• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Clarence

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Martin Jr.

Reaction score
RIP Clarence Nollett. My father's eldest brother passed away yesterday evening. My uncle was born into the Great Depression. But in the stark landscape of rural south central South Dakota, my uncle found a world of endless interest to him. That I believe is Clarence's best legacy, his curiosity. He was an avid reader and took interest in the landscape around him. There is nothing quite like a calm morning out on Hillcrest Base, the CB radio designation of the family's home place. My earliest memories are of Clarence endearing himself to his nieces and nephews by showing slides on Sunday evenings at family gatherings out at the home place, often of his military experience. Clarence was part of the military in the late forties and among some of the first army personnel to work on helicopters. My uncle also witnessed a nuclear test from a distance on a ship out in the Pacific during his time in the army. I remember wanting to ride along with Clarence or my uncle Lyle, when they said they were going out to check pastures in the evenings. My uncles spared no expense to make sure their "city kid" nephews knew something about how life began in the country. For that I will remain eternally grateful. I was less successful at working for him for a very brief period in high school. But there always remained an enthusiasm with Clarence with respect to the appreciation of nature and the influence and practice of agriculture on the land. Apart from a couple of years in the service, Clarence had lived at the home place most of his life and leaving his home remained one of the hardest things for him. I will always remember my uncle for his love of the country. And it is gorgeous country, folks don't take it for granted. I think that is the best way to honor Clarence's memory. By Christopher Nollett

Thank you, Martin Jr. for sharing this tribute and giving us a glimpse of who Clarence was. He was a long-time member here and shared his wisdom . I remember when he had to leave his home due to health reasons and know it wasn't easy for him.

May he Rest In Peace.

Thank you for letting us know.
I so enjoyed meeting Clarence and you Martin at our get together in Deadwood and seeing Clarence's pictures of the barns.
I also remember when Clarence had to move from home and remembering checking out his auction sale.
Sad to lose the old timers but like my Dad. I say we can miss them but I don't think they would want us to be sad.
Heaven will be a better place.

Latest posts