• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Clipping pastures

Help Support Ranchers.net:

George

Reaction score
I moved the cattle for the first time this year today - - - 14 cows and calves and 3 heifers I'm going to breed in June made quick work of 7 acres - - - I like to clip them as soon as I move the cattle off - - - Even clipping at least 3 times a year and the wooded pasture I bulldozed in 2003 still gets locus trees as big as my thumb and about 5' tall every time I mow. I just used the 21' bushhog and will go back witht he 7' bushhog on the skid steer to trim later.

Just a little wide going to the next field.

So far just 2 smokey calves this year - - - 2 smokey cows left to calve and 2 Angus left - - - I think they like the new pasture better than where they just came from!

One of the Charolis in the background - - - this is "Olde Meany" I have finally figured out to tag her calf use the skid steer to put her in the barn, climb on the divider and rope her, cinch her up close, tag the calf and get out, reach thru and release her. I keep hoping she comes up open but this is her 10th calf for me so I just let her stay.

Yep, every time you clip them the roots grow bigger. Would be better to have a grubber and pull them out.

Fire ant hills make it tough to clip weeds down this way. A good herbicide spraying program is the way to go.

Mike said:
Fire ant hills make it tough to clip weeds down this way. A good herbicide spraying program is the way to go.

I would think the mower would level the fire ant hills - - - but that might not be good as they might spread? The stump jumpers on this mower are 4' in diameter and 1/2" thick and the gear boxes are rated for a 160 HP tractor so I would think it would handle them like the mounds around ground hog holes - - - with this little 65 HP tractor they will sure drag the tractor down but the mound sure levels out.

If I'm chopping corn stalks or mowing heavy grass I have to use the 4650 with 165 HP but the cab does not like the trees in the pasture and if I clip right after moving the cattle it does not take much HP

Latest posts