• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cooking from the Garden

Help Support Ranchers.net:

USgal-In-Manitoba

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Just wondering how everyones garden is doing. Ours is already putting out plenty of peas, carrots, yellow squash, zuchinni squash, cucumbers and new potatoes. We have had a few radishes but they've been very hot. Can't keep up with the green onion so we just chopped them off. I don't think the watermelon will amount to much. We never planted any pumpkins. Some of the vines have gotten so large that you can't till in between the rows.

Does anyone have any good receipies for small yellow squash. I love to boil it with onion or put it into a vegi casarole.

UsGal~

Fried Yellow Squash

Sliced long ways bout 1/4 inch thick

salted and peppered

dipped in cornmeal

fried in a skillet with very little oil, just enuff to cover the bottom of the pan

Fry till golden brown......mmmmm mmmmm good

We eat em with ketchup on em.

What is your trick for frying zuccinni, Lilly?
I turn them in eggs and cracker crumbs, but it takes forever.

Tonight I cooked some hamburger, added sliced potatoes,
sliced zuccinni, sliced cabbage and some onion. Cooked that together
for a bit and then added some beef boullion. Let it cook till the liquid was out of it, kinda like you do hash. It was pretty tasty.

When I come home from work, I am plenty tired, so this kind
of supper works really good.

Now if Mr. FH had only learned to cook... :wink:

If I fry zuccinni I do it the same way as yellow squash. But I like yellow better. I do love zuccinni bread tho.

But lately we've had both cooked on the grill on shishkabob sticks...sprinkle with that Montery seasoning, and grill.....perty darn good stuff. For those I cut them in half, then slice them about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch thick cross ways. They don't get done all the way, still a lil crunchy in the middle, but the flavor is great.

what you had for supper sounds like cabbage soup, only it doesn't have a qt jar of tomatos thrown in.

Wow, that all sounds delicious. I'm glad to hear someone else likes yellow squash as much as I do. I just have a hard time finding different ways to cook it where everyone will eat it. I really like zuchinni squash pound cake with carrots and walnuts.....almost reminds me of carrot cake.

I love that fried squash too. I think she dips it in buttermilk and then flour before she fries though.

We grow yellow and zuc. squash and this I really like:
cut it in about 3/4 inch chunks, boil it but not mushy. Keep a little firmness. Drain the water, throw in butter and
enough grated Mexican style cheese (I get the pre-shredded) (or plain cheese with some chili powder added) to flavor it and toss til melted. Add salt and pepper.

It is getting to be around here the best recipe for squash and zuchini is to go to town and find as many unlocked cars as possible :lol:

Hanta Yo said:
cowsense said:
passin thru said:
It is getting to be around here the best recipe for squash and zuchini is to go to town and find as many unlocked cars as possible :lol:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :secret:

YUP WE GOT A FRIDGE FULL OF ZUCCHINI ANYBODY WANT SOME :?

oooohhh...ooooooohhh...pick me!! pick me!!! Dang...we need an emoticon that can raise it's hand and jump up and down!!!! :lol: :lol:

We don't have a garden, too many critters who would consider it their duty to graze it off............but I did bid $1 on a box of squash at hubby's family reunion weekend before last, and bought it for that dollar! In it were 3 nice spaghetti squash and a luscious yellow crookneck.

I chopped the yellow one up the other night, and fried/steamed it with an onion, a little salt and pepper, and even my guys, who swear they hate squash, went hog-wild over it. It was a big skillet full, and when supper was finished, the skillet was empty! :shock: I just got a little bit, too, and the "leavins" when I cleaned up the kitchen.

Not sure what I'll do with the sketti squash yet, though........ :?

ranchwife said:
YUP WE GOT A FRIDGE FULL OF ZUCCHINI ANYBODY WANT SOME :?

I had 2 zucchini Plants an a Tomatoe Plant
I planted them in Tub Planters out on the street {Just for the bELL of It}

Now I laugh because SOMEONE sneeks in at night and steals all the fruit :shock: :shock: :shock: - - That's what it's there for :) :) :) :)

I'm wondering if it Tast Better :???:

As a Youth we rode our horses to the Back of this Cherry Ranch and steal Cherries

The Farmer would come out on his tractor. with his Shot Gun - - He'd shot at us but we had it timed just right and always "Just Made It! :!:

Thoses were the Best Cherries:!:

Years later I was sitting in his house when he said:
"Wanta Have Some Fun :?:

He grab his Shot Gun and we jumped on his Tractor and .........

He Laughed - and - Laughed as the next generation "Just Made It" :!:

I still remember those as the "BEST CHERRIES" :!: :sure: :sure: :clap: :clap:

Latest posts