• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Confirmed Case

Help Support Ranchers.net:

R-Calf Response
Suspect Sample Tests Positive for BSE

(Billings, Mont.) – After two weeks of uncertainty awaiting test results on brain tissue from a cow originally declared free of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) in November 2004, and then declared a 'weak positive,' by the agency on June 10, U.S. cattle producers today learned that the animal in question was indeed afflicted by BSE. USDA gave no indication as to whether the infected cow was another imported animal or if it was a domestic animal. USDA said an investigation into the origin of the animal is ongoing.

For reasons still unknown, USDA's Inspector General recently requested tissue samples from all three of last year's questionable cows – samples the agency first announced as 'inconclusive,' and then negative for BSE – be retested. In a news conference this afternoon, USDA officials announced that tests conducted at The Veterinary Laboratories Agency in Weybridge, England, confirmed the BSE-positive results. A recent statement issued by OIG said its investigation into USDA's BSE Surveillance Program will continue, and that a final audit report should be complete by late summer.

"U.S. cattle producers have always done everything possible to make certain their beef is safe, and in the early 1990s, significant and stringent control measures were implemented across the industry to provide safeguards against BSE, should the disease ever be introduced into the domestic cattle herd," said R-CALF USA President and Co-Founder Leo McDonnell. "However, these same producers also look to USDA, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to prevent BSE from infecting domestic cattle or posing a risk to consumers."

After today's announcement, R-CALF USA calls on the Bush Administration and Congress to direct these agencies to adopt and enforce additional BSE safeguards including: 1) increased BSE testing; 2) allowing packers the option to voluntarily test for BSE if they choose; 3) strengthening the U.S. feed ban to prohibit the use of blood, poultry litter, and plate waste in feed, as well as prevention of cross-contamination and misfeeding; 4) a continuation of the ban on downer animals; and, 5) continued import restrictions on BSE-affected countries.

"Science says we need to strengthen these protections, and frankly, it's just common sense, so let's take these precautions so that we can continue protecting consumers and our cattle herd," said McDonnell.

"The BSE safeguards already in place here in the U.S. are more stringent than measures any other country has ever implemented prior to having a case of BSE, including Canada," said McDonnell. "Yet, USDA continues to seek to lower our import standards by writing a Final Rule that would allow cattle and additional beef products into the U.S. from Canada, a country that doesn't meet the minimum internationally accepted standards for BSE prevention and control."

Listed below is a comparison of both countries' reaction to BSE, which clearly demonstrates the United States responded much quicker than Canada to implement protections against the disease:

· The U.S. made BSE a reportable disease three years before Canada designated the disease.

· In 1989, the U.S. began prohibiting the importation of ruminants from the United Kingdom (U.K.) because of the BSE crisis there; Canada continued to import ruminants in 1990.

· The U.S. implemented its BSE surveillance program in 1990; Canada did not begin its surveillance program until 1992.

· Canada discovered its first BSE case in 1993, in a cow imported from the U.K. Canada likely rendered 68 cattle imported from the U.K. prior to discovering its first case of BSE. Ten of those cattle were known to originate from BSE-affected farms in the U.K., two of which were known herdmates of the BSE-positive cow discovered in 1993.

· The Harvard Center for Risk Analysis stated that while the U.S. may have rendered 173 cattle imported from the U.K. prior to 1989, "none came from a birth cohort (same birth farm and year) in which a BSE case is known to have developed."

· As of May 31, 2005, the U.S. had tested a total of 433,183 cattle in the population considered to be of highest risk for BSE, and no cases had been found in the domestic cattle herd; Canada has tested only 64,788 cattle in the population considered to be of highest risk for BSE, and four BSE-positive cows have been detected in its domestic herd.

· In 2004, prompted by the Dec. 23, 2003, discovery in Washington state of a BSE-positive cow imported from Canada, the U.S. increased its BSE testing from 20,543 cattle to more than 176,400 animals; in 1994, one year after Canada discovered an imported cow with BSE, Canada decreased its BSE testing from 645 cattle to 426 cattle.

· Even though Canada and the U.S. both implemented feed bans in August 1997, the U.S. had its feed ban in place for more than five years prior to the December 2003 BSE case in a cow imported from Canada; Canada's feed ban, however, was not implemented until almost four years after it discovered BSE in an imported cow.

· Canada has had four cases of BSE in native cattle in the past two years, two of which were announced only days apart, just a few months ago. Of significant concern is the fact that Canada still allows 'downer' cattle into its domestic food supply.

"Just the fact that Canada has had four cases of BSE in native cattle in the past two years suggests the prevalence rate of the disease is higher in Canada than in the United States," noted McDonnell. "All four Canadian BSE cases came from Alberta – the primary source of Canadian exports of cattle and beef to the United States, which suggests there likely are more BSE-infected cattle in Alberta that could be sent to the U.S. if USDA lifts the ban on Canadian imports.

"U.S. beef is still the safest and most wholesome in the world, but if we want other countries to buy our beef, we must demonstrate that we have the appropriate BSE protections in place by raising standards, not lowering them," McDonnell said. "And if other countries want us to buy their beef, they must do the same."

# # #

BMR- "A DAMN LIE "

Ya beat me to it BMR!!! :lol:

But I suppose Lio can say whatever he likes, as he scurries out the back door, like the little RODENT that he is!!! :)

heck leo had all his lies thought up before the test results ever came back. it's his tried and true strategy: just keep on lying. what was that about testing hundreds of thousands of the highest risk animals?

Yeah, I wouldn't get too excited till we find out where she was born. It just might come back and bite us on the a$$.

DJL said:
Haymaker will really need Shelley's bottle of golden brown liquid to calm his nerves now! :shock:

I wonder where he's hiding? Hey, Haymaker, bottle's still up on offer!

I think what we have to think about as US producers is how our beef orgs. respond to this issue. I heard Terry Stokes (from NCBA) on the national radio news at the top of the hour explaining the low risks to consumers, with this being a positive cow. I have felt for a while that it was very dangerous for some of R-Calf's biggest supporters to call the Canadian herd "diseased" and the like. (Johnny Smith).

Now I am sure he will be blaming all this on the USDA, who is not or will never be perfect either. I just can't wait for his rant on the market report tomorrow AM. I willl not be able to listen, so I would appreciate a report from someone tomorrow.

I am not out to demonize R-Calf here, but the corner they have painted themselves into on this looks to be a no winner to me.

I am sure others will see it differently and let me know about it. :D Mainly what I am saying is that I am happy that we have someone working to calm any fears our consumers may have about eating the best food available. Anything else would not be helping us. Period.

...thanks for the post "the real Jake"... maybe both countries can sit down with all of the cattle groups...r-calf included...and get on with it and make it a better industry for all of us ...

the real jake-" Mainly what I am saying is that I am happy that we have someone working to calm any fears our consumers may have about eating the best food available. Anything else would not be helping us. Period."

AMEN!!! You said a mouthful!!! :)

the real jake said:
I think what we have to think about as US producers is how our beef orgs. respond to this issue. I heard Terry Stokes (from NCBA) on the national radio news at the top of the hour explaining the low risks to consumers, with this being a positive cow. I have felt for a while that it was very dangerous for some of R-Calf's biggest supporters to call the Canadian herd "diseased" and the like. (Johnny Smith).

Now I am sure he will be blaming all this on the USDA, who is not or will never be perfect either. I just can't wait for his rant on the market report tomorrow AM. I willl not be able to listen, so I would appreciate a report from someone tomorrow.

I am not out to demonize R-Calf here, but the corner they have painted themselves into on this looks to be a no winner to me.

I am sure others will see it differently and let me know about it. :D Mainly what I am saying is that I am happy that we have someone working to calm any fears our consumers may have about eating the best food available. Anything else would not be helping us. Period.

Every word is the truth. Thank you Jake.

You don't need to demonize r-calf. They did it to themselves. Therefore, if they were to sit in on any discussions as some suggest, how would you be sure that you are not making a deal with the devil? :evil:

...I hear you loud and clear Maple Leaf Angus... somehow we as primary producers need to get together on how we can make the industry profitable for ranchers on both sides of the border...

R-Calf has painted all cattlemen into a corner. Want to bet a few US networks may want to carry the upcoming July court hearings now? The reporters covering them just increased from regional to National.

whiteface said:
I wouldn't go getting all cocky Canada, this wouldn't be the first time they "found" a CCIA tag that simply got "misplaced" during all the festivities. This cow could still very easily show as Canadian then we can all have our BBQ crow with Haymaker. Have a good day all! Thanks for reading from Canada.

If they would have had a Canadian tag for her she would have been announced positive in November.

Bill said:
whiteface said:
I wouldn't go getting all cocky Canada, this wouldn't be the first time they "found" a CCIA tag that simply got "misplaced" during all the festivities. This cow could still very easily show as Canadian then we can all have our BBQ crow with Haymaker. Have a good day all! Thanks for reading from Canada.

If they would have had a Canadian tag for her she would have been announced positive in November.

From Reuters one hour ago

.....The USDA said it was still determining where its new case was born, but said there was no evidence the animal was imported.

Canadian cattle groups said they were not surprised that the United States had found a case, since both countries used to allow imports of cattle from European countries, where mad cow disease has been common.

The disease is believed to have spread through cattle feed. Until a 1997 ban, both Canada and the United States allowed protein made from rendered cattle to be used in cattle feed.

"We've all been aware that there's risk in both countries," said Stan Eby, an Ontario cattle farmer and president of the Canadian Cattlemen's Association.

The new U.S. case could make it more difficult for R-CALF to argue that Canadian cattle should be kept out of the United States, Eby said.

But Alberta's agriculture minister cautioned that because the issue is tied up in the U.S. court system, Canadian farmers should not expect a quick elimination of the ban.

"I don't think that because we have a BSE-positive (cow) in the U.S. that we're going to see the border open tomorrow and things go back to normal," Doug Horner said.

The new case could make it easier for Canada to challenge the U.S. ban under the North American Free Trade Agreement or at the World Trade Organization, said Ted Haney, president of the Canada Beef Export Federation.

"This finding puts Canada and the United States on the same footing," Haney said.

It could also give Canada an ally in reopening beef trade with other countries that have shut their doors to its beef, Haney said.

"Having us both argue the same line and negotiate with the same tactics ... in key markets around the world is very positive," he said.
The USDA announced there was no evidence she was imported when they announced they retested her. And if there was evidence found in the past two week why didn't they tell Canada about it. So we could help in the investigation to where she came from?

Associated Press
Update 6: Tests Confirm Second Mad Cow Case in U.S.
06.24.2005, 04:49 PM

Tests have confirmed mad cow disease in what appears to be the first case in a U.S. born animal, the Agriculture Department said Friday. Officials would not specify where the case turned up, but Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns said there is no evidence the cow was imported.

That's the whole reason for the "retest" Bill, they just "found" a tag!!!! Announcements comeing Monday???!!!! Have a good night all!

I'm with the rest of you on the downers but that is not the only questionable remark made.

(Billings, Mont.) – After two weeks of uncertainty awaiting test results on brain tissue from a cow originally declared free of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) in November 2004, and then declared a 'weak positive,' by the agency on June 10, U.S. cattle producers today learned that the animal in question was indeed afflicted by BSE. USDA gave no indication as to whether the infected cow was another imported animal or if it was a domestic animal. USDA said an investigation into the origin of the animal is ongoing.
Associated Press
Update 6: Tests Confirm Second Mad Cow Case in U.S.
06.24.2005, 04:49 PM
Secretary Mike Johanns said there is no evidence the cow was imported.

"U.S. cattle producers have always done everything possible to make certain their beef is safe, and in the early 1990s, significant and stringent control measures were implemented across the industry to provide safeguards against BSE, should the disease ever be introduced into the domestic cattle herd," said R-CALF USA President and Co-Founder Leo McDonnell.
Aren't these the same safeguards Oldtimer said were the main reasons not to open the border?

After today's announcement, R-CALF USA calls on the Bush Administration and Congress to direct these agencies to adopt and enforce additional BSE safeguards including: 1) increased BSE testing; 2) allowing packers the option to voluntarily test for BSE if they choose; 3) strengthening the U.S. feed ban to prohibit the use of blood, poultry litter, and plate waste in feed, as well as prevention of cross-contamination and misfeeding; 4) a continuation of the ban on downer animals; and, 5) continued import restrictions on BSE-affected countries.
Wouldn't the Feed ban be one of the main safeguards Leo called "significant and stringent control measures were implemented across the industry to provide safeguards against BSE,"

"The BSE safeguards already in place here in the U.S. are more stringent than measures any other country has ever implemented prior to having a case of BSE, including Canada," said McDonnell."
DO the US producer still have the right to legally feed chicken crap and plate waste to their herd? and Does the FDA really know what percentage of compliance the US feed industry has? :???:
The U.S. implemented its BSE surveillance program in 1990; Canada did not begin its surveillance program until 1992.

· As of May 31, 2005, the U.S. had tested a total of 433,183 cattle in the population considered to be of highest risk for BSE, and no cases had been found in the domestic cattle herd; Canada has tested only 64,788 cattle in the population considered to be of highest risk for BSE, and four BSE-positive cows have been detected in its domestic herd.

Since 1990 the US tested 433,138 in two years less Canada tested 64,788
The US herd is 7 times the size and back ten years was probably 10 times the size so take the average of 8.5 times the size. Canada test number 64,788 times 8.5 =550,698 the US tested 433,183 so doesn't that make them about 116,910 head behind and the US had a two years head start according to R-CALF.
· Canada has had four cases of BSE in native cattle in the past two years, two of which were announced only days apart, just a few months ago. Of significant concern is the fact that Canada still allows 'downer' cattle into its domestic food supply.
I'm with the rest this is a damn lie repeated by Leo and should be paid for by Leo in a slander lawsuit. :x
"Just the fact that Canada has had four cases of BSE in native cattle in the past two years suggests the prevalence rate of the disease is higher in Canada than in the United States," noted McDonnell. "All four Canadian BSE cases came from Alberta – the primary source of Canadian exports of cattle and beef to the United States, which suggests there likely are more BSE-infected cattle in Alberta that could be sent to the U.S. if USDA lifts the ban on Canadian imports.
Does this mean the US can import from the other nine Provinces? :shock:
"U.S. beef is still the safest and most wholesome in the world, but if we want other countries to buy our beef, we must demonstrate that we have the appropriate BSE protections in place by raising standards, not lowering them," McDonnell said. "And if other countries want us to buy their beef, they must do the same."
I thought all beef coming from a country affected by BSE was tainted and a genuine risk of death according to Leo and Bill. What changed :???: :???: And according to most peoples views including R-CALF the US doesn't have the highest standards so isn't it time to stop the talk and walk the walk. How can the US beef be any safer in the consumers eyes when BSE was found in the US herd and their safeguards aren't as high as the country R-CALF has been bashing for the last two years? :?

Latest posts