• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Colorado Independent CattleGrowers Association

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
Colorado Independent CattleGrowers Association (CICA)
Press Release

For Immediate Release - August 1, 2005

E-Mail: [email protected]

CICA Disappointed in House CAFTA Vote

Hesperus, CO ~ The Colorado Independent CattleGrowers Association (CICA) today expressed disappointment in the passage of the Central American-Dominican Republic Free Trade Agreement (CAFTA-DR) by the U.S. House of Representatives in a narrow vote of 217-215 held at midnight on July 27.

Despite intense opposition to CAFTA by Colorado agricultural producers, Representatives Bob Beauprez (R-7th District), Marilyn Musgrave (R-4th District) and Joel Hefley (R-5th District) supported the trade agreement.

Representatives John Salazar (D-3rd District), Diana DeGette (D-1st District), Tom Tancredo (R-6th District) and Mark Udall (D-2nd District) opposed CAFTA in the final vote.

CICA President Doug Zalesky, Hesperus, was in Washington, DC for the vote. Zalesky spent three days prior to the U.S House vote on CAFTA making office visits on Capitol Hill encouraging members to vote no on the flawed trade agreement.

"The vote came in the middle of the night and was held open for approximately one hour while deals were made to garner the votes needed for passage. "It was disheartening to witness the politics involved in this process," said Zalesky. "The arm-twisting and political maneuvering by the Republican leadership was simply appalling. Our elected officials are expected to lead by example. The political vote buying I witnessed in Washington, DC over CAFTA exemplifies the erosion of our moral fiber here in America. Traveling with our group to DC was a young man who is a sixth generation rancher from Nebraska. His experiences there were a sad reflection of how politics are conducted today. "

"CAFTA is a disastrous trade agreement that will negatively impact U.S. agricultural producers," continued Zalesky. "During the course of public debate over this agreement, I visited Central America as a member of R-CALF USA's CAFTA Task Force. I witnessed first-hand the low costs of production in Central America, which U.S. cattlemen cannot compete with on any reasonable basis. I also viewed first-hand the political upheaval, the heartbreaking poverty in Central American nations, and the complete absence of labor and environmental protections. CAFTA fails to implement labor protections for these poverty-stricken nations, leaving the workforce in Central America ripe for exploitation by global interests. CAFTA will accelerate the concentration of agricultural production into the hands of a few multi-national companies, while many will suffer - both here in the U.S. and in Central America."

"We thank Representatives Salazar, DeGette, Tancredo and Udall for their support during this crucial vote," said Zalesky. "We also thank R-CALF USA for its remarkable efforts to defeat CAFTA. R-CALF members everywhere can be assured they have a strong voice in DC. If not for the work done by R-CALF USA, the passage of CAFTA would have been by a much greater majority. In the end it took a personal visit to Capitol Hill by President Bush to accomplish the two vote margin for passage. That speaks volumes about R-CALF's influence. R-CALF members in Colorado far outnumber those in other national cattlemen's organizations, and I was able to deliver that message to our elected officials. While we are extremely disappointed in the final outcome on CAFTA, we have made great strides in letting our congressional delegation know which organizations speak for grassroots producers."

"With passage of CAFTA, the focus must now shift to other battlegrounds. Implementation of mandatory country of origin labeling (COOL) is crucial so American consumers will have truthful food labeling that will enable them to make informed food purchases. We look forward to becoming engaged in the public debates over the Andean Trade Agreement, which will be negotiated by year's end. The Andean agreement, in terms of impact, will be exponentially greater than CAFTA. CICA will also be involved in captive supply reform as it relates both internationally and domestically. There is much to be done, and producers can count on CICA to be there," commented Zalesky.

Colorado Independent CattleGrowers Association (CICA) is Colorado's fastest-growing grassroots cattle producer organization, representing grassroots producers on a state and national level. CICA is an R-CALF USA state affiliate. Membership dues are $50. Dual memberships in CICA and R-CALF USA can be purchased for $85. To join contact Kimmi Lewis at 719.384.4093 or email at [email protected].

Typical trade fear mongering!

What Doug Zalesky doesn't tell you is that we already trade with these countries and they are not meeting their quotas now. Where was all the concern for the financial stability of these countries in the past? These countries already have access to our markets.

How ironic that these R-CALFers have no problem crippling Canadian producers financially but suddenly they have great concern for Central American producers?

What a bunch of hypocrites!

All these guys did is spread their typical "SKY IS FALLING" trade fear mongering and the majority of conservatives saw right through it.

Watch as the sky falls in.

These are the same folks that said WE HAD TO HAVE PRICE TRANSPARENCY with Mandatory Price Reporting. Heck, MPR could slip from existance today and none of these guys would even notice.

Colorado and their liberal democrats. R-CALF should feel right at home. Too bad Pete Coors didn't make it in. He would have saw through the liberal smoke screens.

~SH~

~SH~ said:
Typical trade fear mongering!

What Doug Zalesky doesn't tell you is that we already trade with these countries and they are not meeting their quotas now. Where was all the concern for the financial stability of these countries in the past? These countries already have access to our markets.

How ironic that these R-CALFers have no problem crippling Canadian producers financially but suddenly they have great concern for Central American producers?

What a bunch of hypocrites!

All these guys did is spread their typical "SKY IS FALLING" trade fear mongering and the majority of conservatives saw right through it.

Watch as the sky falls in.

These are the same folks that said WE HAD TO HAVE PRICE TRANSPARENCY with Mandatory Price Reporting. Heck, MPR could slip from existance today and none of these guys would even notice.

Colorado and their liberal democrats. R-CALF should feel right at home. Too bad Pete Coors didn't make it in. He would have saw through the liberal smoke screens.

~SH~

SH- When was the last time you were in Central America?

And I agree with Pete Coors- At least Coors co. knows the importance of telling people the origin location of food products- and what a marketing tool it can be...

OT,

I have never been to Central America, does that mean I can't possibly know anything about CAFTA?

Doug Zalesky and the rest of the R-CULT vacationers were on a witch hunt to support their position. They weren't there to learn anything.

If their argument about "you can't trade with countries that have no money" had any merit, how do you explain our trade SURPLUS with Mexico prior to the border closing?

I GUESS THAT DOG WON'T HUNT WILL IT?

Just keep nodding your head OT!

If Country of Origin was such a great marketing ploy, why has Ranch Foods Direct failed to realize a profit selling a "BORN, RAISED, AND PROCESSED IN THE U.S." branded beef program?

Once again, your "OPINION" is shot down in flames by the "FACTS".

~SH~

~SH~ said:
OT,

I have never been to Central America, does that mean I can't possibly know anything about CAFTA?

I was just wondering- you were giving all this "expertise" criticism- but as usual you are just shovelling bullsh*t :wink: :lol:

OT: "I was just wondering- you were giving all this "expertise" criticism- but as usual you are just shovelling bullsh*t"

Yup, keep telling yourself that OT because your inability to contradict anything I have stated with opposing facts shows how "factually void" you are to defend your position.

DENY, DISCREDIT, DECEIVE, DIVERT!

Same-O OT!

~SH~

Oldtimer said:
~SH~ said:
OT,

I was just wondering- you were giving all this "expertise" criticism- but as usual you are just shovelling bullsh*t :wink: :lol:

Oldtimer have you or Leo or Bill or Haymaker or Sandhusker or anyother R-CALF supporter been in Canada to see what is really happening in Canada. And I don't mean in a bar I mean in a feedlot or slaughter plant or feedmill or ranch or farm at harvest time to see just how many small animals and birds are picked up in a combine. If you haven't then Where are you getting you expertise or are you shovelling a little bullsh*t yourself. :roll:

Tam said:
Oldtimer said:
~SH~ said:
OT,

Oldtimer have you or Leo or Bill or Haymaker or Sandhusker or anyother R-CALF supporter been in Canada to see what is really happening in Canada. And I don't mean in a bar I mean in a feedlot or slaughter plant or feedmill or ranch or farm at harvest time to see just how many small animals and birds are picked up in a combine. If you haven't then Where are you getting you expertise or are you shovelling a little bullsh*t yourself. :roll:

Give it a break Miss Tam ,you know as well as every one on this site as there have been many articles posted about the feed ban being violated....good luck

Tam said:
Oldtimer said:
~SH~ said:
OT,

Been there many times-- I may have even been sneaking around behind your house when we were chasing some of those dope smugglers :wink: - thats back in the good old days when the mounties could issue a search warrant to see if you needed to go to a magistrate and get a real search warrant :? :) ...Definitely was sneaking around your hometown gathering them up-- Maybe you should have been worrying about me instead of ol Haymaker :lol: :lol:

Birds, mice, and grasshoppers still don't account for that cow that was born after the feed ban....

Oldtimer said:
Tam said:
Oldtimer said:

Been there many times-- I may have even been sneaking around behind your house when we were chasing some of those dope smugglers :wink: - thats back in the good old days when the mounties could issue a search warrant to see if you needed to go to a magistrate and get a real search warrant :? :) ...Definitely was sneaking around your hometown gathering them up-- Maybe you should have been worrying about me instead of ol Haymaker :lol: :lol:

Birds, mice, and grasshoppers still don't account for that cow that was born after the feed ban....

thats back in the good old days :wink: when was that Oldtimer? What decade are we speaking of? :? And when you were chasing drug smugglers, were these guys hiding out in slaughter plants, feedmills and feedlots so when you went in to arrest them you had time to look around to see what was happening in the BEEF industry, back in the good old days :wink: ? And did what you see give you the expertise to comment decades later. You never answer about the rest of the gang have they been to Canada in the good New days say with in the past two years to see what is going on. Or are they just shovelling Bullsh*t too? When was the last time Leo or Bill were in Canada?

One more question did the USDA collect up all the feed in the system in Aug 1997 and destroy it or was it fed to cattle just like it was in Canada? If I were you I would not be pointing any fingers about contaminated feed as the US has found BSE in the U.S. herd and with U.S. system you are just as like to have a cow born after the feed bans as we were. If you really look at the systems you are much more likely as you still feed chickensh*t to your cattle. :(

I was just down to Winnet Montana to get our son and he told me of all the birds and small animals that he unintentionally ran through his combine so I can just see the headlines.

Sabotage Expected When Undeclared Animal Protiens Were Found in Feed Samples that Were Harvested by a Canadian Custom Combining Crew. Details are as follows Farmer found the remains of a CCIA tag in the grain hopper after the crew complained of the combine being plugged. We are waiting on the USDA and FDA to investigate the incident.

Are you telling me I have something to worry about with you? :shock: I thought you were just another old fart will little to do but drink to much and defend R-CALF and their lies? :wink: Maybe I should have someone besides Haymaker watching my backside just incase you become creepy too. :???:

Tam said:
Are you telling me I have something to worry about with you? :shock: I thought you were just another old fart will little to do but drink to much and defend R-CALF and their lies? :wink: Maybe I should have someone besides Haymaker watching my backside just incase you become creepy too. :???:

Tam- I think feeder is right- you need to talk to a professional...Everyone is out to get you- R-CALF, Leo, Bill, Haymaker and now me... Paranoia is overwhelming you :( ... And sometimes a good bartender knows more than a certified mental health professional :wink: :lol: ......

Oldtimer said:
Tam said:

Tam- I think feeder is right- you need to talk to a professional...Everyone is out to get you- R-CALF, Leo, Bill, Haymaker and now me... Paranoia is overwhelming you :( ... And sometimes a good bartender knows more than a certified mental health professional :wink: :lol: ......

Miss Tam I appreciate the offer,but I have no desire to watch your backside................good luck

Why is it that every time I go on this site, Hay Maker is posting his garbage. I guess you don't have a job, or are just some bitter old loser texan with nothing better to do. What a wasted life. I feel sorry for you, you're pathetic.

I really hope Hay Maker and RedRiver arn't going to ya'lls little git'together up at Deadwood....there might be a killin!!!! And no one will be holding the dead mans hand :wink: :wink:

Trivia: Anyone here know what the dead mans hand is?? :wink:

redriver said:
Why is it that every time I go on this site, Hay Maker is posting his garbage. I guess you don't have a job, or are just some bitter old loser texan with nothing better to do. What a wasted life. I feel sorry for you, you're pathetic.

Red rover I dont wanna hurt your feelings but,even MIss Tam is not desperate enough to befriend you :D :D :D ............good luck

Oldtimer said:
Tam said:

Everyone is out to get you- R-CALF, Leo, Bill, Haymaker and now me...
I wasn't worried about you Oldtimer until you posted Maybe you should have been worrying about me instead of ol Haymaker Which is it should I worry about your or should I.
And sometimes a good bartender knows more than a certified mental health professional
That explains why you and Haymaker spend so much time in those kind of places. :wink: I just think it is to much fun venting on here to bother paying a certified mental health professional to have the pleasure. But don't worry about me. [/quote]

Latest posts