• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cole Creek Cedar Ridge 1V

Faster horses

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
28,715
Reaction score
20
Location
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
I like his pedigree and I know that HBR Encore goes back to
Shoshone Encore, the bull that Larry Leonhardt bred years ago.
Actually in 1979 he bred a
son to his dam and got Encore. That bull is what his whole
herd is based on. I don't think you can go wrong using this bull.
He's sure one I would consider. People love the Black Cedars.

Good luck!
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
WVGenetics said:
Anybody know anything about this bull or see any calves out of him? He's fairly young and not proven yet, but I really like what I see. I know from some posts earlier this spring that Oldtimer has some familiarity with the Cole Creek cattle and thought he might have some input. Registration # 16134394 and link http://www.universalsemensales.com/detail_angus.php?angus_id=378

Dietz's in ND bought the bull- and they and Van Dykes- plus several commercial folks used him quite a bit last year...I've talked to Kevin Dietz about the bull and I think he is the real thing... Just like Diamond D/Deboos were a "Montana secret" for years- I'm afraid Cole Creek has been discovered too.... And the price of their bloodlines is going up by leaps and bounds.......
Even the midwest folks have discovered them thru 1V's sire Cole Creek Black Cedar 46P....Here is a site/thread that discusses him to some extent:

http://www.advantagecattle.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6365

I've liked the bull since I first saw his pictures after he was sold...One of the things that really impress's me about him is that he is double bred to CH Quantum 6247-- and the 6247 daughters/granddaughters have been some of the nicest I have bought from Cole Creek...

I have a son (Lazy Bar B Juanada Rito 06XReg: AAA 16741353 ) out of Cole Creek Juanadamere 5U who's mggs is 6247- and is probably my best cow (A 4 frame that will bring in 600+ lb heifer calves and bull calves around 700) that I saved and used as a bull this year- not only to add in the maternal qualities of 6247- but also some more Rito 707/Legacy 726T bull I lost.... 6247 semen is no longer available- and he was one way to add his and his dams breeding back to the cows...( 5U's mothers- Juanadamere 102R- last year bull calf sold at Cole Creek this year as 3rd highest for $8250- retaining 1/2 semen interest) ... I use little AI- preferring to run them the same as the commercial guys do- or else I would be breeding heifers to Cedar Ridge 1V...
 

Black Out

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 16, 2011
Messages
75
Reaction score
0
Location
Hop Skip & Juuump east of Soapweed
WVGenetics said:
Anybody know anything about this bull or see any calves out of him? He's fairly young and not proven yet, but I really like what I see. I know from some posts earlier this spring that Oldtimer has some familiarity with the Cole Creek cattle and thought he might have some input. Registration # 16134394 and link http://www.universalsemensales.com/detail_angus.php?angus_id=378
I have several calves out of two year old heifers they were born in april
they look really good If I recall correctly I never pulled a calf out of the 1V's . Some of the damns are out of Cole Creek Seven Son 67T
 

WVGenetics

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 10, 2011
Messages
255
Reaction score
0
Location
West Virginia
Faster horses said:
I like his pedigree and I know that HBR Encore goes back to
Shoshone Encore, the bull that Larry Leonhardt bred years ago.
Actually in 1979 he bred a
son to his dam and got Encore. That bull is what his whole
herd is based on. I don't think you can go wrong using this bull.
He's sure one I would consider. People love the Black Cedars.

Good luck!

Thanks FH. He's definitely on my short list, and it is a very short list when it comes to Angus bulls to use AI. In my opinion, there are very few bulls in commercial AI studs that I would even consider using despite the large number of Angus bulls available. He sure looks like the kind to make females.
 

WVGenetics

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 10, 2011
Messages
255
Reaction score
0
Location
West Virginia
Oldtimer said:
WVGenetics said:
Anybody know anything about this bull or see any calves out of him? He's fairly young and not proven yet, but I really like what I see. I know from some posts earlier this spring that Oldtimer has some familiarity with the Cole Creek cattle and thought he might have some input. Registration # 16134394 and link http://www.universalsemensales.com/detail_angus.php?angus_id=378

Dietz's in ND bought the bull- and they and Van Dykes- plus several commercial folks used him quite a bit last year...I've talked to Kevin Dietz about the bull and I think he is the real thing... Just like Diamond D/Deboos were a "Montana secret" for years- I'm afraid Cole Creek has been discovered too.... And the price of their bloodlines is going up by leaps and bounds.......
Even the midwest folks have discovered them thru 1V's sire Cole Creek Black Cedar 46P....Here is a site/thread that discusses him to some extent:

http://www.advantagecattle.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6365

I've liked the bull since I first saw his pictures after he was sold...One of the things that really impress's me about him is that he is double bred to CH Quantum 6247-- and the 6247 daughters/granddaughters have been some of the nicest I have bought from Cole Creek...

I have a son (Lazy Bar B Juanada Rito 06XReg: AAA 16741353 ) out of Cole Creek Juanadamere 5U who's mggs is 6247- and is probably my best cow (A 4 frame that will bring in 600+ lb heifer calves and bull calves around 700) that I saved and used as a bull this year- not only to add in the maternal qualities of 6247- but also some more Rito 707/Legacy 726T bull I lost.... 6247 semen is no longer available- and he was one way to add his and his dams breeding back to the cows...( 5U's mothers- Juanadamere 102R- last year bull calf sold at Cole Creek this year as 3rd highest for $8250- retaining 1/2 semen interest) ... I use little AI- preferring to run them the same as the commercial guys do- or else I would be breeding heifers to Cedar Ridge 1V...

Thanks, Oldtimer. I figured you would have some good info. From what information I've been able to gather, I too believe he is the real thing. We have a few units of Black Cedar 46P and bred a few cows to him this spring. I believe Cedar Ridge is a little more balanced from an EPD standpoint, and I absolutely love his picture. He's not extreme in any one thing and sure seems like a female maker. Perhaps his best attribute, IMO, is his pedigree. He's completely different than any "mainstream" Angus genetics and like you said, he is linebred to 6247. I have been impressed with the Cole Creek program as it seems to me to be a true seedstock program and not a multiplier. So many seedstock programs fail to use linebreeding and to me, that is a failure. My hope is produce females and possibly a son to retain for in herd use to increase his adaptability to our very different climate. Anyway, I appreciate the info and have one more question. Would you anticipate any major change in his data or should his current data be pretty accurate?
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
WVGenetics said:
Oldtimer said:
WVGenetics said:
Anybody know anything about this bull or see any calves out of him? He's fairly young and not proven yet, but I really like what I see. I know from some posts earlier this spring that Oldtimer has some familiarity with the Cole Creek cattle and thought he might have some input. Registration # 16134394 and link http://www.universalsemensales.com/detail_angus.php?angus_id=378

Dietz's in ND bought the bull- and they and Van Dykes- plus several commercial folks used him quite a bit last year...I've talked to Kevin Dietz about the bull and I think he is the real thing... Just like Diamond D/Deboos were a "Montana secret" for years- I'm afraid Cole Creek has been discovered too.... And the price of their bloodlines is going up by leaps and bounds.......
Even the midwest folks have discovered them thru 1V's sire Cole Creek Black Cedar 46P....Here is a site/thread that discusses him to some extent:

http://www.advantagecattle.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6365

I've liked the bull since I first saw his pictures after he was sold...One of the things that really impress's me about him is that he is double bred to CH Quantum 6247-- and the 6247 daughters/granddaughters have been some of the nicest I have bought from Cole Creek...

I have a son (Lazy Bar B Juanada Rito 06XReg: AAA 16741353 ) out of Cole Creek Juanadamere 5U who's mggs is 6247- and is probably my best cow (A 4 frame that will bring in 600+ lb heifer calves and bull calves around 700) that I saved and used as a bull this year- not only to add in the maternal qualities of 6247- but also some more Rito 707/Legacy 726T bull I lost.... 6247 semen is no longer available- and he was one way to add his and his dams breeding back to the cows...( 5U's mothers- Juanadamere 102R- last year bull calf sold at Cole Creek this year as 3rd highest for $8250- retaining 1/2 semen interest) ... I use little AI- preferring to run them the same as the commercial guys do- or else I would be breeding heifers to Cedar Ridge 1V...

Thanks, Oldtimer. I figured you would have some good info. From what information I've been able to gather, I too believe he is the real thing. We have a few units of Black Cedar 46P and bred a few cows to him this spring. I believe Cedar Ridge is a little more balanced from an EPD standpoint, and I absolutely love his picture. He's not extreme in any one thing and sure seems like a female maker. Perhaps his best attribute, IMO, is his pedigree. He's completely different than any "mainstream" Angus genetics and like you said, he is linebred to 6247. I have been impressed with the Cole Creek program as it seems to me to be a true seedstock program and not a multiplier. So many seedstock programs fail to use linebreeding and to me, that is a failure. My hope is produce females and possibly a son to retain for in herd use to increase his adaptability to our very different climate. Anyway, I appreciate the info and have one more question. Would you anticipate any major change in his data or should his current data be pretty accurate?

Yep that is one thing about the Cole Creek cows is that they are pretty much outcross's to most of the angus breeding so often repeated, duplicated and multiplied by most breeders around the country...They have instead followed their own direction focusing on raising good cows...
In fact Greg's ads and catalog have this statement in them---
NO 9J9-Precision, NO Fame - Focus, NO 315- 036-New Design, and NO Bando 155- Bando 598
 

WVGenetics

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 10, 2011
Messages
255
Reaction score
0
Location
West Virginia
Oldtimer said:
In fact Greg's ads and catalog have this statement in them---
NO 9J9-Precision, NO Fame - Focus, NO 315- 036-New Design, and NO Bando 155- Bando 598

Music to my ears!!! I sure would like to get on a mailing list for catalogs and other info.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
WVGenetics said:
Oldtimer said:
In fact Greg's ads and catalog have this statement in them---
NO 9J9-Precision, NO Fame - Focus, NO 315- 036-New Design, and NO Bando 155- Bando 598

Music to my ears!!! I sure would like to get on a mailing list for catalogs and other info.

About the only place I see him advertise is in the Montana Angus News magazine-- but you can get on the mailing list for his catalog by contacting
Greg Golden
Cole Creek Angus
Box 94
Joliet Montana 59041
phone # 406-962-3743

Their sale is usually toward the end of March.. His comments and articles in his sale catalog are worth getting it alone....
 

WVGenetics

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 10, 2011
Messages
255
Reaction score
0
Location
West Virginia
Oldtimer said:
WVGenetics said:
Oldtimer said:
In fact Greg's ads and catalog have this statement in them---

Music to my ears!!! I sure would like to get on a mailing list for catalogs and other info.

About the only place I see him advertise is in the Montana Angus News magazine-- but you can get on the mailing list for his catalog by contacting
Greg Golden
Cole Creek Angus
Box 94
Joliet Montana 59041
phone # 406-962-3743

Their sale is usually toward the end of March.. His comments and articles in his sale catalog are worth getting it alone....

Thanks!
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
WVGenetics-- here is another site that has some discussion on the Cole Creek program:

http://5barx.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=5903

I think there are a couple more of the bulls discussed in other threads there too-- but thats the one I remembered...
 

High Plains

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
825
Reaction score
0
Location
Nebraska
WVGenetics said:
Oldtimer said:
In fact Greg's ads and catalog have this statement in them---
NO 9J9-Precision, NO Fame - Focus, NO 315- 036-New Design, and NO Bando 155- Bando 598

Music to my ears!!! I sure would like to get on a mailing list for catalogs and other info.

Seems like another radical statement. Running down other cattle from other programs in order to promote one's own outfit. Turns me off right away and I need not read further. Just my own thoughts on it.
 

Big Muddy rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
21,951
Reaction score
52
Location
Big Muddy valley
High Plains said:
WVGenetics said:
Oldtimer said:
In fact Greg's ads and catalog have this statement in them---

Music to my ears!!! I sure would like to get on a mailing list for catalogs and other info.

Seems like another radical statement. Running down other cattle from other programs in order to promote one's own outfit. Turns me off right away and I need not read further. Just my own thoughts on it.

Where do you get he is running other's cattle down?
Maybe he is just pointing out that his cattle are a total out cross.
 

WVGenetics

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 10, 2011
Messages
255
Reaction score
0
Location
West Virginia
Big Muddy rancher said:
High Plains said:
WVGenetics said:
Music to my ears!!! I sure would like to get on a mailing list for catalogs and other info.

Seems like another radical statement. Running down other cattle from other programs in order to promote one's own outfit. Turns me off right away and I need not read further. Just my own thoughts on it.

Where do you get he is running other's cattle down?
Maybe he is just pointing out that his cattle are a total out cross.

My thoughts exactly BMR. It's not running down other programs...just pointing out that his cattle are different! That should be an advantage for someone who has used a bull with one of those bloodlines.
 

Black Out

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 16, 2011
Messages
75
Reaction score
0
Location
Hop Skip & Juuump east of Soapweed
WVGenetics said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
High Plains said:
Seems like another radical statement. Running down other cattle from other programs in order to promote one's own outfit. Turns me off right away and I need not read further. Just my own thoughts on it.

Where do you get he is running other's cattle down?
Maybe he is just pointing out that his cattle are a total out cross.

My thoughts exactly BMR. It's not running down other programs...just pointing out that his cattle are different! That should be an advantage for someone who has used a bull with one of those bloodlines.
I have visited with Greg many times and I don't ever recall him running anybody's cattle down however I will say his pedigree's are quite refreshing. For whatever my two cents are worth!
 

High Plains

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
825
Reaction score
0
Location
Nebraska
Well, then that's good. If the statement is not meant to run down others then I can see how it would be a statement intended to show how his genetics are unique. Have a great day all!
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
I see on another site it has been reported that Genex has leased the Cole Creek Cedar Ridge 1V bull....
 

PATB

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 10, 2009
Messages
571
Reaction score
0
Location
Turner, Maine
Oldtimer said:
I see on another site it has been reported that Genex has leased the Cole Creek Cedar Ridge 1V bull....

has he been leased or were they in negotiations? The rumor I had was that they were talking but nothing was final.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
PATB said:
Oldtimer said:
I see on another site it has been reported that Genex has leased the Cole Creek Cedar Ridge 1V bull....

has he been leased or were they in negotiations? The rumor I had was that they were talking but nothing was final.

He had been being supplied by Universal-- but according to the couple of posts last night on the 5BarX- JBob says Genex leased him....Apparently both ABS and Genex were trying to lease the bull- and Genex won out if JBob Hould (who's brother is a rep) and Larson (who is also) are right...
 

Latest posts

Top