• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Children are the little victims of Obamacare

Help Support Ranchers.net:

okfarmer

Reaction score
I searched half heartedly a while back for a different insurance plan for my child as I was told repeatedly I was paying too much, just asked blue cross and blue shield and they said they don't offer child only- strange, I thought they did. I intended to look further, but I forgot about it for a while. Got back to investigating it again tonight. Guess what?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/01/us/01ttinsurance.html

Child-Only Insurance Vanishes, a Health Act Victim
By EMILY RAMSHAW
Only months from their 65th birthdays and the switch from employer-offered health coverage to Medicare, Phillip and Diann Green of Forney realized they had a problem. After retirement, none of the state's insurance companies will cover their 12-year-old granddaughter, Aria, whom they have raised since her infancy.

Insurers in Texas and across the nation — protesting a provision of the 2010 federal health care overhaul that prohibits pre-existing condition limitations for children under 19, have simply stopped offering new child-only policies. For children being raised by their grandparents, who are not poor enough to qualify for Medicaid and have no employer-offered insurance or family plans to cover them, there are few options.

No agency keeps track of how many children in Texas are affected by the elimination of child-only plans, but experts suggest it is in the thousands.

http://americaninsuranceplus.com/insurance/health/children.htm

Are you looking for child only health insurance? The insurance companies we represent plus many other insurance companies are no longer accepting child only applications for health insurance. Humana, Cigna, and Aetna are only accepting applications with a parent on the application. For instant quotes for yourself and your child simply click "Get Quotes" below or call to speak to an agent.

Many of these kids are now covered under the CHIPS program- depending on how they are administered by the individual states.....

Try again, depends on how much their parents make. And Chips is how many options to chose from?

From the first article on further down....

The Greens' income level means Aria, who has no pre-existing conditions, does not qualify for the joint state-federal Children's Health Insurance Program, or CHIP. Nor can she apply for a high-risk pool, which experts say requires that a child have a pre-existing condition and receive a formal denial from a private insurance company. (When no plans are offered, insurers do not have to issue denials.)

For now, Aria — who is currently insured through Mrs. Green's employer, Wal-Mart — only has one option, Mr. Green said: a Cobra plan that costs nearly $550 a month and lasts for only a year and a half.

okfarmer said:

The Greens' income level means Aria, who has no pre-existing conditions, does not qualify for the joint state-federal Children's Health Insurance Program, or CHIP. Nor can she apply for a high-risk pool, which experts say requires that a child have a pre-existing condition and receive a formal denial from a private insurance company. (When no plans are offered, insurers do not have to issue denials.)

For now, Aria — who is currently insured through Mrs. Green's employer, Wal-Mart — only has one option, Mr. Green said: a Cobra plan that costs nearly $550 a month and lasts for only a year and a half.

This may have been the reason many were backing a "public plan" as another option for the many folks that run into the games health insurance companies have been playing for years with the publics health, incomes, and livelihoods...

My own insurance went up over 40% after Obama Care passed. So the plan was for me to pay for someone else that isn't paying their own. Good plan.

Kid only rates used to be ~ $100 per month. Now I pay ~ $350 for each child- good plan!

Oldtimer said:
okfarmer said:

This may have been the reason many were backing a "public plan" as another option for the many folks that run into the games health insurance companies have been playing for years with the publics health, incomes, and livelihoods...

I know in Montana- there are some exemptions and waivers that are available on the income issue- as they are really trying to make sure every child has coverage....But much of that is left to the individual states...

FGS Oldtimer just admit that the DEMS KNEW what they were doing. :roll: They were betting on insurance companies raising premiums to cover the demands in Obamacare to the point nobody could afford them and Businesses to start dropping their employee healthcare beneifits due to the increase premiums. As long as people/businesses can find reasonable priced healthcare coverage, the Dems grand plan for a single payer system will never happen. They have to OVERLOAD the system with regulations to bankrupt those pesty insurance companies that are standing in their way. Once they are out of the way the voters will have not option but to support the Dems new over promised under funded entitlement program.

I just hope the Supreme Court finds Obamacare Unconstitutional and tosses the whole thing in the garbage. The US needs to reform their healthcare system but the Dems plan is a set up for their true bankrupting master plan, SINGLE PAYER

Oldtimer said:
Many of these kids are now covered under the CHIPS program- depending on how they are administered by the individual states.....

And the CHIPS program is crap. Here it covers only outpatient services. The State says the Fed only gives them half enough to do that, yet mandate CHIPS.

We CANNOT rely on the gov't to save us from everything like the liberals do.

It's time for the gov't get out of the Health care business and let the system work.

Latest posts