• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cindy Sheehan has "moral authority" ?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Cal

Reaction score
CINDY SHEEHAN: COMMANDER IN GRIEF
by Ann Coulter
August 17, 2005

To expiate the pain of losing her firstborn son in the Iraq war, Cindy Sheehan decided to cheer herself up by engaging in Stalinist agitprop outside President Bush's Crawford ranch. It's the strangest method of grieving I've seen since Paul Wellstone's funeral. Someone needs to teach these liberals how to mourn.

Call me old-fashioned, but a grief-stricken war mother shouldn't have her own full-time PR flack. After your third profile on "Entertainment Tonight," you're no longer a grieving mom; you're a C-list celebrity trolling for a book deal or a reality show.

We're sorry about Ms. Sheehan's son, but the entire nation was attacked on 9/11. This isn't about her personal loss. America has been under relentless attack from Islamic terrorists for 20 years, culminating in a devastating attack on U.S. soil on 9/11. It's not going to stop unless we fight back, annihilate Muslim fanatics, destroy their bases, eliminate their sponsors and end all their hope. A lot more mothers will be grieving if our military policy is: No one gets hurt!

Fortunately, the Constitution vests authority to make foreign policy with the president of the United States, not with this week's sad story. But liberals think that since they have been able to produce a grieving mother, the commander in chief should step aside and let Cindy Sheehan make foreign policy for the nation. As Maureen Dowd said, it's "inhumane" for Bush not "to understand that the moral authority of parents who bury children killed in Iraq is absolute."

I'm not sure what "moral authority" is supposed to mean in that sentence, but if it has anything to do with Cindy Sheehan dictating America's foreign policy, then no, it is not "absolute." It's not even conditional, provisional, fleeting, theoretical or ephemeral.

The logical, intellectual and ethical shortcomings of such a statement are staggering. If one dead son means no one can win an argument with you, how about two dead sons? What if the person arguing with you is a mother who also lost a son in Iraq and she's pro-war? Do we decide the winner with a coin toss? Or do we see if there's a woman out there who lost two children in Iraq and see what she thinks about the war?

Dowd's "absolute" moral authority column demonstrates, once again, what can happen when liberals start tossing around terms they don't understand like "absolute" and "moral." It seems that the inspiration for Dowd's column was also absolute. On the rocks.

Liberals demand that we listen with rapt attention to Sheehan, but she has nothing new to say about the war. At least nothing we haven't heard from Michael Moore since approximately 11 a.m., Sept. 11, 2001. It's a neocon war; we're fighting for Israel; it's a war for oil; Bush lied, kids died; there is no connection between Saddam Hussein and al-Qaida. Turn on MSNBC's "Hardball" and you can hear it right now. At this point, Cindy Sheehan is like a touring company of Air America radio: Same old script and it's not even the original cast.

These arguments didn't persuade Hillary Clinton or John McCain to vote against the war. They didn't persuade Democratic primary voters, who unceremoniously dumped anti-war candidate Howard Dean in favor of John Kerry, who voted for the war before he voted against it. They certainly didn't persuade a majority of American voters who re-upped George Bush's tenure as the nation's commander in chief last November.

But now liberals demand that we listen to the same old arguments all over again, not because Sheehan has any new insights, but because she has the ability to repel dissent by citing her grief.

On the bright side, Sheehan shows us what Democrats would say if they thought they were immunized from disagreement. Sheehan has called President Bush "that filth-spewer and warmonger." She says "America has been killing people on this continent since it was started" and "the killing has gone on unabated for over 200 years." She calls the U.S. government a "morally repugnant system" and says, "This country is not worth dying for." I have a feeling every time this gal opens her trap, Michael Moore gets a residuals check.

Evidently, however, there are some things worth killing for. Sheehan recently said she only seemed calm "because if I started hitting something, I wouldn't stop 'til it was dead." It's a wonder Bush won't meet with her.

COPYRIGHT 2005 ANN COULTER

DISTRIBUTED BY UNIVERSAL PRESS SYNDICATE

4520 Main Street, Kansas City, MO 64111

I couldn't agree more. I saw Cindy Sheehan on T.V. and was pretty disgusted. She's a publicity hound if I've ever seen one, and it's pretty obvious she's crossed the line and has begun exploiting her son's death. There's plenty of people who lose kids in Iraq and behave stoically, even if they resent Bush. The fact that she's out there with a bull horn basking in attention (mostly due to a slow news month) reveals a lot about her character.

That you are desperate enough to attack a Gold Star Mother is proof of how corrupt and disgusting you are, Cal. You will never be able to claim to be a person of high morals after this. This woman lost her son in Iraq. And don't tell me he knew what he was getting into as is also being posted around the net. He died before we knew there were no WMDs, before we knew about the Downing Street Memo. He died when we still believed Bush was an honest man. We know better now.

As for MP, tell me again when you plan to enlist. I want to be there to send you off to Iraq.

I believe Cindy.............................

From Sheehan's hometown newspaper from June 24, 2004

Casey's parents, Cindy and Patrick, as well as their three children, have attended event after event honoring the soldier both locally and abroad, received countless letters of support and fielded questions from reporters across the country.
But none of that prepared the family for the message left on their answering machine last week, inviting them to have a face-to-face meeting with President George W. Bush at Fort Lewis near Seattle.
Surreal soon seemed like an understatement, as the Sheehans - one of 17 families who met Thursday with Bush - were whisked in a matter of days to the Army post and given the VIP treatment from the military. But as their meeting with the president approached, the family was faced with a dilemma as to what to say when faced with Casey's commander-in-chief.
The 10 minutes of face time with the president could have given the family a chance to vent their frustrations or ask Bush some of the difficult questions they have been asking themselves, such as whether Casey's sacrifice would make the world a safer place.
But in the end, the family decided against such talk, deferring to how they believed Casey would have wanted them to act. In addition, Pat noted that Bush wasn't stumping for votes or trying to gain a political edge for the upcoming election.
"We have a lot of respect for the office of the president, and I have a new respect for him because he was sincere and he didn't have to take the time to meet with us," Pat said.

"I now know he's sincere about wanting freedom for the Iraqis," Cindy said after their meeting. "I know he's sorry and feels some pain for our loss. And I know he's a man of faith."

The meeting didn't last long, but in their time with Bush, Cindy spoke about Casey and asked the president to make her son's sacrifice count for something. They also spoke of their faith.
For a moment, life returned to the way it was before Casey died. They laughed, joked and bickered playfully as they briefly toured Seattle.
For the first time in 11 weeks, they felt whole again.

"That was the gift the president gave us, the gift of happiness, of being together," Cindy said.

As I feel sorry for the death of her and her family, but it was his choice to join the armed services. He was not forced or drafted. He new going into it that this could very possibly happen to him someday. My brother is going over in a few weeks, and we are all very proud of him, but we all know the risks, and it was his choice to join too. As soon as you sign your name to the military, this can happen. The military is really there for only one reason, it is sad to say, but it is there to teach soldiers to kill other soldiers, and if you don't you can be killed. Every soldier knows this when they sign up.

So I think that Cindy is blowing it all up for a little recognition. Lets have sorrow for the dead but not exploit them.

It's okay if she didn't agree with the war.... :???: That's her right... But what she is saying and doing is aginst everything her son stood for :shock: ... I would think she wouldn't want to embarrass her son anymore... :roll:

BRG said:
As I feel sorry for the death of her and her family, but it was his choice to join the armed services. He was not forced or drafted. He new going into it that this could very possibly happen to him someday. My brother is going over in a few weeks, and we are all very proud of him, but we all know the risks, and it was his choice to join too. As soon as you sign your name to the military, this can happen. The military is really there for only one reason, it is sad to say, but it is there to teach soldiers to kill other soldiers, and if you don't you can be killed. Every soldier knows this when they sign up.

So I think that Cindy is blowing it all up for a little recognition. Lets have sorrow for the dead but not exploit them.

I wish your brother the best. Is Bush not exploiting the dead when he says we must honor those who have died by finishing the job? That's one of Cindy's sore spots. She doesn't want Bush to use Casey's death as an excuse for more young Americans to die.

Yes, soldiers are paid to kill people. But a President of the US should not use our military for his own personal vendettas or to line the pockets of his friends and I firmly believe that is what the Iraqi war is about.

Some of the stuff you say is just dumb, Disagreeable. How was Cal's posting an article written by Ann Coulter "attacking" a gold star mother? When a person purposely puts themselves out in the media like she did, it's inevitable that not everyone will be dropping at her feet in adoration.

The fact of the matter is, Cindy Sheehan once supported the war, and even supported it after her son died, as the article from her hometown newspaper indicates.

While it's possible that organized publicity has nothing to do with her protest in front of Bush's ranch, it certainly isn't very plausible. My theory is that the MoveOn folks and others of their ilk have been searching for someone like this woman to be a poster child against the war. They stumbled across Cindy Sheehan, who's demeanor obviously indicates she craves attention, and used her for their own purposes. If you seriously believe that she just woke up one day, drove over to the ranch, and began her protest without any goading from the anti-war crowd, then I have a great time-share deal I'd like to tell you about.

As for me joining the army, I'll do it as soon as I see you camped out in front of the President's ranch. Why don't you do more to end the war if you feel so strongly about it? Hate to break it to you, but babbling in an online discussion forum doesn't exactly make you Gandhi. So how about it, Disagreeable, why not hunger strike? Or sit out in traffic? I'd love to see it.

"We have a lot of respect for the office of the president, and I have a new respect for him because he was sincere and he didn't have to take the time to meet with us," Pat said.

"I now know he's sincere about wanting freedom for the Iraqis," Cindy said after their meeting. "I know he's sorry and feels some pain for our loss. And I know he's a man of faith."

"That was the gift the president gave us, the gift of happiness, of being together," Cindy said.

I know he's a man of faith."

Disagreeable said:
That you are desperate enough to attack a Gold Star Mother is proof of how corrupt and disgusting you are, Cal. You will never be able to claim to be a person of high morals after this. This woman lost her son in Iraq. And don't tell me he knew what he was getting into as is also being posted around the net. He died before we knew there were no WMDs, before we knew about the Downing Street Memo. He died when we still believed Bush was an honest man. We know better now.

As for MP, tell me again when you plan to enlist. I want to be there to send you off to Iraq.

You must be a member of Saddam Husseins Internet Trolls
I don't believe you any more give a damn about any soldiers or any of their mothers than this pathetic group filling Cindy full of crap that she finally swallowed. I can't think of many more ways that you could show contempt for the military, the troops, their mission, and their accomplishments, than you already have. All good news, and war successes, have the effect on you of a blood thirsty vampire being exposed to a crucifix. Bush isn't the liar. That honor goes to you and your ilk. Oh, and spare us your polling data, we had enough of that from before the election that didn't turn out the way you told us it would.

As for signing up, I'm too frigging OLD!

Dis wrote:
tell me again when you plan to enlist. I want to be there to send you off to Iraq

Been there, and would be there now, had clinton not decimated our forces,

even with that said, if there was a way for me to serve my country, I would gladly go and serve it to the best of my ability....

when reading the article posted by Cal, one line lept out and I felt it was worth repeating, it seemed to me to discribe Ole lady Dis to a T

But now liberals demand that we listen to the same old arguments all over again,

and again and again,,,,,,,,,,,,,

katrina said:
It's okay if she didn't agree with the war.... :???: That's her right... But what she is saying and doing is aginst everything her son stood for :shock: ... I would think she wouldn't want to embarrass her son anymore... :roll:

Your arrogance is unbelievable! You don't know what her son stood far. She can't embarrass her son; he's dead, Katrina. Dead. This war isn't a game as Steve would like us to think. It's deadly serious and thousands of people are dead. Why? Because Bush wanted to get Saddam and lock in a supply oil for his pals. Pretty cut and dried there; he used our military for his own personal vendetta and it's coming back in his face as more and more Americans start asking the questions Cindy Sheehan is asking.

I get it Casey Sheehan disagreed with Bush so much.....................

HE REENLISTED

"I now know he's sincere about wanting freedom for the Iraqis," Cindy Sheehan

I know he's a man of faith." Cindy Sheehan

When God calls you to him do you think he cares what you're doing???? Yes I know he's dead.(duh???) Coarse only an athiest like you would not understand that God takes you when he chooses not because your doing a certain job or thing!!!! What is more honerable serving your country and paying the ultimate price or driving down the highway and dieing in a crash or any accident???? Who doesn't get it???
Disagreeable YOU SCARE THE HELL OUT OF ME WITH YOUR IDIOT MENTALITY.....

passin thru said:
I get it Casey Sheehan disagreed with Bush so much.....................

HE REENLISTED

"I now know he's sincere about wanting freedom for the Iraqis," Cindy Sheehan

I know he's a man of faith." Cindy Sheehan

No one said Casey Sheehan disagreed with Bush. When Bush comforted Cindy, it was before the report that there were no WMDs, before the Downing Street Memo showed us Bush was twisting the intelligence to justify his war. Cindy Sheehan payed attention to those reports and now she disagrees with Bush. Casey is dead, dead, dead. You can ignore that if you want, but Cindy can't ignore it. She misses him every day, as do others who have lost loved ones. Some of them still support the war, some don't. I wouldn't even consider insulting someone who has lost a loved one and still supports the war. But not you. That's their decision. We mourn differently. When you and Katrina, Steve, Cal, (and Rush) throw dirt and trash on a Gold Star Mother, it makes most of us sick. Actions like attacking Cindy Sheehan and your Religious Right buddies out protesting at soldier's funerals is showing you for the kind of people you really are.

Cal said:
Disagreeable said:

You must be a member of Saddam Husseins Internet Trolls

Nope, I'm a bred and born American citizen, a registered Democrat. Insults are a sign of desperation, Cal.

I don't believe you any more give a damn about any soldiers or any of their mothers than this pathetic group filling Cindy full of crap that she finally swallowed. I can't think of many more ways that you could show contempt for the military, the troops, their mission, and their accomplishments, than you already have. All good news, and war successes, have the effect on you of a blood thirsty vampire being exposed to a crucifix. Bush isn't the liar. That honor goes to you and your ilk. Oh, and spare us your polling data, we had enough of that from before the election that didn't turn out the way you told us it would.

I don't care what you believe or think about me. I'm sure that's a surprise! That you say Cindy Sheehan is full of crap shows you true colors, it makes me smile because most of America sees her as a grieving mother. I'm about the only person on this board who has complained about the mis-management of this war. No matter how you feel about the war, anyone with a brain would question sending too few troops, no body armor and not enough armored vehicles. You don't support the troops, you support George W. Bush. I'll keep posting the polling numbers as long as I'm allowed to post here. Most people on this board seem to think freedom of speech is a good thing. By all means, post something about our successes in Iraq, from a mainstream news report, of course. You're a liar. I never said Kerry would win the election.

As for signing up, I'm too frigging OLD!

That was to mp, not you. He's not too old. Yet he sets on the sidelines and cheers while young Americans die. Would you encourage him to join up?

katrina said:
When God calls you to him do you think he cares what you're doing???? Yes I know he's dead.(duh???)

If you knew Casey was dead how could Cindy embarrass him? What arrogance makes you think you know this young man's thoughts better than his MOTHER?

Coarse only an athiest like you would not understand that God takes you when he chooses not because your doing a certain job or thing!!!!

Athiest? As I told Cal, insults prove that you're out of real arguments, not that there has ever been a real argument on this site for the war.

What is more honerable serving your country and paying the ultimate price or driving down the highway and dieing in a crash or any accident???? Who doesn't get it???

I think staying alive and serving your country is more honorable than unnecessarily dying for it. Who knows what Casey Sheehan could have contributed to our country if he had lived? He might have discovered a cure for cancer, or BSE. He died, along with almost 1900 other young people, because George W. Bush mislead this country into an unnecessary war.

Disagreeable YOU SCARE THE HELL OUT OF ME WITH YOUR IDIOT MENTALITY.....

I'll bet I do scare you. Someone who has the good sense to read, learn, and stand up for what they believe is a scary thing for people like you. You don't scare me, Katrina. I've got your number and, thankfully, so have most Americans.

Th3 thing I find interesting..............................Cindy despised Bush for winning the election in 2000, so this is deep rooted and did not come from any new information she found. All a person has to do is read her website and they can see this hate for Bush was there in 2000.

Dissagreeable wrote:I'll bet I do scare you. Someone who has the good sense to read, learn, and stand up for what they believe is a scary thing for people like you. You don't scare me, Katrina. I've got your number and, thankfully, so have most Americans.

Again you prove just how big of an idiot you are :roll: :roll: I would much better be with the ones like me than you....

Latest posts