• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cheny's new heart

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cowman52

Reaction score
Any takers on Who? Or how fast the pi**ing and moaning starts as to "he got preferred treatment" or who died so he got one or a working guy missed out".
My bet is Mathews or Schultz, and Scarborough by 6 Monday morning.
Any takers?? :???: :???:

After five Heart attacks and twenty months on the waiting list I would have to think he didn't get "preferred treatment" But you are right the Left bias media will make it sound that way. :roll:

Cheney too old for transplant? Bioethicist weighs in

By Art Caplan, Ph.D.

Dick Cheney has just joined a list of high-profile people, including Steve Jobs, Mickey Mantle, Evil Knievel and David Crosby who, received a transplant and thereby created a controversy. Cheney received a heart on Saturay from an anonymous donor at Inova Fairfax Hospital in Virginia after a 20-month wait. What is controversial about that? Cheney is 71 years old.

He has been through numerous previous operations that indicate he has other serious medical problems. He has only been able to survive due to the implantation of a left-ventricular assist device (LVAD) — a partial artificial heart -- that has kept him going long past the point where his own heart could have kept him alive.

Nearly everyone on an LVAD winds up getting sicker and sicker and, eventually, so sick that they come off the transplant waiting list because the risk is too great.

What starts as a "bridge" to a transplant when you get an LVAD can become, the more time that passes, a final destination — you almost always die with the device. So despite his age and health problems, how was Cheney able to get a heart while many others wait?

It is concerning that a 71-year-old got a transplant. Many of those who manage to even make the waiting list for hearts die without getting one. More than 3,100 Americans are currently on the national waiting list for a heart transplant. Just over 2,300 heart transplants were performed last year, according to the United Network for Organ Sharing. And 330 people died while waiting.

According to UNOS, 332 people over age 65 received a heart transplant last year. The majority of transplants occur in 50- to 64-year-olds.

Most transplant teams, knowing that hearts are in huge demand, set an informal eligibility limit of 70.

Cheney is not the first person over 70 to get a heart transplant. He is, however, in a small group of people who have gotten one. Why did he?

Cheney has an advantage over others. It is not fame or his political prominence. It is money and top health insurance.

Heart transplants produce bills in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. The drugs needed to keep these transplants working cost tens of thousands of dollars every year. Organ donations are sought from the rich and poor alike. But, if you do not have health insurance you are far less likely to be able to get evaluated for a heart transplant much less actually get a transplant.

The timing of Cheney's transplant is ethically ironic given that the battle over extending health insurance to all Americans reaches the Supreme Court this week.

If the President's health reform bill is deemed unconstitutional, those who are wealthy or who can easily raise money will continue to have greater access to heart, liver and other forms of transplantation than the uninsured and underinsured.

It is possible that Cheney was the only person waiting for a heart who was a good match in terms of the donor's size, blood type and other biological and geographical factors. If not, then some tough ethical questions need to be asked.

When all are asked to be organ donors, both rich and poor, shouldn't each one of us have a fair shot at getting a heart? And in a system in which donor hearts are very scarce, shouldn't the young, who are more likely to benefit both in terms of survival and years of life added, take precedence over the old?

Let's hope we get some answers to these tough questions as we watch both Cheney's recovery and the fate of health care legislation that is intended to minimize the advantages that the rich now have over the poor when it comes to proven life-saving treatments.

Msnbc.com news services contributed to this report.

Did Liberal Bias MSNBC just tossing "Grandpa" Cheney over the health care cliff because of his age? :shock: I thought it was Republicans that wanted people to die and die quickly and were pushing Grandma over the cliff? :?

What makes me think this is not the last time they will think a patient should be over looked for healthcare if Obamacare is enacted. :? Organ transplants now but just wait Cancer treatment, hip replacement, and any other expensive treatment an elderly person needs will be ETHICALLY QUESTIONED by the Left. Age plus expense plus benefit equals rationing of care to the elderly, JUST WAIT AND SEE.

by slashing medicare by $500 billion Obama and the liberal democrats were clear in their intentions to take from those who have worked and give to those who may never work.. .

to most fair minded adults taking $500 billion to fund heath care and $360 billion to reduce the deficit is just some sort of sick twisted redistribution scheme that doesn't value the elderly as much more then a burden...

beethoven said:
All this heart talk has me a lil bit confused, as I didn't think he ever had a heart.

Be careful there getting confused. Being confused you could be taken for an everday liberal.

beethoven said:
All this heart talk has me a lil bit confused, as I didn't think he ever had a heart.

"Thinking" must be completely out of your realm..................... :roll:

When my MIL got a lung transpant at the time she was the oldest and at the higest elevation to get one.... she got to spent almost 10 years with her husband and help raise her grand kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Faster horses said:
Cheney has a heart. He :heart: 's America and has given basically
his whole heart to it.

Good lord....get a room!!

Not too old for a school girl crush I see!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

:roll: :roll:

jingo2 said:
Faster horses said:
his whole heart to it.

Good Lord..... Get a Brain :roll:

Tam said:
jingo2 said:
Faster horses said:
his whole heart to it.

Good Lord..... Get a Brain :roll:

If kolo=jingo=lulu=allie got a brain she would fail to know how to use it, she would still think that her cuzzens don't know she stuffs her bra when they come to visit :D :D

Latest posts