• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Coor's

Help Support Ranchers.net:

VB RANCH

Reaction score
https://www.thefencepost.com/news/coors-bill-causes-rift-among-colorado-beef-producers-and-cattle-industry-groups/?utm_source=boomtrain&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=weekly-roundup

I was able to hear a good deal of the testimony given during the hearing which drew an over flow crowd. Representative Lewis made an initial statement that was never disputed. Packers purposefully deceive consumers by placing a "PRODUCT OF USA" label on imported beef by merely rewrapping it once it comes here. A lie is a lie and you really can judge a tree by it's fruit. Which in this case is as rotten as the meat JBS sold that was inspected by bribed inspectors.

How is COOL enforced on virtually every other product, including poultry, seafood and fresh produce?

Granted, this is an old post, but the point interesting to me is that for longer than my 78 years, ranchers in the USA have bought stocker/feeder calves born in Mexico and Canada to fatten a bit on USA pastures.

It is reasonable to consider that some multi-generation ranchers currently fighting against any imported cattle or beef have had ancestors, if not themselves, participating in that sort of yearling operation in the not always distant past. Very likely those practices enabled the continuation of those ranches to these days.

Beef trade, even that bred, born, and raised this year in the USA has a significant portion of our product going into the world wide market at prices which improve prices we USA ranchers receive for our cattle. One item: the lean beef imported to blend with the excess fat we produce to raise the very high quality/high priced Prime Beef our USA and world wide consumers want. That blended USA/Imported hamburger sells at a lower price that our beef loving, but lower income consumers (both the USA citizens, and worldwide citizens) cannot afford without the imported beef trade.

It does take much more attention and research and learning all we can about the entire beef industry to be able to understand and use all the information to manage our individual herds to successfully participate in that world market. If we as individuals learn it all, we will have to find people, from researchers to marketers and many people in between to guide us....or get out of the way of producers who will !

I don't necessarily like or approve of everything moving so fast, but the world never has stood still for those of us who would prefer a slower pace, has it? There is a lot about the "good old days' I'd like to keep, but it wasn't all roses back then, either. The old outhouse, no running water, central heat.....and, my Dad died of a now minor heart problem age forty, leaving four little kids under age 10, a sister died of cancer at age 13....life goes on and time flies, and not ALL change is all bad!!!

mrj

In my opinion the largest problem is the only inspection agency is the USDA. To get a USDA roll or stamp you have to meet certain criteria. The certain criteria favors the extreamly large commercial packers. 75-100 years ago (before refrigeration ) a local upstanding businessman from here would harvest and package meat cuts and offer them for sale to the local housewifves and grocers. I would trust that chain of slaughter and sale much much more than the current packer controlled one. Large packers in conjunction with academic researchers and politicians weaponize the regulatory and compliance process to lesson competition. I'd rather buy beef that my neighbor grew and swung from a tree and carved up on the tail gate of a pick up than have some Muslim foreigner with hep c do it in a commercial packing house where they can gas it and add water. Just me I guess. Flies don't bother me as bad as somolians that don't wash their hands.

redrobin said:
In my opinion the largest problem is the only inspection agency is the USDA. To get a USDA roll or stamp you have to meet certain criteria. The certain criteria favors the extreamly large commercial packers. 75-100 years ago (before refrigeration ) a local upstanding businessman from here would harvest and package meat cuts and offer them for sale to the local housewifves and grocers. I would trust that chain of slaughter and sale much much more than the current packer controlled one. Large packers in conjunction with academic researchers and politicians weaponize the regulatory and compliance process to lesson competition. I'd rather buy beef that my neighbor grew and swung from a tree and carved up on the tail gate of a pick up than have some Muslim foreigner with hep c do it in a commercial packing house where they can gas it and add water. Just me I guess. Flies don't bother me as bad as somolians that don't wash their hands.
Ain't that the truth. If you wouldn't send your grandkids to a Somalian daycare center, why would you want them intrinsically involved in the country's food supply? Unless, of course, they only work using their clean hand.

If you're dining with a Somali, don't expose the bottoms of your feet to him/her. Don't eat with your left hand either, since the left hand is seen as the 'dirty hand'. Similarly, don't attempt to shake hands or hand a package with your left hand.

Latest posts