspiracy driven that you cannot understand or admit that advertising ALL beef sold in the USA because the owners/producers of all that beef pay into that program (the Beef Checkoff)? It would be unfair to discriminate against the importers by advertising only US produced beef, when they pay into the checkoff at the same rate as you or I do.

MRJ

It's not a conspiracy driven deal, MRJ. I have the common business sense to know that you don't promote your competitor's product.

You still haven't answered why the checkoff sees value in promoting US beef abroad, but not at home.

Sandhusker said:
It's not a conspiracy driven deal, MRJ. I have the common business sense to know that you don't promote your competitor's product.

You still haven't answered why the checkoff sees value in promoting US beef abroad, but not at home.

Sandhusker, why am I surprised to notice that you have changed your question?

Originally, you asked "Why do the checkoff funded ads in foreign countries have a red, white & blue United States logo on them, but that logo is omitted on domestic ads?"

Somewhere along the line, I think I asked you if it was a US Meat Export Federation ad, or something else? You didn't answer.

I'm sorry, but being no mind reader, I can't tell you why the ranchers directing the checkoff work advertising beef sold abroad "sees value in promoting US beef abroad". A good guess would be to differentiate it from beef being sold by other countries, or the domestic beef in whatever country the ads are shown.

We know that "at home" the importers have to pay into the checkoff just like you and I do, so it would not be legal to use their contributions against them.

MORE IMPORTANTLY, the true competition for US beef in the USA is NOT imported beef, but IS lower cost poultry, pork and other proteins. The FACT is that much of the imported lean beef actually ADDS VALUE to our domestic fatty trim beef!

I don't need the ability to read minds to know the cattle producers who are well enough informed to serve on the CBB and Federation of State Beef Councils division of NCBA and on the state Beef Councils, and who are making the decisions as to how to spend our checkoff dollars DO KNOW what/who is the REAL COMPETITION for our beef!

If you are truly concerned, why don't you contact Monte Reese and ask him point blank? It is as easy as emailing him. [email protected] is the address. His phone number is 1-303-220-9890.

MRJ

MRJ, "Somewhere along the line, I think I asked you if it was a US Meat Export Federation ad, or something else? You didn't answer. "

Actually, I did answer. My reply, "It was page 14 of the 2004 Beef Board annual report. They are showing an ad used in Japan. Actually there are two logos - the US and a cartoon cow."

Sandhusker said:
MRJ, "Somewhere along the line, I think I asked you if it was a US Meat Export Federation ad, or something else? You didn't answer. "

Actually, I did answer. My reply, "It was page 14 of the 2004 Beef Board annual report. They are showing an ad used in Japan. Actually there are two logos - the US and a cartoon cow."

Actually, I said I could not access that photo. It sounds to me like the USMEF ad, not a Beef Checkoff ad, though I could be mistaken about that. The difference is that USMEF is a different outfit than the Checkoff. They get government, industry, and checkoff money from various commodities. They do use the Beef Checkoff logo on beef ads which may be funded by a combination of beef checkoff and various feed grain checkoff moneys. It is too confusing, and takes too much space to use all those logo's, so those commodities involved agreed to use only the beef checkoff logo in that situation.

Have you asked Monte Reese to answer your questions yet?

Just guessing, but it seems to me that in Japan, beef from OTHER COUNTRIES is also on the market, as well as beef from the USA, therefore, we would need to advertise ours if we want it to sell, wouldn't we?

In this country, there is a small percentage of imported beef sold.

Importers of that beef pay into our beef checkoff.

A large amount of that imported beef actually makes our domestic fatty beef trim worth more money!

THE TRUE COMPETITION FOR OUR USA PRODUCED BEEF IS CHEAPER PROTEINS SUCH AS POULTRY, PORK, AND OTHER PROTEIN SOURCES........IMPORTED BEEF IS NOT COMPETING WITH USA BEEF IN THIS COUNTRY!

MRJ

MRJ, "Just guessing, but it seems to me that in Japan, beef from OTHER COUNTRIES is also on the market, as well as beef from the USA, therefore, we would need to advertise ours if we want it to sell, wouldn't we?"

EXACTLY! Why isn't that common sense followed over here?

MRJ, "In this country, there is a small percentage of imported beef sold."

Don't fall asleep thinking that. Brazil wants to feed this country + Our big packers are already positioning themselves to be able to facilitate the movement + Our government has sold it's soul for "free" trade = we had better prepare for a lot of competition for our consumer's beef dollars. I think one way to prepare is to get US consumers in the habit of demanding US beef and providing the way for them to get what they want.

Sandhusker said:
MRJ, "Just guessing, but it seems to me that in Japan, beef from OTHER COUNTRIES is also on the market, as well as beef from the USA, therefore, we would need to advertise ours if we want it to sell, wouldn't we?"

EXACTLY! Why isn't that common sense followed over here?

MRJ, "In this country, there is a small percentage of imported beef sold."

Don't fall asleep thinking that. Brazil wants to feed this country + Our big packers are already positioning themselves to be able to facilitate the movement + Our government has sold it's soul for "free" trade = we had better prepare for a lot of competition for our consumer's beef dollars. I think one way to prepare is to get US consumers in the habit of demanding US beef and providing the way for them to get what they want.

And I believe that we USA cattle producers would do very well to focus on the competition AS IT CURRENTLY EXISTS, which is poultry, pork, and other proteins. Certainly, checkoff leaders and any forward focused cattlemen are watching Brazil and all other countries' production and are prepared to deal with that when the time comes. Free Trade is still a net benefit to US Agriculture, according to many experts......though doubtless, you have your own "experts" who disagree. Isolationism in the modern world is not going to succeed, IMO.

BTW, are you going to tell me whether that was a USMEF ad, or not? As stated previously, I cannot access it. Can't afford a new computer to help with the problem, so guess until you are willing to share your info, I'm in the dark about it and can't possibly give you a definite answer about that ad.

MRJ

You say the checkoff leaders are prepared to deal with Brazil when the time comes, I'd like to know what they have done? I've got a hunch you're paying me lip service and the checkoff leaders don't have a plan. What will the plan be when Brazil has an open door to our markets? That will be huge, and a problem of that magnitude calls for action now, not when it happens.

I'd also think the words "Isolationism" and "Isolationist" get thrown around quite liberally. Why is promoting one's own product isolationist?

I don't know if it was a USMEF ad or not. I don't see "USMEF" anywhere on the ad. However, the ad was in the annual report of the beef board, so that should tell one something.

Sandhusker said:
You say the checkoff leaders are prepared to deal with Brazil when the time comes, I'd like to know what they have done? I've got a hunch you're paying me lip service and the checkoff leaders don't have a plan. What will the plan be when Brazil has an open door to our markets? That will be huge, and a problem of that magnitude calls for action now, not when it happens.

{I'm simply telling you that I have heard the successful cattle producer members of the many beef organizations nationwide, who are leaders in the Beef Checkoff, and the cattle producer members of NCBA Dues/Polich division and it's state affiliates, who are leaders in the cattle industry of this nation, discuss concerns about cattle produced in ALL countries. That includes the USA, and how that relates to a healthy cattle business for producers in the USA. I don't know that there is any formal "plan" specific to Brazil, but without doubt, anything that threatens the cattle business in the USA most definitely IS on their/our radar screen. Why are you so certain Brazil or any other nation ever will have "an open door" to our markets? There are limits to importation of beef and cattle. MRJ}

I'd also think the words "Isolationism" and "Isolationist" get thrown around quite liberally. Why is promoting one's own product isolationist?

{I've certainly NEVER said "promoting ones' own product is isolationism". Demanding artificial market barriers ("food safety" when virtually the same BSE safegaurds are in place both in the USA and Canada, for instance) is isolationist. MRJ}

I don't know if it was a USMEF ad or not. I don't see "USMEF" anywhere on the ad. However, the ad was in the annual report of the beef board, so that should tell one something.

{Nor do I know if it was a USMEF ad or not, Sandhusker, however, USMEF receives some Beef Checkoff funding.....thus has the right and the obligation to acknowledge that source of funding. Using that logo in advertising US beef abroad could demonstrate that funding source. Therefore, the Annual Report of the CBB is obligated to carry that information back to the producer! Simple...... and no conspiracy there! MRJ}

Latest posts